1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Boot XP and Windows 10 Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Peter187, 18 May 2018.

1. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Hi Everyone

I've recently built up and old PC out of spare parts and decided to dual boot it with XP 64bit and Windows 10. XP 64 runs like a charm with no issues but Windows 10 keeps freezing up and i cannot figure out why. I've partitioned the WD Green 120GB SSD so the operating systems boot of the one drive. I've stress tested the CPU while in XP and it runs fine and checked the memory, run 3dmark06/05 no problems. W10 will freeze after about 5 minutes even just idling away.

I found a few posts online but nothing helped, if anyone has any suggestions i be happy to try it out.

PC Build:
    Intel Q9550 2.83GHz
    ROG Striker II Formula mobo
    Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066
    EVGA GTX580SC
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Toughpower 650w PSU
    WD Green 120 SSD
    WD Black 1TB

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Lack of memory and also likely due to no support for such old hardware. Windows 7 is probably the last reliable OS for that platform.

3. Peter187

I think the memory is fine it only requires 2GB for x64 and W10 can run on a low spec machine in which would be older than these specs. definitely software related.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Drivers.

It's [almost] always drivers.

wolf5ster likes this.
  5. Peter187

Problem Solved, Corsair memory faulty...... changed to some OCZ I had laying around and all stable now

Last edited: 21 May 2018
  6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'd just like to point out, you are asking for serious trouble in using XP on any machine these days.

They stopped patching it long ago and all the secrets in there have been unearthed and hacked to pieces.

Once someone compromises your XP machine, even if you keep the data you care about only in the Windows 10 partitions, they can still get to it since it's all the same file system.

I wouldn't.

7. Peter187

Thanks for the tip, Its running x64 Windows which is server 2003 based and it still seems to get updates from Microsoft. Not that i surf the net on XP its just for some old games so I'll just disable the LAN connection in Device Manager in XP should be fine.

8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

That remains a must if you're running XP on anything.

iirc any version of XP or server 2003 no longer has support, x64 XP support ended well before x86 and server 2003 lost support nearly 3 years ago when Win10 hit RTM, so the only safe way of using any of those systems is to disconnect them permanently from the internet.

I'm doing the same on my old rig with a Q9650. No cable connection and the wifi card is disabled when I run Win XP.