1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Dual WC loop. Pros? Cons?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biff, 17 Jan 2008.

1. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I have a CM Cosmos and am starting to layout my loop. I love this case, lot's of room since I won't be using the 6 HDD cages and they will be removed. At this point I'm only going to cool the CPU and GPU (see sig.) and I'm wondering aside from the obvious price/complexity cons, are there any benefits to having individual loops? or other cons? Space isn't an issue as I'm sure I could put 4 loops in here.

BTW I have two chevette HC's or one per loop if I go dual. I use 1/2" tubing and the blocks (yet to be made:dremel:) are homemade and should be low restriction. TBH the only pro I can see going to dual loops is for cosmetics but I thought I'd ask.

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

having seperate loops for different components can result in lower temps.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

only con is cost more money and will need more space in the case.
    but like radodrill sed you will get lower temps (very good for overclocking)

4. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I'm having trouble understanding why the temps would be lower.... Sure the flow will be slightly better being a split loop since the pump is only pushing through one block and one rad instead of 2&2. Do you feel that IS the difference right there?

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

It depends on how the loop is set up; as the water absorbs heat the temperature also rises, so if the GPU block is right after the CPU, the GPU temps would be higher than if there were a radiator in between (having a rad per component is similar to having a split loop). In reality the difference is maybe 1-2C, but some hardcore people try to get the absolute lowest temps possible. I'm actually cooling everything with a single pump; order is: pump --> CPU --> SB --> NB --> BIX3 --> 8800GTX1 --> 8800GTX2 --> X-Flow BIX3 --> pump

6. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

so would a : Pump - 120mm Single Rad - CPU - Res - Pump
    and a : Pump - 120mm Single Rad - GPU - GPU - MB - Res - Pump

than sending it all through one loop with a double 120mm rad? :eyebrow:

Last edited: 17 Jan 2008
  7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Why not buy two 120 mm rads? ;)

8. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

I'm getting a Zalman GT1000 and untill i have a good look around it, space looks like it could be an issue.

9. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I fired up my CSP-MAG last night for the first time to see how it does and I wasn't too impressed with the noise. I'd still like to do some more brainstorming on it but at this point splitting the loops may seem like the best option. Assuming I'm going to not use the CSP-MAG, the DD-CPX1 is rated at 20dB and the D5 @ 35dB. The DD-CPX1 is a much weaker pump but seems just fine in small low restriction loops, plus it's half the price of the D5 so 2 for 1 and two or even three of them should be more quiet than a D5.

Still can't find much info on the DD-CPX1 or any that has one...

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

2 single 120mm rads won't be enough. Depending on the CPU, a 120mm may be OK, but a 240mm would be prudent for newer CPUs.

In reality the D5 is near silent (even at full speed on the vario model); however, if you don't have a vibration isolator (neoprene) between the base and the case, the case can amplify vibrations resulting in higher noise. I've installed several D5's and they're all quieter than the fans.

11. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

"I'm wondering aside from the obvious price/complexity cons, are there any benefits to having individual loops?"

you will see better/more stable temps for each individual component. cons are an increase in the chance of leaks, additional chance of mechanical failure, tube routing, and noise ect , ect .

lot of people run them, and run them just fine. if you are only cooling gpu and cpu i dont see a real need for two loops. a number of people run the cpu and gpus on one loop and then nb, sb, mosfets. on a second loop becasue they tend to be more flow restrictive. Or cpu, sb, nb one one loop and then two gpus on a second loop. I have also seen a system with some thing like four loops, cpu, gpu1, gpu2, and mother board. each on a different loop. ( i think its over kill but to each there own)

Go for it and try it out, just be shure to leak test for 24 hours be fore you put the system into use.

Tags: