1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Driving Ban - Expected Punishment?

Discussion in 'General' started by Modsbywoz, 22 Apr 2013.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

There's something called brakes??

Slow down and drop back in.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Legal speed limit for towing a caravan on a single carriageway way is 50mph, and is only upped to 60mph for duals

If the caravan is doing 70mph, it's better to sit back and watch the pending accident of a the fibreglass shed flat packing itself as it spirals down the road.

Nissian GTR, case in point is GPS speed limited to 80mph and then de-limited on known race tracks.

It's also makes my eye's bleed when I read (b), you really thought that, really! Go have a nap and a coffee because due to the edit, you must have had a horrid day.

That's not always the solution as everybody and their mother seems to queue up when the slowest car tries to overtake. BMW M power or Merc AMG sails past nobody thinks it must be clear for him, no they wait to queue up behind the 2CV trying to fight it's way past at 30mph.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Re: speed limiters

Ever sat behind a pair of lorries playing leapfrog uphill on a dual-carriageway?
    How long did it take?
    Don't know?
    That's because there is no such thing as a stop-calendar.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

So you have gone for the overtake and because you haven't read the road properly you think it's a much better idea to increase your closing speed with the oncoming object/vehicle.

You do that and when mister plod finds out the accident was because of excess speed I think I know where the finger of blame is going to point.

The speed limit is the speed limit and no arguing ever get's past that point really.

I'm no goody two shoes by the way and do find myself breaking the limit (albeit not by much) but I know I'm in the wrong for doing it.

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Vast majority of the time it's just people being impatient, however there are some drivers on the road that would try anyone's patience. Namely the go slow brigade and those who have no concept of a constant speed. Then again I drive a tractor so I'm sure I annoy everyone x)

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Tractors don't bug me really, sure it's a instant reaction when I come across one in front to sigh, but really the poor bugger is going flat out, and most try there best to give way for safe passing.

It's the non constant speed muppet's who are behind a lorry that's doing 50mph on the dot and yet the little git behind them keeps closing the gap and braking, rinse and repeat that gets on my goat or grinds my gears. lol!

Big object rolling at 50mph, very hard to miss so why can't you accept you're going to have to 50mph and do it.

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It would be difficult to electronically limit every car to 70, as the speed limit can vary depending on countries. Also those saying that you haven't read the road properly when overtaking. Sometimes people make mistakes, and haven't read the road properly. The solution isn't always just braking and pulling back. People have too big egos on the road, and won't let you back in. They would let you crash head on into someone to make a point, like those who accelerate when you try and overtake to put you both in danger as they don't like the idea of you overtaking them.

Want to make the roads safer? Sort out peoples egos, not their cars.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. rollo

rollo Modder

Nissans gtr is GPS limited to 80mph last I checked outside of race tracks and certain unlocked roads in Germany and a few other places.

So its been done already technically speaking.

If the nutty caravan was doing 70 I'd stay behind and watch the impending accident.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

MLMs and OLMs annoy the bejesus out of me.

It's amazing how often there's a queue of OLMs sitting at 50 or 60 in the outside lane when the rest of the motorway is free for the next half-mile. The same is true of MLMs sitting in "the cruising lane" on an empty motorway.

As for the original topic... the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't commit the crime.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2013
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The only time tractors annoy me is when they go on dual carriage ways at rush hour.

By and large, yes, they do the same speed as trucks, but for the love of god, there's got to be a better time to use a busy road..

Tractors in lanes only annoy me when they driver is an old git that things he owns the lane because he owns the farm that happens to be on that lane. I've watched one of those types force people into a hedge because he couldn't possibly use the stopping place on a lane barely wide enough for two cars. That irks me. Unless I'm behind him then I just feel sorry for the persons car in the hedge and enjoy the road space.

Middle Lane Owners Club bug the **** out of me too. Had one not long ago, I was doing 65 (Slipping clutch so didn't fancy pushing it to 70) to overtake a truck on a three lane road. So there's a truck, me, and empty space. Some jackass in a 4x4 Mitsubishi pickup of some description hurtles up behind me, and immediately starts flashing and swearing instead of going around me on the outside, and instead waits for a gap between the back of my car and the front of the truck to undertake me.

I'd be less bemused by his behaviour if there wasn't a third, totally empty, lane. Wish I had it on video/a police officer had seen it happen.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if a caravan is doing 70 and gets a tug then I`ll happily watch the driver get a vollocking since the speed limit for towing is 60 on a motorway

13. walle

walle Minimodder

It would be unfortunate if he, as a family provider, didn't think about the ramifications of his actions. That said, it is difficult not to speed in a modern car, more so if you enjoy to drive.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2013
  14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I hope he gets the ban to be honest, but at the same time i hope he doesn't as it would mean he would be out of a job and my sister would be the person suffering because they wouldn't be able to afford things. The unfortunate thing is the driving ban affects more than his inability to drive.

He's a moron. Nuff said.

15. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I can't help but think that there is a lot of hypocrisy in this thread.

I honestly don't believe anyone here who drives hasn't gone over the speed limit or done some other kind of stupid, what might be considered illegal maneuver in their vehicles.

Imo they need to delimit roads at certain hours, the m25 at 1am is frackin dead and still you gotta sit at 70,same goes for most 50 dual carriageways, like the A3

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Got to agree with this amazing how many law abiding expert drivers there is on BT :rolleyes:

I have to drive the whole length of the M4 every few months I get in the fast lane and I stay there I even do 70mph when I'm driving slow that speed would drive me mad all the way

17. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

86 in a 50 deserves a ban imo. Even on some of the really silly 50 limits around here, I wouldn't dream of doing anything over 70.

I've gotta admit, there are some silly 50mph zones around Lincolnshire. There are a lot of accidents along these roads, but they won't be because of people losing control at 60mph, because they are all straight and wide roads. The problem is that they have a lot of hidden dips and brows, gradual corners, and are filled with lorries. Idiots overtaking in stupid places are causing most of the accidents, so in what way does reducing the speed limit help? It'll just cause more people to get annoyed and want to overtake.

Most 50's are for a reason though, be it busy entrances or windy roads, so if you're caught exceeding the speed limit, you can't really complain.

Regarding motorways, speed isn't an issue here, it's the lack of space every single driver leaves between them and the car in front. 90+ percent of motorway drivers wouldn't be able to stop if an accident occurred in front of them. It drives me insane, and the problem is that it's actually impossible to leave a safe distance because someone will just fill that space you leave. This is just amplified when the weather conditions get poor.

IMO it's not speed that kills on open roads (30's and 40's in built up areas are a different matter), it's poor driving and/or stupidity. Excessive speed = stupidity, taking risks while overtaking = stupidity (I am always 100% sure it's clear when I overtake), driving while excessively tired = stupidity, driving whilst drunk = stupidity.

I can also honestly say that I'm a safer driver driving above national speed limits than 80% of drivers driving at below national speed limits. This is purely because most drivers are very poor in my experience, and I know that I'm a very good driver. I know I can stay calm in situations others would panic, and I instinctively know what to do when things go wrong. However, speed limits have to cater for the majority and as such if/when I speed, I am aware that I will have to deal with the consequences if caught.

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

After six years on a bike, I can safely say this is all true. It does lead to unfortunate generalizations, though. It's the confirmation bias in action: you never remember the five times a biker rode normally and was courteous, but you remember the one asshole who nearly got himself killed overtaking you.

I think all sensible bikers are a little bit ashamed of bikers. Some of us do act like pillocks.

Yeah...no. I said some of us, not most of us. As much as I agree with your point in theory (bikers can be idiots), your attitude and your language suggest outright prejudice more than anything. "Most" bikers are not idiots, hypocrites or daredevils. We're just normal people who like bikes. Please stop talking about us as if we're all juvenile prats.

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I used to ride a nice little 125cc to work, takes 20mins and no way to go over 30mph, despite the low power I wore full leathers, high vis jacket and always had light on.

Was I a bad driver? doubt it, and why is it "used to ride"?

The inconsiderate taxi driver who simply said "didn't see you"
    Not good enough, car drivers are far to lazy and comfortable in their metal shell to worry about other road users.

The bike was to help me save money to get married and just get to work nicely, yeah I filtered traffic when cars had stopped, thats my perk, i'm also cold, sometime wet and have the hassle of leathers.
    I never took my own life in my hand, people not paying attention, people on phones, people lighting cigarettes, people messing with stereos, peopling talking and looking at the passenger (you see where I'm going)

We all use the roads and all chose how we use them and it bugs me how the bad of both worlds cause the generalisation of the other

(I work for a haulier and I hear many stories how cars risk their lives against the trucks pulling over 26tons)

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

What about the people who use sign language at you for having the audacity to overtake them safely on a straight, empty road at well below the posted speed limit?

Re: "Didn't see you" - A friend's boss was once "didn't see you" while stationary at traffic lights one lunchtime.
    He was riding a bright yellow Ducati, and wearing matching yellow leathers & helmet.