1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage DVD drive not showing in windows or bios

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by harvy, 27 Oct 2014.

1. harvy

harvy Minimodder

Good Morning all,

I purchased a Pioneer Blu-Ray burner (BDR-209DBK) in Feb this year, to use in my main machine.

The machine is a custom build using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R board.

The burner is PIONEER/BDR-209DBK

Its connected using SATA cable, and power and has been working fine, up until a few days ago. Nothing hardware wise has changed, and nothing as far as i can tell has changed software wise (ie i've not installed anything or applied any patches).

The system also has an IDE dvd burner, which is still showing and functional.

When i boot up, the system takes a while to "find" unsuccessfully the blu-ray burner in post.

When it gets to windows, i think it does the same, taking a couple of minutes to get to the logon page.

Once in windows the drive is not listed in device manager and not shown as a drive on my computer (win 7 64 bit).

If i physically unplug the drive - post is quick, and windows boots to login within a minuite or so.

To test the SATA port and cables, i plugged in a 3TB Hard disk - that was found and usable in the same speed as if the blu-ray burner is NOT installed.

I dont have another machine to try the burner in at this moment, but can anyone suggest anything i can try before i raise an RMA with SCAN?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Out of interest, does the DVD drive seem to be getting power? Does it do anything if you press the eject button?
    Otherwise you could try a USB > SATA converter, but it would have to have a separate power supply, I doubt a USB port would have enough power on it's own.
    Also, check which mode the SATA port is set to (IDE or AHCI).
    It does sound like it's dead though mate.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

When the SATA ports are set to AHCI, on some mobos, it can take a while to detect optical drives. One of my motherboards had an option to set a delay when POSTing to allow the optical drives to be detected.

There is another thing with optical drives, which can make them disappear, but I can't remember what it's called, you have to go into the registry and edit a line, I'll have a search and see if I can find it again.

*EDIT*

Found it,

Link, if you look at the "manually fix corrupted registry entries" section.