1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple DVD-region unlocking?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoahFuLing, 9 Jun 2008.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Hey, so WWDC is tomorrow (today now, I guess)! I wonder what Steve will announce...:naughty:

So is there a solution for the new MacBook Pros to unlock their DVD drives to be region-unlocked? I know that Apple and Matshita (Matsushita) are a bunch of Matsush*t-heads for not allowing the new Intel Macs to be like their PC brethren, IE, not unlockable. As far as I know, all of the old firmware hackers are out of business. I was wondering if there was a solution that I missed?

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

VLC will play anything irregardless no?

3. NoahFuLing

Nope. Sucks, really. I can't get it to work.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not a whole lot of options if you can't get VLC working unfortunately. There's no OS X equivalent of AnyDVD as far as I'm aware.

5. NoahFuLing

It's not that VLC doesn't work on my computer - it just works exactly like Apple DVD Player, in that it uses up one of the 5 hardware region changes. Someone used to write new firmware for the Matshita drives, but I was hoping there was a software solution...

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I am also curious about this.

I have read that if you get an external DVD drive, you can set that to a different region then the internal one. A poor work around at best, but can anyone confirm this?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yup, that'd work. Crude though.

Surely someone out there has written a custom firmware without region encoding?

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You can use MacTheRipper to first rip, then play. I don't know of a firmware hack.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

might not work on leopard (i'm on tiger) but if you play a dvd thru vlc, it'll ask for a region change. don't choose one. you should still be able to watch the video. when you've finished, don't make any changes on the region settings (ie. click cancel) and you'll be back where you started

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ever since the start of the PPC G5 era, unlocking your SuperDrives has become basically impossible. I unlocked a Pioneer 106D in my revision A G5, but my revision B model came with the 109D, which never got hacked. Needless to say, the Optiarc drives in the current Mac Pro are just as stuck. As for the laptops, same deal.

As suggested, external drives on different region codes. In my Mac Pro my top drive is Region 2, and the bottom is Region 1.

11. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

i hate region locking but its something we need to put up with i geuss.

yeah as said above if you can't get VLC to play it then the other option is to use the very crude method of an external dvd with the region changed on it... other than that i think you're stuck!

Tags: