1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Driving test

Discussion in 'General' started by Dad, 28 Sep 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, Dad has to take his driving test over. I moved and guess I neglected to inform the DMV of my change of address, so I never got a reminder that my license expired - 13 months ago :duh:

I found out that it expired when the nice officer (NY State Trooper) pulled me over for having a blown headlight. The pisser about the whole thing is that I had 2 brand new replacement headlights that I bought not 20 minutes before and she still gave me a damn ticket for the headlight AND an expired license. The only good thing is that I called the court and told them what the situation is and the judge said that if I get everything taken care of by the time I need to see them, they'll probably just drop everything. The part that really blows chunks is that I need to go through the whole process of getting my license again. I took a permit test about a week ago (I aced it thank you), take the stupid 5-hour pre-licensing test, which I did last night and schedule a road test. According to the instructor, there is usually a 5 to 6-week wait to take the test, but thankfully I was able to get an appointment on Monday because someone else cancelled right before me :thumb:

Only I can have problems like this. I mean, I'm one of those people that if they didn't have bad luck, they would have no luck at all.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, Dad, hope the test goes OK - and remember, racing the guy at the traffic lights is not the best way to impress your instructor :D
    Break a leg, and all that...

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

So you're saying NOT to use the 300zx? I'm sure everything will be fine as I've been driving for nearly 20 years.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You mean Americans have to retake their driving test sometime in the life? In the UK you only ever take it once, unless a judge has ordered so because of bad driving.

I read your other "rant" thread, so hope this will solve some problems!

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I believe that it depends on the state. In NY, if your license is expired for >12 mos or revoked, you need to do the whole process over again. I am so sick of driving, I really wish I didn't need a car - the fees for all this are incredible!

6. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Damn that sucks. In Australia (well in Queensland the state that I live in) A license can be renewed (without test) as long as you had held it for at least 6 months in the past 5 years iirc. I believe that also includes disqualifications.

Don't even think about the driving test Dad. They're watching out for nervous, inexperienced drivers. You'll have the on road confidence that they want all drivers to have. You'll probably only do one lap of the block and that will be it. Good luck :thumb:

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

The thing is, experienced drivers lack proper knowledge of the roads. How many expereienced drivers actually look at the mirror before brakin and indicating, stick to the speed limit, use their handbrakes at stops etc? It's probably easier to fail as an experienced driver than as a novice!

EDIT: Sorry if I'm making the situation worse!

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

That's what's been on my mind. I mean, we are all creatures of habbit and I may have picked up a bad one. Plus, it's been nearly 20 years since I've taken my 1st one and laws / requirements have changed. I've actually been in contact with a driving instructing school and scheduled to take a quick "class" with them before the test just to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

9. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Well, got back from the test a few hours ago.. Aced it. No deductions, no points, no errors. The test lady said that I did the 3-point turn and the parallel parking absolutely perfect, had excellent braking and even made a good decision to avoid an accident when some moron decided to cut me off on a 2-lane road..

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Good going Dad.

I know I'd be terrified of having to resit my test.

11. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Out of intrest, Did you use the 300zx?

12. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

:thumb: I knew my faith in you was not unfounded.

In Dad we trust.

Do you have to go back to a provisional type license now or are you on an open license?

13. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yodasarmpit: I was pretty nervous and actually told the dmv lady what my situation was. She laughed and said "stupid dmv. don't worry, you'll be fine". :D

The Cheapskate: :) No, didn't use the 300zx, that's just a toy anyway. I used my primary car which is my Volvo 850.

Constructacon: Provisional license? There's only 2 types of class D (regular) drivers licenses in NY: a DJ or junior license which is if you're < 18 yrs old and a regular D. I am howver on a probationary period as all "new" drivers are. Essentially that just means if I get a ticket for a moving voilation (speeding, etc), it gets suspended for 90 days. I'm not too worried about it as every since I've had kids I don't speed or drive recklessly.

Tags: