1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Driving Lessons.

Discussion in 'General' started by tkh, 28 Jun 2006.

1. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I had 6 one hour lessons but I had some practice with my dad too. Passed 1st time, 2 minor faults. I doubt I could pass the test now.

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I booked 10 hours but ended up with 12 because i was invited to drive while my instructor was examined. Passed first time with 3 minors and one of those was for being abit cheaky. Like Mushky said having been driving for nearly four years now i doubt i would pass but i bet i'm a safer driver than i was then.

I think lots of practice (informal) is the key, that way when your doing the test you can worry about other drivers and the highway code rather than clutch control or checking mirrors.

Moriquendi

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Avoid those one week courses... they're too intense, and while you get the same amount of experience as you would spreading it over several one or two hour lessons, the psychological effect of knowing that your test is in one week's time when you can't actually drive is quite severe.

I used to be a ADI, and when I was forced to do the week courses by my empoyer, my pass rate fell through the floor.

2 hour lessons are best. Long enough to gain confidence, and learn a lot, but not too fatiguing.

As for the question.. damn.. that was back in 1982.. LOL.. I think it was around 15 lessons. Failed first time for undue hesitancy. In my defence, I had to take my test in a car I'd never driven before tho.

4. tkh

tkh Minimodder

Yeah hope I get to take the test in the same car that im learning in.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Ohh this takes me back, I took 10 1h lessons but failed my test for driving through a red light :D
    I then took another 4 1h lessons and passed.

6. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

Indeed, especially if you need to drive the student before you home, which is normal here in the Netherlands. That's already 30 minutes for me, plus you can go further away. So that you don't know the area where driving.

7. adamjackdrew

adamjackdrew What's a Dremel?

Took me 12 lessons and about 5-6 weeks and passed first time. Took theory before I'd even stepped foot behind a steering wheel and passed that! Been driving nearly 2 years and still loving it! Got my new baby...Vauxhall Corsa on a 55 plate - insurance ain't bad and the handlin's pretty good!

A

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I had about 24 hours of lessons + 2 hours of driving while my instructor was examined. Failed first time with about 200m left to the driving centre (with no minors!) because a lorry broke down in front of me, and apparently instead of just sitting there I should have mounted the kerb to get past. I wasn't sure I was allowed to do that, but anyway - passed the second time with 3 minors.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That sounds like an exceptional circumstance tbh, I suppose in reflection you should've demanded a re-test as you failed on a debatable point.

Personally, I would've said that you should never mount the kerb on a driving test, unless there's no physical room in the road to pass.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I had three hours a week for five months. Didn't pay a bean though :) Instructor was ace, I miss my lessons! Passed first time on all counts.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I had six hours total in-car lessons (8x 45m, plus 30 in the classroom, which is the state requirement), but then again the American tests are unbelievably easy so that doesn't mean much. Don't crash or speed by much for about eight minutes, and smile for the camera. All that spread over about four months :rolleyes: Gogogo in-school driver's education course.

It was quite funny actually, there was some English lady at the DMV the day I went in for my test who had to get a learner's permit, just because the system works that way, and both her and the attendant were laughing at how stupid it was because she had an English license which actually means you have a vague idea of how to control a car.

12. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

my test is on friday :]

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Best of luck, dude! I just had my driving assessment today for work - went out with a colleague in a van that I hope I never have to drive again. Clutch and Go pedals were stiffer than a big bag of stiff things, brake was okay though. No power steering was definately noticeable! Did okay though, considering. Got the use of a pool car, hopefully.

14. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

FAILED!

i got 6 faults - 2 major one entirely accidental as though a road was clear and had to brake hard... other one i simply ran a red light as i nolonger cared.

4 minors 2 for starting in 3rd gear twice and getting away with it as i was seriously stressed, one for a cyclist going onto the road just infront of me, car on other side of the road so he only had a little bit of space... finally i got one for changing of speed?

nerves got the best of me, seriously stressed and upset a few minutes in when i had to harshly brake...

Last edited: 14 Jul 2006
  15. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

I had about 20 hours worth of lessons, 2 hours at a time, you get more done that way :)

Took my first test after 3 weeks, failed. 2 weeks later, was up again, failed. 2 weeks later, passed :D

Had to get my license quicksticks for my job's sake, took less than 2 months, so I was happy. If you don't want to waste £100 and have the luxury of time though, I wouldn't recommend rushing!

Thanks to the nature of my job, it feels like I've been driving for about a year or so, when in actual fact it's closer to four months! You just keep on learning after passing your test :)

Oh and as for the theory, dead easy. Buy a cd from morrisons, £5.99, has some example hazard perception tests on it. Play with that for a couple of hours and there's no reason for you not to pass it first time ;) Sell the cd to someone else whose learning when you're done for a fiver, best 99p you'll ever spend :D

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

8. first time.

Tags: