1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux DVB card for MythTV

Discussion in 'Software' started by BjD, 25 Aug 2005.

1. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Im looking at buying the Hauppauge Win-TV Nova for my HTPC and use it with MythTV. I believe the newer kernels support the Connexant chipset so it hopefully work ok. This page would suggest I may have problems, has anyone tried this card with Myth or linux in general?

I see the Nebula DigiTV comes highly recommended from several places, but is it really worth paying twice the price? Are there any significant features that Im not spotting? :)

2. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I'm using an AverMedia AverTV DVB-T 771 PCI card with myth, and it really is great. If you get the latest version of Myth, it automagically picks up the channel guide data from the DVB stream!

There's still a few bugs to be ironed out, though, but on the whole it's pretty stable. As DVB quite a new thing, you should run the most recent kernel as the drivers are always changing.

There's a great wiki with lots of details on the various cards, so have a look at that. I think I paid ~£50 for my card, and have no problems with it.

3. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

DVB works pretty well under linux im using an Pinnacle Sat_CI with an LG tuner no Hardware decorder and an connexant chip. Works fine!

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

There are two versions of the nova-t and both are reported to work well with mythtv.

5. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies, I just went to place an order with eBuyer and they don't stock the NOVA-T PCI anymore :S Im now on the verge on getting a DEC-2000T, I like the ability to watch Freeview independant of the computer and it works under Linux.

6. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

7. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

Im currently using the nova-t pci under mythtv, working just fine under 0.18? (think thats the version i have). As mentioned above it pulls the tv guide over dvb as well which is rather nice.

Backend kernel drivers come as standard with 2.6 kernels you will however need to compile the frontend driver which is pretty straight forward iirc, you need to get the dvb source from the linux-tv dvb package and just compile the frontend :)

8. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Tags: