1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Duke Nukem Forever

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by blueIce, 16 Oct 2001.

1. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

when does it unlock on steam?

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^Midnight in the UK, though it'll no doubt run slightly over (they always do).

3. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Not trolling, and I sooooo want this game to rock, but the marketing campaign and brief tv advert that I've seen make me think this will be a real howler. I do hope not mind you, I have fond memories of the original shareware demo on 3.5" floppy, one of my first PC games on my then state of the art Pentium 100 (8Mb EDO RAM, Avance Logic video card, quad speed CD rom, Soundblaster 16... £1800 as I recall)

Good times!

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Da na na, na na na, na na naaaaa na na na!

Come get some!

Before I start, I've only played about two and a half hours but have beaten a few bosses.

Hmm. Well, it's okay so far but there are some bits of the game which are a throw back to the games of yesteryear - and not in a good way. Animations can be amazingly clunky and yet bring back memories of old skool gaming, so one has to wonder if this is deliberate (probably not). The weapon limit of two is just effing ridiculous though. Textures are typical low res console crap, so hopefully down the line someone will release a high texture pack. It's nice to see old enemies rendered in space year 2011 gorgeous-o-vision though.

This game is not the ray of light from heaven that I think we were all secretly hoping to be but at least it draws me in enough to keep playing. Either way, the original development team should take a long, hard look at their lives because this game barely justifies a year or two of development time, let alone fourteen.

Jaysus. fourteen years. In that time mobile phones have gone from being rare to commonplace. TVs and monitors have gone from CRT to cheap and affordable LCD/plasma technology. Processor speeds have roughly multiplied by twelve and have more than one core, not to mention improvements in architecture. My PC's RAM is twice the amount that I used to have as hard drive space. The engineering process I'm doing my PhD in has grown from a largely experimental technology into a fully fledged manufacturing method. I could go on.

Long story short: disappointing but still playable. Pick up for £10 and not a penny more: I had more fun playing Crysis 2 than this. Predicted Bit Tech score - 70%

5. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make a couple of pages ago. Totally worth £10-15 in a steam sale. But thats pushing it.

6. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Well I'm about 1.30 hours into it and I think it's frigging awesome so far. It's not the prettiest game but no one expected it to be (it's not THAT bad either, it's worthy of this gen at least for console).

It's fun, really fun. Greatly paced, pretty varied game play for an FPS shooter and funny as hell. I'll be getting right back to it when I get the chance later, and for me I can see (providing the main game goes on for at least 5 hours and the MP is reasonable) that this was really worth the 30 quid. I'm not in the slightest disappointed.

Here's praying for an editor because I'd love to mod this game and contribute to the inevitable 'Duke 2012' high res texture and model pack :)

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Apparently they are releasing a DX18 patch in 2024!

Parge likes this.
  8. logonui

logonui Minimodder

Has anyone else had any issues with the game crashing shortly after it launches? I only get 5 minutes in when the screen goes black and the only way I can do anything is power down my machine and restart it...

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Ermmm, just out of curiosity, what is it?

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I heard that's already slipped to 2027.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Some great references to other games and general popular culture so far which had me giggling.
    Its basically just more Duke 3D. Expect nothing more and you can't be disappointed. Compared to the demo I'm actually having fun with this :D

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ive never played a DN game, being about 7 when they came out.

Here goes nothing.

13. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Me too (but sadly not the 7 bit).

I may snap this up to see what all the fuss is about - but probably in a Steam sale 12 months down the line.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's Duke ****ing Nukem

The only questions that need answering are:

"Are there corny one liners?"
    "Can you blow things up with a rocket launcher when completely inappropriate?"
    "Can I use a shotgun to remove limbs?"
    "Can I abuse substances and have it encouraged?"

If you answer the firs three with "yes" and the last one with "There's an achievement for doing as such" then you're playing a current generation Duke Nukem game.

Go in expecting an FPS to rule them all and you're going to be disappointed.

Expect:

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

Along with their one liners?

You'll be happy.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  15. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I'm about 4 hours in now, and it's the most fun I've had with a game in a very long time, easy 95% for me, and absolutely everything I would want from a Duke game (and an ott FPS). Had a quick blast on the MP too which was kinda fun.

If they don't release mod tools for this it will be the most tragic thing in the world of gaming, especially as its uses Unreal ED and UScript.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring.

Can I have my £30 back please Steam.

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

A question to those with the console version:
    Is there 4 player split screen multiplayer mode? This mode is sadly very often discarded in games today, but it's so much fun. I Remember the times with my mates on the N64,.......aaa, Hotell hell... some of the best gaming moments ever along with goldeneye mp.

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

+1

19. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

Wow, I'm genuinely shocked! All the people I've read that are slating the game saying it's boring etc etc etc, when in all honesty it's NOT! It's actually pretty good and I'd also give it at least 95%. I played Duke Nukem 3D and have been waiting 12 years for this one and I'm not disappointed.

But each to their own I suppose.

Toploaded likes this.
  20. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am loving it so far! It's such an old-school shooter that doesn't try and do anything clever. I am loving the one-liners and the references to other games. It's the most fun I have had in a long time!

Toploaded likes this.
Tags: