1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Dual radiators?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz, 29 Nov 2002.

1. l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz

l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz What's a Dremel?

Anyone using 2 heatercores in their loop? Any suggestions?

Should I line up the rads one after the other before returning to pump??... (CPU->GPU->rad 1->rad 2->pump)

Or should it go CPU->rad 1->GPU->rad 2->pump?

[​IMG]
    bought for $6
    measurements=9x6x2" (5/8" in/out)

[​IMG]
    bought for $10
    measurements=8x7.25x2" (3/4" in 5/8" out)

The 2nd (copper) feels maybe 1.5 times heavier than the first one. I'll be using fittings to convert the rads in/outs to 1/2" to match my system. The reason I have 2 is because I bid on about 5 heatercores on eBay not expecting to win any of them.. I lost 3 but won these 2 and would like to put both of them to use. My pump's rated at 450GPH, should this be ok for CPU, GPU, and 2 rads? I may mount one rad internally if space allows or both externally sitting next to a window to draw cool air.

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

If your using 2 rads then parallel is the most efficient setup. But for the sake of keeping it simple, why not just use one? Should be enough cooling for most setups..

3. l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz

A shame to have an extra one laying around.. :sigh:

By parallel, do you mean splitting the flow so the output of my GPU goes to both rads? I really don't know how the flow will evenly split since 1/2" tubing will be used throughout the loop which is pretty big, hence I wanted to run in series. I've been pretty much convinced by other members on the forum that splitting is a bad idea unless you use a reducer which I'd rather not do.

Will I lose too much pressure having 2 rads in series? Will the extra rad be inefficient?

4. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

i believe he means two serparate coolant loops, one for cpu, one for GFX/NB...

5. l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz

Hmm.. I was thinking about that.. then I'd need another pump but it wouldn't have to be as strong..

How about CPU, GPU on 1 loop and NB, HDD on 2nd loop? Is HDD watercooling even worth it or more of a novelty?

6. dreamie

dreamie What's a Dremel?

perhaps u can merge these 2 loops @ pump inlet point and splt @ pump outlet pt.

for example, ur blocks r all 1/2", merge those 2 loops into a 3/4" (default inlet size for EHEIMs) and at the outlet pt, split them into 2 1/2" again. this will save u 1 pump. :)

Code:
    CPU  >                                              > RAD > CPU (loop)
                  >                                >
                        >>>PUMP>>>
                  >                                >
    VPU  >                                              > RAD > VPU (loop)

Cheers! :)

7. l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz

I'm trying to avoid splitting the pump output. BTW, I am not using an Eheim pump. I'll be using an extra submersible pump (CA-800) I had laying around for an aquarium setup. Output is 1/2" so I'll try to keep it that way. Pump also has a power head but can be closed to prevent it from forming bubbles.

Theoretically, if I did split the output of my pump and it's rated @ 450GPH, each half assuming pressure would be equal should pump 225GPH. How would I guarantee equal pressure to both loops if I did have 2 loops off 1 pump? I really do not trust using splitters so maybe I'll buy a weaker/cheaper pump for cooling non essential things like the NB and HDDs.

Is watercooling a HDD really worth it? I have 2 5400RPM drives and do not believe it's necessary... although if I upgrade to 7200RPM, I feel it's a bit more beneficial.

Still, is my original idea to have 2 rads on 1 loop a bad idea? Would I just be wasting tubing and pressure?

8. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Personnally, I think either one of those heater cores on its own would be more than sufficient.

What I would be more worried about, other than flow rates and splitters, is the fact that one of the heater cores is copper, and the other is raw untreated aluminium.

Granted, additives will slow down the effects of galvanic corrosion, but the large surface areas of the two heater cores would speed up the process. Now think how narrow the channels are in those cores. It would not take long for corrosion residues to block the channels, or worse, corrode through the metal, causing a leak.

If you want my 2p, use just the copper one, and save the aluminium one for a lightweight portable watercooled LAN system, using all Al components.

8-ball

9. l33t_c0mput6r_m0dz

Good advice. I was planning on using the copper one if I ending up using only 1.. the aluminum can be a backup or for another loop.

Hopefully my order from dangerden arrives in the next few days, then it's off to leak test the setup overnight and install the new cooling system..

BTW, has anyone done Linear's plasma globe mod to a custom built rez? I'm thinking of building a rez which has the globe sitting in the bottom of the coolant.. of course everything will be sealed with silicon and leak tested. If this raises the coolant temperatures, then I just may build a seperate tank for the globe. Any ideas how the "lightning" would react submerged under water? Would it still be safe to stick my finger in the water to play with the globe? I'll let you know if I die.. :worried:

/me thinks this might be an original idea, yet not so practical... :sigh:

10. Thermite

Thermite What's a Dremel?

why coudln't he do that? that seems like a good idea. its not the most efficient, but after the water gets warmer from the cpu, then the rad cools it down again for the gpu, or whatever is to come next

makes sense to me...

Tags: