1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other DVD Writer Drive misbehaving - help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by greypilgers, 1 Feb 2012.

1. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Good evening everyone!

I have a Samsung SuperWriteMaster that is almost 1 year old to the day. A couple of days ago it started making slightly noisier operations that it did before, and a couple of times refused to acknowledge discs inserted. It has now started to refuse to acknowledge any discs inserted, after a short period of stuttering noises. If I click on Windows Explorer, Windows seems to think the drive has a blank disc in it, but wont let me 'burn to it' as it says the disc is write protected???

VideoLAN won't access any discs, the COmmand Prompt doesnt even recognise the drive letter anymore, Microsofts own 'Troubleshooter' tool can't resolve it, and a DVD drive program 'Opti-Drive' refuses to carry out any tests on the drive either.

Does anyone else have any ideas or is this a dead drive?

Thanks very much for your help.

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

See if it appears in device manager. If it does, check its properties - might shed some light on it.
    If it doesn't, dead or dying seems likely.

3. bsp

bsp Minimodder

I know it sounds silly - but make sure power and data cables are plugged in properly. I had a few problems on mine due to a loose connector.

4. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Strangely enogh, it appears in device manger fine, with no issues reported. WIll check the cables again but i havent much hope...

5. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

My only other suggestion is uninstalling it from task manager, then rebooting. Then see what happens.
    On the plus side, there hasn't been an abrupt dvdrw shortage sending the prices sky high ;)