1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage DVD drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amsalpedalb, 2 Jul 2012.

1. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb New Member

Hey all,

Over the weekend I built a new ITX system and couldn't get the system to boot from the disk in the dvd drive. It refused to boot from windows 7 or ubuntu disks. The BIOS recognized the drive correctly but wouldn't detect any bootable disks. Had to resort to installing from my usb optical drive instead.

Once in windows the drive was again recognized correctly but would not read any disks.

Any ideas or shall I just return it to Scan?

Oh, this is the drive:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sams...6xdvd-dl-dvdplusrw-x8-rw-x6-x5-ram-sata-black

Cheers

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If possible try it in a different computer. Also try it in a different SATA port just in case. Otherwise RMA it.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Make sure the SATA port it's connected to is set to IDE mode (NOT AHCI) in the BIOS for an optical drive.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

My optiarc drive works fine in ahci mode. Some optical drives don't though. When it comes to boot installs I only use flash drives anymore since install is so much quicker. If you have 2 seperate sata controllers might try one in ide, but if only one I wouldn't sacrifice ahci for the sake of an optical.

5. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb New Member

Ah, the AHCI thing could be it. The board has only the southbridge providing sata ports so I can't set the dvd drive to ide. I need to use AHCI because the system is using an SSD.

Guess I could try it in the other sata ports but I can't try it in another machine, none of them have the mini power connector needed.

Cheers all.

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

Well many DVD drives of mine have just stopped reading disks for no apparent reason after varying periods of time. They go into spin-lock, keep starting to spin up and then stopping every time before they spin fast enough to read.

Can't think why that happens. Sometimes after a disk has been left in they start reading eventually, like after many hours.

7. teppic

teppic New Member

That the BIOS recognises the drive successfully to me suggests that it's just a faulty drive. Have you tried a CD in the drive?