Networks dual nics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by corvette, 25 Feb 2002.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

okay i have a cable modem 1mb hahaha i only paid for the 512k connection ne way ive heard of all this dual nics 1 for cable and 1 for networking ( the cable modem also uses usb i dont wanna use it though ) ok so what do i need to do this oki use a realtek 8139 d for cable modem so what do i put in for the network can i use the same card or do i hafta use a diff card to stop conflicts

also i have a slight ics proplem every time i enable it and install it on the other computers the net does not work at all not for the main rig secong or last absloutly no connection can sum 1 help with this plz

2. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

It *shouldn't* matter what nic, but i would use another make to be safe. 3com should definately work, alll tho any cheapo might as well. Small quiery - why not use usb? Seems it would be kinda easier:confused:

Charlie

3. Ranger Loki

Ranger Loki What's a Dremel?

using the same type is generally better, you shouldn't have to reload the driver dis cuase the drivers are already in the system and it just has to change some settings to use those same drivers for a different PCI slot... easier...

However there is no problem using 2 different NIC's, if you Overclock 3Com is usually the best.

On all my managed Networks I TRY to use the same NIC, it would be great to go through all my computers and replace them all with teh same type, ugh, ohh well.

4. corvette

thanx guys so as both of u have said use both the same nics would be ok so i will do that also to answer ur q i cant use usb coz i have a printer and a digi cam in them and i only have to ports

5. DarkOne

DarkOne What's a Dremel?

It dosent matter what nic's you have installed. I have a realtek for the cable modem and a generic card for my network, and have no conflicts, You should not have any problems.

Just remember to access the net from the pc with only one nic you need to tell the pc to obtain an IP addy automatically.

Hope this helps

Chris

6. corvette

the only pc that will have two nics will be the main rig wich has the cable net but when i do install ics i get not internet activity

all the other pcs have 1 nic in em 10/100/1000 3coms and the main rig has a 10/100/100 intel card and a 10/100 for cable which is realtek

and no conflicts with the 2 cards just cant get ics working the main rig is win2k 2nd me 3rd 9ee 4th 98se

7. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Sorry if it sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but it is essential that you install them one at a time!!!!!

The errors are cataclismic when you don't...

8. corvette

yeah i already had the intel card in the rig but i got cable the otherday and the tech disabled my network so i was wondering if it could be done which i have done it but i still cant get ics working the connection just dies does nuttin

so can ne 1 helpme with ics

Tags: