1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping folding rate for summer

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Teq, 4 May 2009.

1. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

As I live in a hot as hell flat and do not have access to air con I'm having drop my ppd for summer, this means only my water cooled rig will perform tasks until I find a suitable cooling arrangement for my SLI box.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I suffered a lot with the heat in my attic room last summer - hit 37DegC in there one day - so I know how you feel.

(This summer however, since I've moved, and as part of the re-wiring, there'll be a 9" temp controlled fan shifting 800m^3/hr of air in the new computer lab (when I've finished it - which will be in the next couple of months), so hopefully(!), I'll be churning away for the team all through the summer ..... :thumb:)

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I know how you feel Teq, I'm going to hit serious logistic problems when I build the farm... tbh with you I still haven't found a suitable place to put it in the workshop, and getting the air con unit to work with it will be a challenge as well (most closed racks have grills for intakes, not a single duct like I need). I think I'm going to put a fresh air duct in from outside to provide the unit with cooler air, and like I said before I will be exhausting all the hot air through a dust filter and into a paint drying oven.

If it's a warm summer (fingers crossed it will be :grr:) we will all hit these sorts of problems, at present I have no heating system (be it oil or electric) on in my bedroom, workshop or office because the folding and computer equipment that I am running 24/7 is heating all those spaces enough that its not needed. :jawdrop:

4. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

i got a big 12 inch fan ready to go on the comp table in case i need it :)

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've just had a new aircon box fitted to the cupboard where everything is living.
    It's like having another fridge.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ouch saspro, my AC unit is the same though. Total B**ch on the electricity, but it's necessary most of the time to keep things cool enough to run at 100% load 24/7.

7. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I swapped out the GX2s because I have no aircon and leccy bill is high enough already. The new 260s run 30DegC cooler with fans at about 60% instead of the constant din of GX2s running flat out.

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I'm in the opposite position, I have an Air-conned server room in work that has my 4 x 9800GT rig sat in it but don't have much spare cash to put more rigs in there!

Think I should rent space for a couple of machines to be sat in there with remote access and the money can then be put towards new H/W for me to use! lol :p

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's a good idea. How much space have you got?

10. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

+1 for me on that. A nice desktop fan just to get the air circulating around my machines!

11. 1Razor

@phoenicis Just updated my signature to insert CPChimps stats block same as yours, - delete my user name - insert CPChimps, but it doesn't seem to have worked, is there a trick I'm missing? :confused:

12. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Looks OK to me

13. 1Razor

Yes it is now, just got it sorted, bit of a NOOB moment I'm afraid...........:duh:

14. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Folding rate dropping (or should I say drooping in the heat!) here also.
    I have 4 GPU rigs folding at 3 different locations normally, however I've had to turn one of the rigs in my loft off over the weekend, I dont really want a sauna in my house!
    I just need to convice someone else to host it for me (anyone in Cheshire got a free location in a nice air conditioned rack?!).

15. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

shame they should have done this comp over winter :) who needs central heating when u got rigs folding

16. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Its quite a big room, (13 x 42u racks in there) but I can't take the Pi$$, I can get a couple more rigs neatly in out of the way.

I was sort of joking about it but realistically as I am in charge of the server room I could have a couple more rigs in there but I would have to limit it to say 2 for neatness/safety etc.

Just a thought anyway, did you have something brewing then sas? :naughty:

17. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I'm finished paying for college this month so I should have a few spare pounds to set aside for some decent cooling, thats if I don't decide to jet off to Blizzcon :p