1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dual 23/24" monitor advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dullonien, 15 Sep 2010.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

After many years of struggling along with two low quality TN 19" widesreen Acer monitors, I'm after a majour upgrade. I love the dual monitor setup I have at the moment, so that's the route I'll be going again.

So what I'm after is two 23" or 24" widescreen monitors with a preferable 1920x1200 resolution. I know many manufacturers have switched to the 1920x1080 resolution, but this will create a very wide but short workspace in dual monitor configuration. However I won't discount this resolution altogether. Colour reproduction needs to be good, but nothing exceptional. My budget is £500-600.

Just a quick bit about my usages. I spend alot of time in AutoCAD and 3ds Max where colour doesn't matter, but I also produce final presentation sheets in Photoshop and this is where I need something better than what I have now. I by no means need professional quality accuracy, buta monitors where colours stay reletively uniform across the screen from decent viewing angles (although I'll always be sitting in front of them, and I'm not bothered about people looking over my shoulder). As long as the final printed picture is close to that pictured on the monitor (discounting printer accuracy) I'll be happy. At the moment, the colours vary hugely depending on which of the two screens it's displayed on, that's simply not good enough.

I've been looking around for a while now, but just wanted to check that I haven't overlooked anything.

Here are the options so far:

Viewsonic VP2365wb. Cheap IPS panel, but 1920x1080 res.

Dell G2410H Bigger 24" screen, but TN based and again 1920x1080.

Dell U2311H Little to choose between this and the cheaper Viewsonic.

NEC MultiSync EA231WMi Another 23" 1920x1080 IPS monitor.

NEC MultiSync EA241WM-BK Preferred 24" and 1920x1200 resolution. PVA panel, so good colour. A little expensive, but could be worth it for the extra height.

HP ZR24W At £80 over my budget (for two), this is a little expensive, although it probably has the best specs. 1920x1200 IPS panel is probably the best fit for my needs.

So what are peoples views, should I spend the extra money for the likes of the NEC EA241WM or HP ZR24W, or just save some money on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. Anone had any experience using the newer 16:9 standard in dual monitor configuration?

I'm sure some will wonder why I don't just get one larger (26/27") monitor instead of two, but I don't think I could go back to a single monitor, even one so large.

Thanks for looking.

Edit@ just wanted to add that my personal ideal would by a 23" IPS monitor with 1920x1200 res. However I simply haven't seen any. Not keen the 16:9 aspect ratio, but haven't really tried on to find out. I just feel that I'll end up with a more elongated workign space in AutoCAD and 3ds Max. The ability to rotate the screen could come in useful for Word etc.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2010
  2. Gener8

Gener8 nab

3. dullonien

Thanks for the input Gener8. The main problem I have with monitors such as that Samsung are their lack of adjustable stands and vesa mount. I'm happy enough to buy a monitor with no adjustment on the stand if I could use something like this instead, which uses standard vesa mounts.

Sinse gaming is quite low down on my uses (occasionally play some tf2 etc.) things like refresh rates don't bother me. I'll probably go for one of the IPS/PVA based monitors instead of an LED backlit TN panel.

4. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Well, I'm still very happy with my ZR24w.
    Going on your comments, I'm not sure whether you needed a monitor with high gamut or not, but worth noting that this monitor is just standard in that respect.
    However, the colours do stay consistent across the screen.
    Also, I'd definitely recommend 16:10 over 16:9. Not a fan of my 16:9 monitor at work and I miss the extra height I have at home.

5. dullonien

To be honest PhoenixTank I'm also not sure if I need extended gamut, but I highly doubt it. I think I'll feel the same about a 16:9 monitor, especially when two are put side by side, as it'll just highlight the lack of hight even further.

So far I'm leaning towards one of the last two I posted. Wheather the HP is worth the premium over the NEC I'm not sure. TFT Central has a review of the HP, and it comes out quite well, although the black depth and contrast ratio is a little lacking. In this price bracket it seems to come out tops though. Unfortunately I can't find any in depth reviews of the NEC, so that might lean me towards the HP.

6. dullonien

Thanks for all the help guys. I decided to go for the HP monitors, and I'm extremely happy with them. Here's a pic of my new setup, awesome to use, just so much space! I also bought the AllCam dual monitor stand I linked to earlier in the thread, which frees up so much desk space. Solid piece of kit at a great price.

[​IMG]

7. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Looks like a pretty sweet setup - glad you're happy with them!