1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DVD drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CanadaPhil, 14 Nov 2008.

1. CanadaPhil

CanadaPhil What's a Dremel?

Last night my wife and I both bought our copies of the new World of Warcrack expansion, Wrath of the Lich King.

I installed the game on my laptop, HP Pavillion, without any problems. My wife's desktop on the other hand, was not nearly so easy. The DVD drive would not read the DVD. It would read other movie DVDs, but not the game DVD. Every time I inserted the disk into the drive it failed to recognize it. I tried swapping disks... no difference. I tried updating the drives... they were up to date. I tried installing in save mode.... no effect. I tried ending all processes that were not mandatory... no effect.

Anybody have an idea what could cause this problem?

Thanks for your help,
    Phil

BTW, I eventually figured out how to install the game on her computer without using her DVD drive. I set up the DVD drive on the laptop as a shared folder on our network and mapped a network drive to the DVD drive on the laptop. The install was very slow, but at least it's done. /Phil pats his own back. :D

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Sometimes they do fail. I had a DVD drive that would read Movies, but not data discs, similar to yours.

The solution was to replace the drive unfortunately, but it's not too bad, as a decent drive can be had for <£20.