1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Dual-drive external USB storage for £20 - really?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Mar 2010.

1. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

I don't see why people are complaining about USB bandwidth, I've got a cheapo HDD dock with a USB connection and I get 33.3MB/s from it, bearing in mind the drive in it normally goes at 60-80MB/s that's really not bad. As I use it over the network the bottleneck is usually in the network or sometimes it's some flash based device that I'm copying to.

2. johnny_wallace_uk

johnny_wallace_uk What's a Dremel?

I've just bought and setup the Big / JBOD version of this enclosure (the RAID 0/1 this article talks about is on another version of the enclosure) for use with 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 EcoGreen drives.

In my case while it works fine in JBOD mode making both 2TB drives independently accessible, it does not appear to work as intended in Big mode.

In Big mode all Windows shows in Disk Management is a single disk of only 1678.03 GB in size, not the 3726 GB I was expecting. The 1678.03 GB is a very strange figure as it is less than the size of a single disk in JBOD mode (1863.02 GB). This happens whether the disk is set as an MBR disk in Windows XP or a GPT/GUID disk in WIndows 7. Same thing happens in Windows 7 if it's set as an MBR disk too.

Maybe it just doesn't like my 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3EG disks in Big mode, so for me it's JBOD mode only - at least it saves on a power socket and a USB port compared to having two enclosures.

Tags: Add Tags