1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Drinks runs at the office

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 29 May 2015.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

If you think thats bad we have a trolley that comes round twice a day stuffed with sandwiches, monster munch, chocolate, sausage rolls. Its a f***king nightmare if you're trying to lose weight.

Also you can have a tab with said trolley, meaning that being skint at the end of the month isn't even a barrier to stuffing yourself with crap all day.

So I sit here waiting until 10.30 when I hear the inevitable 'MORNING, SANDWICHES?', and then i go and buy the obligatory chocolate flapjack/sausage roll and then I sit here and feel guilty for ten minutes before making myself ANOTHER coffee (sometimes I actually write some code).

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

And...... Heeeeere's Godwin! :duh:

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Most internal half/all-day meetings/workshops with more than a few people at my place are catered for by Dominos, and typically at a ridiculous pizza/person ratio. I hate it, yet lack the self control to not devour at least a dozen slices. :/

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That's really bad. I mean sausage rolls, chocolate, crisps on tap that doesn't require up front cash. I'm the kind of person that generally doesn't seek that kind of crap out, but if its there in front of me it'll be gone. I could only imagine the amount of diabetes I'd end up with if I was working there.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

We all seem to offer drinks when heading past the kitchen.
    Typically we do 20-30 trips. Luckily most of us drink Soda so it's easier than making tea & coffee.

Love having a full fridge to raid of every drink you could possibly want :)

6. Newton Sporkfondle

Newton Sporkfondle Spork, the all-purpose eating tool!

Bloody hell, if the worst thing about the last place I worked at, was people asking me if I would like a drink, I would have been a much happier man.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I read chocolate flapjack/sausage roll as Chocolate Flapjack Sausage roll, as in a single item that sent me down a whole different tangent.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The one that irritates me are the smokers who don't have to clock out when they run for a ***...

And then they have the cheek to take a full hour at lunch as well. They work an hour a day less than I do!

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And what about those people with upset stomachs and feel the need to use the toilet more often than the rest of us? Flay them I say.

10. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

And for our American readers the word "***" in this context doesn't mean what you think it does.

:thumb:

11. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Can confirm I offer everyone drinks, take smoke breaks without clocking out and then take an hour break! Oh and I also had my gallbladder removed so have to use the toilet more then your average joe!

12. theshadow2001

But they'll get cancer. So it all balances out.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ouch.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Tell that to my Grandmother who never had a *** in her life, didn't drink, was healthy in general and died in her 50s of cancer.
    My other Grandmother smoked three packs a day while glued to the idiot box and made it into her 90s.

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Take it up with your manager, or do what the none smokers did in the team I use to work in and go outside for the same amount of time as they are outside.

If they are not clocking out then your manager should have no issue with you taking a break at the same time as them without clocking out, even if you don't smoke and if they did then you take it up with HR.

Where I use to work there was the "smokers" and the "brew club".

The brew club members complained about us smokers going out 3 times a day for a smoke break between the hours of 8am and 4pm, we also were allowed to go for one during our dinner break which was only 30 minutes at midday.

Our manager simply told them that they could also go outside if they choose to but since they also all go and sit around the kettle at least 5 times a day, that they really shouldn't be complaining.

Disgusting!

Not all people who develop cancer smoke, and there are people who smoke all there lives and never develop it, but seeing as there maybe a cure for cancer now it won't matter as it could be cured sooner than most would have thought possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32936877

16. theshadow2001

I think my colleagues were probably more put out by me stinking of tobacco than the fact that I wasn't at my desk as much as them.

It seems a minor complaint in my opinion. I think tea/*** type breaks are good just to get people out of chairs away from screens and moving a bit. In my case it aided problem solving.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Problem: I need a smoke.

Solution: I'll have a smoke!

Solved in record time.

18. theshadow2001

You need to go up a level to the problem that made me want a smoke in the first place. :D

19. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Working in networking this has to be one of the funniest things I've read work related :D

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We're getting our kitchen facilities revamped shortly, which includes a water boiler rather than a kettle; so we'll have a boiling water perpetually on tap. That'll pose a problem for those work-shy tw@ts in the laboratory, who piss away hours hanging around in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil - If the kettle has just been boiled as they walk in, they empty it out and re-fill the bloody thing!

To the OP - it costs you how much effort just to say "no, thank you" a few times a day, until they eventually twig that you never say yes? The vast majority of people would through up a rant if they didn't get asked. You miserable git! :p