1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dual display calibration/help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 3lusive, 6 May 2011.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok my second monitor arrived today (so I now have 2x BenQ 2420HD's) and I have hooked it to my pc through VGA with the other one being DVI.

I use the integrated Intel 3000 graphics (lol) which supports dual displays and I have got them both to work but I have a few issues still.

One thing i have noticed is that the second monitor which is connected via VGA is not as sharp/vibrant as the other one even when I have calibrated them using the Intel graphics and media control panel (which actually works pretty well). Both monitors have the exact same colour/contrast/brightness settings etc, but the DVI one looks better.

I assume the difference, then, is to do with the fact the VGA carries an analog signal as opposed to the digital one with the DVI, so I tried to hook up the second monitor with HDMI (instead of VGA), but the Intel display panel spazzes out, flickers and then BSOD's when I have them connected with DVI + HDMI if you are following me.

My computer has 1x HDMI, DVI and VGA ports, so I assume it is possible to connect them via DVI + HDMI instead of DVI + VGA. It is no major issue as it is very usable of course in the current setup, but I would like it resolved in the long run. Because i have never had dual monitor setup before, Im not absolutely sure if the fact one uses DVI and the other VGA would make a difference (even if it is small it is still noticable on the desktop). Any thoughts?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

the HDMI and DVI will be the same connection and the VGA is the 2nd.

Therefore its impossible to run 2 monitors from 1 connection.

They do it to save money but provide more connection possibilities still. Check your manual i bet it says HDMI + DVI do not function together.

Unfortunately theres nothing you can do other than try another VGA cable but it will probly look the same.

Best bet is to grab a dedicated GPU (only a cheap one) with Dual DVI output

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Right thanks for confirming that :). I did notice in device manager it said (Digital) and (Analog) next to each display when I connect them with DVI + VGA, so it did cross my mind that I would be trying to connect them both through (Digital) if I used DVI + HDMI and if that would cause problems.

Ok so now it seems like I want a cheap gfx card that has dual dvi support, will work on a 430W psu, and will be as stable as the Intel graphics drivers have been for me. I dont game on the pc hence why I didnt buy a dedicated gpu when I upgraded to a sandybridge system, but the integrated gfx have been great for general day-day use.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Intel GPU's don't assure color accuracy. They are bare bone graphic solutions for businesses.
    HDMI also doesn't assure color accuracy as it's design for TV.

Only DVI and Display Port assure that every pixel are are color perfect (with an Nvidia or AMD (and Matrox) graphic card), assuming of course your monitor have a full color processor. If it's a TN panel, you mostly don't have one.

LCD is a digital screen, while VGA is analogue. The image is screwed because:
    > the GPU converts the signal from digital to analogue
    > Your monitor then takes VGA, and converts it back (cheaply, to reduce monitor cost), to digital
    > VGA grabs interferences in the wire.

5. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yea that would explain the difference in quality then. Any ideas for gfx cards?