1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duron 1800 Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hippo, 26 Feb 2004.

1. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

Well I installed my new hardware yesterday which consists of:

Asus A7N8X-X
    Duron 1800
    Twinmos 512mb Ddr400 Pc3200 Cl2.5

After a fight with Windows XP to convince it I had installed a new motherboard :D everything works ok and prime95 ran for 7 hours without fault.

Im a relative newb at overclocking but I thought I would have a tinker. So I set the AGP to 66mhz and then cranked the FSB upto 150mhz and to my surprise it booted ! Then it booted into windows ! Huzzah I thought. I then ran prime for 40mins and had no errors. Heres a little CPUZ screeny

[​IMG]

So my question is how far do you think this will go ? I know thats a bit of a open question but are there things I can do to achieve a higher clock ? I havent pushed it further yet but Im really tempted :D

Hippo

2. olv

olv he's so bright

Depending on what cooling you've got it will play a big part. I'd drop the multiplier (if you can) and then raise the fsb steadily until your system becomes unstable. then raise the voltage a bit at a time until it becomes stable, then repeat. You want to max the voltage on your RAM and try and get the timings down. I guess you might be able to run 2-3-3-6/7. 200FSB is propbably very achievable, depends what voltage you need to get there. i've taken my xp to 2.175volts on air cooling but i wouldn't recommend it lol.
    A good target (if you can change multiplier) is 10x200, 2ghz. see if you can get that stable then work from there.

You might want to try and unlock the extra L2 cache as that would give you a nice boost in performance, the new durons are simply athlonXP's with failed L2 cache so it is potentially there but might be unstable.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I reckon a good number to aim for is 2.4Ghz with 1.9v. Your ram is more than up to that, you only need 178fsb to break through 2.4Ghz. I can't remember how high your board goes with regard to vCore, but either 1.85 or 1.9v will be fine on reasonable air cooling.

Set vDIMM to 2.8v (TwinMOS default is quite high)
    Set vCore to 1.85/1.9v (dependant on how high your bios allows you to go)

increase the fsb in steps of say 5Mhz at a time, run superpi 1m after every reboot until you get to the stage where you get an error in calculation of PI, then drop back around 5-7Mhz on the front side bus and you should have a prime stable speed all being well.

4. Hippo

Thanks for the tips guys, Ive followed your advice and I've got a little further.

It seems that I have a unlocked multiplier which Im quite chuffed about lol

I have so far achieved 2220Mhz with a 12 x 185 Vcore 1.7 Vddr 2.8. 12 x 190 booted but BSOD'ed windows. I think the Max Vcore I can get is 1.75.

Ive run super pi with it at this speed with no errors, heres a 'little screeny'

[​IMG]

The only thing im a little worried about is the extra voltage Im putting through my CPU/Ram. Ive got good cooling, a TT volcano 11+ and 7 80mm case fans including the PSU. MBM/Bios is reporting atm the CPU to be 39C and the case to be 19C. Should I be worried ?

I really cant believe the overclock im getting from a £23 CPU. Once I've bedded it in for a couple of weeks I'll try turning the L2 cache back into the full 256K, then I'll have an Athlon for the same money :D

5. olv

olv he's so bright

when i was burning in my xp2400+ i ran it for 20+ hours at 100% load using prime95 and it was 56/57 degrees. did no damage what so ever. so your temp is fine for the mo. i found that my temp actually dropped after a good burn in. dunno if it was the as3 or what but i'm not complaining lol.

6. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

i used as 3 it sat at 39c was happy then a few days agao its 43c :'( anywon no why?

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

ambient temps risen?

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Have you tried unlocking the extra L2 cache to turn it into a Tbred-B?

9. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

if you mean me :) then the case temp now is 28c

10. Hippo

Not yet no, I wanted to see how well I could clock it before I tried that. I will be trying it thou at some point :D

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Congrats man! :thumb:

It's always nice to see someone getting some good results from duron's... If I wasn't messing with the top of the ORB at the moment, I'd highly consider getting a Duron just for the fun. They're great clockers, I remember my duron 800 hitting 1250Mhz :D

12. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

1.6 is at 350 fsb at 2.14, it will do 2.4 but it locks cause of my board and ram :D

and guess what- my temps never go above 35c with my tr2-m2 :D

13. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

how old is this chip? im really really eager to know the steppings of it. i have a 1600 duron with stepping MIXIB 0342 - which is a bugga because it was made within weeks of AMD locking them. Might it be you got it from a place that has some 'old' stock left with pre week 39 and thus unlocked proccies in wich case i want one :D

The good news is that as your processor is unlocked there is a good chance of the L2 mod working in wich case the superpi result should go down a couple of secs.

even tho mines multi locked it's locked at 12x which isnt so bad and like you i can take it up sky high. going up from 1600 to a shade under 2400 (or in your case a tad over 2220) shows they are great chips.

congrats :D :thumb:

14. Hippo

When i get the chip out to do the L2 Mod I'll make a note of the steepings, I didnt think to do it before :wallbash:

15. Hippo

Well it seems that 2220mhx 12 x 185 wasnt stable, prime kicked up a couple of errors after it had been running a while.

However Im now trying 2255 12.5 x 180 as this seems to initially stable, prime has been running for 30mins or so now with no errors. The reported CPU temp is now hitting 49/48 on load as ive bumped up the Vcore to 1.75. CPU-Z/Mbm reports the Vcore as being around 0.25V higher than set in the bios. I might wimp out and lower this :D

16. olv

olv he's so bright

stop messing around with pansy FSB's :lol: you should easily be able to drop the multiplier and start playing with 200+ fsb.

17. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Get a DFI board and some BH-5 and start playing with 250+ FSB :rock:

18. Hippo

It seems that if i go above a FSB of 180mhz I get errors in Prime and if I try for a 200mhz it wont post :( Maybe Ive hit the limitations of the hardware I have here.

19. TMM

TMM Modder

you'll probably find its pushing your ram at like 220+ and its not using a 1:1 clock with your FSB. lower the multi and go to 200mhzFSB, making sure your ram is at 1:1 clock with the FSB :)