1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual core and people

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N/A, 27 Dec 2005.

1. Valo

Valo Minimodder

jeez... im not that retarded :grr:

just been trying to point out that it has lower clocks than fx57 which is to me a bit of dissapointment...

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Bigz i love you! that cod2 multi-core patch is awesome :D
    it runs much smoother than it did before
    dod:s hdr is screwed anymore either, using catalyst 5.13

3. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

well i just bought an x24400 amd oced it to 4800 speeds. compared to my 754 3700 it positively kicks ass. last night while playing bf 2 i noticed my hard drived stauttering away like mad, i tabbed out to windows (took all of 3 seconds for my desktop to become responsive) to find that the computer was doing a virus scan. not once when i was ingame did i notice any slowdown whereas with my 3700 if i was playing bf and then the nav went off doing its thing my game would have stuttered like mad.

also the 3700 would take 120 mins to encode a full dvd, the new x2 does it in just under an hour.

am i rich? no i saved all year for my upgrade and as far as i am concerned it was money well spent.

A64 4400@2.4ghz
    msi kt8neo diamond
    x1800xt
    4x 512 corsair gaming ram cas 2
    2x seagate 120gb drives in raid (storage)
    1x WD raptor 36gb (for windows)
    dvdrw

blah blah blah.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Right then... I'm sitting tight... not taking a loss twice in one year.

As for Optys Mr Tad... No, I never did consider the US as a source, cos even if you can find one that ships, you then have the import duty and tax issue.

Isn't the 180 at around $700 tho?

Jan 10th has me curious now tho.... Hmmm....

:worried:

Will the FX60 be 939 tho? I thought it was going to be a new socket with DDR2? If it's 939 I'm definitely having some of that!!!

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

the FX60 is 939, afaik the FX65 will be the socket switch

as for a 180, its still cheaper than an FX57, and if you have an address in the states to send it to and then get someone to forward it over here, you can miss out the import duty ;)

6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

AMD's internal memos are suggesting FX-60 and FX-61; perhaps they plan on a 3.0 GHz dual core FX-64?

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

"gift" :thumb:

I'm still hoping quad-core becomes affordable soon. The only option right now is a pair of 265 opties, which coupled with the rest of the system weighs in around $3000. I think I'll just wait for quad-core-on-one-chip.

I hate bigz for knowing things. Stupid, evil subtle hints. Doing that's just mean. "Anything I've ever reviewed is up for grabs, you just need to find my house" mean.

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

What is there thats special about what he knows? Everyone who does their research knows that AMD's next core is the FX-60, which will be a 2x2.6 GHz core available for both socket 939 and AM2-except, I imagine it will be called the FX-61 because of the enhanced memory bandwidth enabled by the AM2 chipsets; its not a widely known fact that the new hypertransport standard that theyre going to have on AM2 already exists on Venice; since the first spin of it in fact.

9. Firehed

I meant, presumably, a price drop on the 10th. I knew about the FX60 as well, in fact I think it was in bit news a while back. Which I read compulsively.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

heh, I'm merely giving him some buying advice - I know he'll be disappointed if he plumps down however much X2 4800+ is only to find there's something faster available a little over a week later. :)

11. Pookeyhead

and oh how I need it!! I'm the most impulsive IT buyer I know... I need to put the brakes on, and see what is what in a couple of weeks. I for one appreciate Tim's subtle and timely hints, or I may well haev been upgrading three time in one year!!

12. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Isn't the first quad-core Optie scheduled for Q1 on 65nm? Or has it been pushed back?

13. Pookeyhead

Talking of Optys... the 185.. isn;t that slated for M2 (or whatever it's called these days)?

14. Firehed

Meh, but you still know stuff that I don't. Which isn't fair.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with FEAR and dual-core? It wasn't patched as far as I can tell and it doesn't seem to be threaded as-is, but I know you mentioned it.

15. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

AFAIK the physics processing is done on the second core.

16. Firehed

Odd, I think the last time I checked, it was still not going over 50% usage.

And what was that about the hotfix thing? Is that how to get source games to run right?

17. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I have the MS hotfix, AMD X2 driver and the ForceWare 81.95s (with driver multithreading disabled) and DoD:S still crashes unless I set the affinity :blah:

Edit: The 81.98s are out, but no fix is listed in the release notes for any driver revision...

Yeah, it's for M2 I should think. Unsure of the current HT link's bandwidth, but I doubt 939 offers enough :lol:

Last edited: 31 Dec 2005
  18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i have the ms hotfix, standard ms driver and catalyst 5.13 and dod:s works great
    however i've never had crashing issues :)

19. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The HT link on 939, since Venice, has been exactly the same as the one in AM2; the only thing stopping everyone from having it is the chipset. As things stand, its running in a sort of "back compatability" mode. Its not a well known fact :)

20. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Interesting - so they can, if necessary, just complete the new memory controller section and port the core almost directly to AM2? Quite clever.