1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Duke Nukem 3D in Hi-Res!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dwarfer, 20 Jun 2011.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

[​IMG]

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

eDuke32 and the HRP have been out for a few years, it's a cool little mod and it has come on hugely since the last time I tried it; but I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it in light of DNF lately. :)
    Personally prefer to play the game natively just for the sake of nostalgia.

Brawl, could you try to lay off the trolling in every gaming thread where someone posts an opinion that doesn't concur with your own? I used to like your contributions to the forum, but this stuff is getting old.

6. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

The HRP is fantastic, was using that last year if I remember rightly. However original Duke3D with standard textures is definatly how it's supposed to be played. I.e. RPG looked fantastic... no idea why but it kicked major ass!

Sorry I may rant, but here goes. No, the above quote is little more than trying to troll people into the DN:F argument that happened on the main thread of Joe's review (Where he has removed himself from my Christmas Card list...) again. So I took a decision to make sure the original poster was aware that he might get some grief should he continue down the avenue of "ITS BAD WAAAHHH!"

DN:F for example was exaulted by those who apprechiated DN3D for it's gritty humour and little more than a frag-fest. Every reviewer of people I know like that has given it at least 80% with the graphics being the downfall. Everyone else... who I affectionatly call "Halo-ites", will get it less because they have compared a game like DN:F with everything released since then... which while they are entitled to do so. They have missed the fundermental point of DN:F and the prequel... let alone the release times.

It had big-shoes to fill sure, but the gaming community in general is now very much in control of the linear-lovers and Halo-ites who are incapable of thinking "wonder how puzzle a can be solved by problem b" i.e. stick them on Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas and watch them melt into a puddle of goo.

Told you, a nice rant. So answer to your question, "No, I won't stop giving people grief until they understand the fundermentals behind a game".

Yours awesomely.

Brawl. :D

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

It was a game from an era of satisfying rocket launchers. :D

I appreciate your points, and I'm not keen on the flamebait portion of the OP myself; but I just think it's better to ignore these things and focus on the actual important part of the post than to troll in response with a lolowl.
    And in fairness, I think there's more to criticise about DNF than just its shooter mechanics. DNF is being widely regarded as a failure by newcomers and die-hard fans alike, but that's a matter for another thread that's been discussed over and over already.

Plus: Fallout 3 as your example of a thinking man's shooter? Seriously? :p
    That just goes to show that what you consider the waterline of game appreciation for not being trolled isn't necessarily in-line with everyone else's.
    If I were to take your approach I'd be abusing anyone who ever dared to suggest that modern shooters come anywhere near the greatness of titles like System Shock 2 & Deus Ex regardless of genre-taste, never mind your Brown-Oblivion-with-Guns example. :p

Better to just let it lie and be civil about these things, rather than going down the "[insert meme picture and accuse poster of QQing]" route is my point - Bit-tech forums deserve better than that, especially when the crux of the OP was to link people to something they might enjoy that they may not have seen before. :)

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Gimme some time and I'll respond chap. I do enjoy a good chat! Just gotta get on with something.

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Fire me a PM, we've derailed this thread enough already. :p

11. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

that's a sweet mod. i think i'll DL it when i vacation so i can play on the puny laptop.

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

you can't polish a turd.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

BRAWL likes this.
  14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

^ Nice one. :D

15. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

you talking about DN 3d?

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Ah, thought this was about duke nukem forever with a 3d add on.