1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS Lite Hands-On

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mookboy, 22 Feb 2006.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148175

Sounds really nice, and the screen difference means I am now far less likely to end getting a red DS is the Lite is out of stock come the end of March.

EDIT: Just pre-ordered a white Lite from Lik-Sang. £111 inc 1-3 day DHL delivery. Assuming the initial stock shortage will be over by say mid-March, I should hopefully get it by the magical last week of the month. Now to choose some games...

Last edited: 22 Feb 2006
  2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

nice....

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Navy Blue it is then. That ice blue does look like crap in the flesh.

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I liked the description of the navy blue version, although I fear the fingerprints!

I'd love to see some decent quality video of this thing running something like Mario Kart side by side with a regular DS.

5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

7. K

K 528491

I think it uses the same charger as the GBA Micro. Would rather use a UK one of those than a converter if that's the case. It looks the same as the Micro one in all the pics I've seen.

I'm torn between white and navy. Really, I'd order right now if I could decide. Arghhhh.

8. atanum141

i really would like to own the navy one but i must consider weather i would play this enuf and as i have a negkected cube would this warrent a purchase as ive allready got a ipod vid and so my tube journeys are allready entertained but also if i did get one of these handhelds what game should i get with it......

so many questions and so many doubts....

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

It's got the same connector and rating as the GBM charger, but Nintendo have said that it won't work (apparently - and I can't read Japanese). They were quite specific about how a GBA charger WOULD work in the DS so who knows.

I can't imagine that it could do any damage, but whether it will work or not is somthing else. Step down transformer will work, all you need to do is hack off the plug and put a UK one on, doesn't matter which way round you put the wires in, just leave the earth pin disconnected.

I love the little chargers they send with the Jap consoles. The pins fold into it.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2006
  10. K

K 528491

I don't understand why it wouldn't. If it's the same connection and the adapter has the same rating why wouldn't it? You're right though, even in the English manual it stresses how the adapter isn't compatible with any other systems: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=627000&native_or_pdf=pdf (page 5 of the pdf)

Balls to all that though mate, too much hassle. I'll just put it in me shaver socket :p

The adapter on my gf's Jap DS had me wowed. I might have played with it more than the thing itself. Clickclickclickwow!

11. K

K 528491

Just to be even sadder and geekier here are some SUPER HOT BOX SHOTS (do not mis-interpret 'box shots'): http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/02/21/take-apart-your-ds-and-get-ready-for-ds-lite/

Some great pics that show off the uber-brightness of the screen: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/02/17/ds-lite-sure-is-bright/

Mike: Have you ordered via DHL for a specific reason? I was wondering if you use UPS or something you might circumvent (or at least lessen the chances of) getting slammed with import taxes. The DS I ordered from play-asia got taxed and so did the copy of Electroplankton from lik-sang.

12. atanum141

I was thinking to order from lik-sang but if ur saying it got taxed then how much extra did you pay?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

DHL and UPS are even more likely to get taxed than normal "ground mail" or whatever. If you order from a big company they're more likely to declaire it's real value for import duty than a smaller one.

14. K

K 528491

For the original DS... I think it was a fair bit. Around £25 in total. That wasn't lik-sang though. Although, if your Lite got taxed expect the same amount. Well, it's the VAT plus about a fiver to Royal Mail for paying the charge for you.

Bindi - Didn't realise that. Argh. Oh well. I'll figure something out.

Mike - Did you get taxed on your PSP from lik-sang?

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I have never been stung for tax on games from Lik-Sang but I only order one at a time which keeps it under the taxable limit. The same way you don't pay tax from Play. Larger items over that limit will be subject to tax of roughly 20%.

Some online retailers in the US will mark the package as being a much lower value to avoid import tax this end, but that messes up the postal insurance if you need to claim.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Would it be cheaper just to order 1 lot for all of us? How would that work out for shipping and tax?

Games are cheap though, it's not worth the effort for the taxman to collect a couple of quid. Ive found that if it's over a tenner tax they WILL collect, but under, sometimes they just dont bother. Ive always always always got taxed when DHLing or Courier, but only 50% of the time when using ground mail.

17. K

K 528491

I think I was just unlucky then with Electroplankton as it cost me £4 to the taxman and like a fiver to Royal Mail. What's the point? Seems a bit stupid to me.

I think ordering a big lot would just cause even more problems, haha.

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Shipping might be cheaper per console but tax works as a percentage. Unless you know someone going overseas?

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, dont know anyone unfortunately :(

K - Royal Mail charge 4 quid "admin fees" PER ITEM for import tax. It's a fuxing rip off and just jacks up the cost no end.

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

if you can get them to ship by EMS SpeedPost, always get airsoft stuff from hong kong sent by that as you never seem to get taxed like you do if yo usend through UPS or DHL :D

Tags: