1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DVD Jonget job, moves Stateside

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Oct 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. mad4it

mad4it Know it all.

Isnt this really bad news since DVD jon wont be able to do anything nearly as bad as his Dvd crack?
    also cant they endite him for that as soon as he steps foot on US soil?

any way i think crackers/hackers should stay off US soil so they can continue their evil ways but thats just the anarchist in me talking :rock:

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Uhhh, Jon? GO HOME. Seriously. Not that I don't want you here, buddy, just...we tend to like the things you do, and you can't do them here.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Whatddya mean "can't"?

Oh, you meant "can't legally".

I wonder if this has nothing to do with cracks but more to make some sort of lobbying move to make what he's done more legal (as duping a DVD you own for legitimate backup purposes IS legal, even if someone will try and take you to court over cracking their ineffective encryption).

I can't see ANY other reason to have him come over here when the chance of getting fined/sued/other-unpleasant-court-experience'd is exponentially higher.

5. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

It takes a thief to stop a thief.

If you were trying to make a secure form of DRM, who better to hire than the best at cracking said DRM. I would like to think he wouldn't sell out but morals are morals and money is money.

6. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

It doesn't matter where he does it. The FBI (and the US goverment as a whole) is working world wide now with this kind of stuff... its kind of sickening. If the MPAA and DVD industry want to sue him, they'll do it whether hes here or there. Yes he might be subject to more harassment from these people here, but i'm sure he'll have a good lawyer that will get him through what ever ball breaking is thrown at him.

And i'm sure Obeo something totaly different anyway.

7. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Even if that's what he was here for, wait 2 weeks, and some 14 year old from some snow-ridden country up north somewhere will crack it.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

He cant do them there either thanks to the EU selling out. Nor can you live of good intentions alone.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

True, but the laws in the US are a lot stricter aren't they, so he'll be worse off in the US than in the EU?

10. HilRam

HilRam What's a Dremel?

Not anymore, I'm afraid.
    However, Norway is not a member of the EU, and has a more liberal copyright law than the EU. Actually, Norway's decision not to adopt the EU law has caused quite a controversy.

In terms of being liberal, the law states that you may convert your content from one media/digital form to another, for your own personal use. So I can by a CD and convert it to ACC for use on my iPod, for example. I can also convert my DVD to DIVX, and watch it on my computer. It is, however, totaly forbidden to distribute any digital replica or derviation of the original product.

As I understand the new EU law, you can not attempt breaking any copyprotection without also breaking the law. Even if you just try to extract some songs from your copyprotected CD in order to use them on your own MP3-player. :grr:

11. Sathy

Sathy What's a Dremel?

I wonder why nobody else noticed or mentioned the spelling mistakes, what's up with that? there are like tons of mistakes in the text!

Tags: Add Tags