1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ds gaming on a plane?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rich_13, 27 Jul 2005.

1. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Are the nintendo ds's perfectly fine for using on a plane? In single player and multiplayer because I havn't seen a warning about not being able to use them.

Just wanted to know as me and my sisters each have a ds so was wondering if it's possible as multiplayer bomberman ds rocks for killing time. :D

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It is banned on aeroplanes because of the wireless function. Like all electronic devices you have to ask before using them on a plane, and the hostess immediatly said no when I went to Rhodes last week.

3. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

dam, stupid nintendo for not providing an option at start up to turn off wireless mode. Didn't they think about where are likely places to use one!

Wonder if the psp is the same.

4. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I played mine on the plane to orlando and on the way back and no one said anything. I made sure I'd turned off the ingame picto chat thing in touch and go and didn't have anyone to play wirelessly with anyway but that's obviosley a bad idea.

But to be honest I think it's all a bit of a farse they must get millions of people who forget to turn there mobiles off and just leave them in there pockets. or use there laptops but forget to turn off bluetooth and wirless.

Like the whole can't use your mobile in the hospital cos it might upset the equimpent, although the doctors I know (cos the wife works in hospital) carry them round with them (except when there in theatre when it would make a difference!).

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Mobiles aren't banned in hospitals anymore. I aggree with the fact that many people would accidently leave their mobiles on, not sure if its a legal requirement to turn mobiles off, but I guess its up to you whether you want to break the rules or not. But one thing to do is to look on the net and see if the wireless is on during gameplay.

As for the PSP I am about 95% sure that the wireless is on constantly.

EDIT: - bit of googling

http://www.darkain.com/nintendo_ds/faq.php#q20

scroll to:

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Must depend on the hospital .... they are banned here but it's out of politeness more than any technical reson although if anyone asks it's because "it might interfear with the equipment", there's got to be nothing worse than being stuck in a hospital cubical with some idiot haveing a moblie conversation in the bed next to you...

7. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I thought most doctors carried pagers anyway, so I can't see whats wrong in leaving your mobile switched on.

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

The PSP has a switch on the side to turn wireless on/off.

I think the DS occasionally fires out wireless signals even if you aren't specifically playing a wireless game or whatever. I know that even when playing some single player games, you are alerted if someone comes near with pictochat on.

I seriously hope that the airoplane manufacturers don't use the same wavelengths/bands (whatever) as mobiles phones and games consoles etc. Surely they must know about these things?

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

its more of a playing it safe thing, same goes with no radio at petrol stations.

A cell phone shouldn't spark (the car is far far more likely too) and at 1.8ghz or 0.9ghz it shouldn't effect the pump electronics or anything for that matter!

Now measurement stuff, its possible it can effect you. Take a microwave, whilst they mustn't disapate anything nasty (they work on 2.2ghz, resonant frequency of water) any signal that has to get through is buggered. Simply stick your 802.11g/b (2.4ghz) next to it, and watch the signal drop as you heat up some water (never turn an empty uWave on.)

Radar is the fear, more specifically ground radar, but there are many types, and it could be a resonant that effects it. In short keep em off, but don't be too worried once ur in flight, radio waves keep on going, so whilst you fly out over me, sitting in my garden with a cold one, and my tablet, my radio waves will be reaching your plane and doing nothing bad.

10. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

The whole mobiles in hospitals thing always was purely a politeness issue. Having the idea that they might affect the machines was just a good way to get people to actually switch them off. Probably the same thing on planes really, no one wants to be sat in a small space for 4 hours while everyone fiddles with noisy little handheld games or talks on the phone.

I could be wrong, I don't know enough about it to say for sure, but aren't certain planes supposed to be getting tiny internal cell networks with a satellite net connection to keep the signal over sea or something?

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

maybe its because when ur so high up the phone can't get signal so it keeping "pinging"?/ searching for a network which might interfear ??

just a guess.

Hmm might fire off an e-mail to nintendo as an offical statement would be good,

12. Darv

Darv Bling!!

It's prefectly fine to use a DS in single player mode. It's not transmitting anything, you can tell because the power light will flash if you are using wireless.

There are some games that will pick up people in pictochat while you're playing but you can turn that feature off.

Oh and the FAQ on Nintendo.com says all of this. Infact I think it's written in the manual as well.

13. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Dear Customer, thank you for your e-mail.

You MUST check with the airline as there are different policies for different companies regarding the use of digital equipment in aircraft.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Er it should be the likes off nintendo, nokia etc not to use the same as the planes as they were here first. :) And those companies know that the phone or games console they are making might be used on planes and that it will interfear.

What wrong with them banning you using your phone anyway. end of the day its there plane and there rules. And it anoyes me when there are people on there using there phones and say "we are on the plane"

This is always taken the wrong way. It is impossible for a mobile to set a petrol station alite and has been proven many times and to the extream. One TV show even filled a car with over 500 mobiles then smothered it in petrol. Then they dialed all the phones at once. And nothing as youd expect.

The only reason why they dont let you use mobiles is because it may interfear with there electronic equipment that controls the pumps. Like when you sit there waiting as nothing comes out because the person in the shop reading the paper has not noticed your there and pushed the button to let the pump release the petrol.

The petrol stations dont want your phones used as it can interfear with that equipment and the counters on how much your using etc.

nothing is going to blown up.

15. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

indeed but its very unlikely the radio will interfere with the pump counter thing. They are just playing it safe.

If it did work a certain lecturer of mine would probably have a device to stick on a pump to get an "electronics doctorate" discount.

16. Strategy

Strategy Banned

That's one discount that many of us would like to have!

Tags: