1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual BLORBS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrABC, 23 Mar 2002.

1. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

Before I re-formatted my PC I found a site which did a nice mod about putting 2x Blorbs on a graphics card. Now I cant find it so I thought I might post here to know if anyone here has seen it. Dunno if you can post URLs but y'know, A pm would do ;)
    Maybe putting 2 blorbs is extreme - but i have to do it. Or at least, make sure that putting metal on the back of the board is um...a good idea. Thermal compound is out of the picture =] Bad experiences with that arctic silver compound...

2. RTT

RTT #parp

if one blorb was on the GPU, where was the other? on the back of the GPU on the other side of the board?

I havent seen it myself, but links are allowed - i'd like to see this mod

Welcome to the forums my friend :cool:

3. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Would just like to point out that the BLORB is one of the worst heatsinks on the market, and there are far better options for graphics card cooling. For example, for about £1 more than the blorb (and less than the crystal orb or orange orb), you can have one of these beasties:

http://www.geocities.com/isibson/gfxs1.jpg

No, I don't have a fan on it, and yes, I do overclock it...lots. This allows me to run my GF3 Ti200 core at 235MHz (from 175 stock). 1U heatsinks are the way to go here. Oh, and I don't loose the PCI slot as happens with the Blorb

Last edited: 23 Mar 2002
  4. RTT

RTT #parp

image link b0rked Isaac :)

i cant help but agree though ;) 1Us r00l!

5. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

well this guy did this mod where he put one blorb on the chipset face and another one behind it at the back of the card. It looked well meaty :cool: WELLLL, to make blorbs better just sand the bottom of it =] y'know that the blorbs aarent exactly flat at the bottom...
    Where'd u get them heatsinks isaac? I feel I MUST add a fan onto them :eyebrow:

6. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

7. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

It's the Akasa Icicle 311 from OCS.

Fan? It comes with one, but runs cooler without, due to the cleaner airflow from the 80mm blowhole blowing onto it. The extra fan on the card just fights with the airflow from the blowhole. So, I left it off to save noise, power, PCI slot, etc

8. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

ah....u got a blowhole =] My case is always open so it would help if it had a fan. Dont suppose with the fan it takes up a PCI slot?

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Yes, with the fan you loose the PCI slot, but that happens with blorb anyway, and this will massively outperform the blorb.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes it does.... I went from blorb to 1U, and there is a big difference....

Problem now is.... Ive lost the blowholes on the side of my case, so it no longer overclocks as much.... blorb my GF3 went to 231 Core, with 2 80mm blow holes over the I/O cards... 1U, 235 Core without blowholes! with blowholes... it maxed out at 242 Core... there was a significant gain on 3D Mark scores... something near 500 points on installing this baby! :D

now without the blowholes... I have to put up with 7222 as my top score... not too bad from an original GF3 and my CPU @ 1.57Ghz... still running PC133 ram

11. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

hehe NICE - Im not really ashamed of my PC specs =] well...P2 450, 16mb GF2-mx and 320mb PC133 RAM. I got the GF2 overclocked to 180/200 with blorb and my 2 80mm fans (with no case). My 3d mark used to be about 2600, now its quite low...:sigh: