1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DVDs to get chips that 'prevent' copying

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 18 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So they're going to sell millions of chips so that they know which one a copy came from, but what good does that do when pirates release a disk that some guys mums friend who lives in nevada bought and leant to them? This sounds like it might slow down piracy a little, but then, I even doubt that since a good, individual release group is considerably better at the entire piracy thing then all the anti-piracy groups are put together

3. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Why bother what a wast of money. Instead of lowering the cost of DVD's to encourage more people to buy them they are wasting more money on RnD on a pathetic anti piracy technology that is going to reliy on all the manufactures that make DVD players adopting.

They tryed encrypting DVD's it didnt work why bother with this so late in the life of DVD's

4. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Not a solution to Prevent or even slow down Video pirating of older formats due to it will increase cost of the media the movie is on, older players and drive will not support the rfid chip, Changing format of the movie so only new drives will not work because People will not buy a movie if they have to buy a new dvd player or drive to play it. This may work for new HD DVD and Blu Ray but not DVD. But with all technology it will be crack one way or aonther

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Remind me how the hell this is going to do anything if a disk is just dropped into an older reader and ripped?

6. riggs

riggs ^_^

Too little too late imo.

I'm wondering who exactly is coming up with these ideas...

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Thats all well and good, but its not going to stop them plugging a good TV card into a DVD player.

8. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

An article over on arstechnica about this is pretty detailed...and says it's even too late to implement this in HDDVD or BluRay since there are already players out. See the article here:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060917-7760.html

I just don't get how this could possibly work unless some format was produced that required every player and every disk (blank/writable or factory produced movies) to have an RFID tag. Otherwise people could just go out and buy a player that didn't have an RFID reader...and play whatever disk they wanted.

Further...if I have a blank disk (with or without an RFID tag), couldn't I just copy a movie to it and it'll look like a "home movies" disk I made? Even if there was something embedded in the disk data saying to look for an RFID tag, it seems like a decent copying program would know how to remove or alter that to say "home movies" instead of "Super great Sony Movie Studios Movie, requires RFID tag!!!!!"

Even big piracy outfits (the type producing thousands of copies of each pirated movie) would likely be able to produce/re-encode their own RFID tags to say whatever they wanted to say. Or just not copy the RFID data on the original disk that would make things tracable (or copy it perfectly if that was somehow necessary). Isn't the big thing about RFID tags that they're cheap to produce and work with?

And what on earth could this possibly do about the "cam" editions of movies -- burned disks that are just recordings from hidden camcorders in the theater??? Isn't that supposed to account for like 30% of piracy or something? There is no way for a player to distinguish such a disk from a home movie...it'll be a burned disk, and it'll be filmed by a hand-held camcorder.

Can anybody explain further how this RFID tag is supposed to stop anything?

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Completly useless, if they want to stop piracy, do something that will actually be half difficult for crackers and any person with half a technical mind. All that will happen here is the average consumer who knows nothing about electronics, will buy a DVD and it wont work in his player, all his other DVDs work but the new ones dont.
    Most of these "anti-piracy" things don't work, either they make it harder for the general public, or makes people turn to piracy as it doesn't have the annoying anti-piracy stuff on it (who wants their DVD collection trackable).

^or something along those lines anyway^

10. Strages

Strages What's a Dremel?

My 2 cents? It's a publicity stunt. It's not meant to actually stop anything, it's meant to give the illusion of security. What most people "in the know" don't realize is that the people "in the know" is such a smal percentage of the total amount of people that the MPAA doesn't really care. They want the average joe's to think that this is super-secure and that they're not going to be able to pirate movies or whatever. Not that I agree with this - I think it's stupid on every possible level - but that's not the point. It looks like a great idea if you have no idea what "RFID" means or how the technology actually works. It certainly a better solution than DRM to the average consumer/stockholder/investor/idiot.

11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

well if they can track my DVD's anywhere I go (if i had a DVD player in the car) then there is an even bigger reason to get a copied product than before.
    I mayaswell try to nick a bunch of money from a bank because having an RF tag on my feet for a few months is pritty much the exact same thing.

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I think "Strages" nailed it (post #10). but what a pointless exercise implementing this would really be - I suspect it will never happen.

Actually I think the industry is hoping to move to a model where you just rent the content.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

The problem with Starges point is that most of the people getting decent copies of dvds (i.e. not cam recordings) are the ones "in the know". And "the know" is anybody who has used any kind of P2P program.

14. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

...first they convince you to "rent" an "e-DVD" (or other form of electronic movie) everytime you want to watch it...then they'll get rid of ownership altogether and start nickel-and-diming you for everything...

on that note:

Bit-Tech Article "In the Not So Distant Future"

15. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

how the hec is this going to work.

How do the dvd players work out a rip'ed copy from a home made movie? as a home made dvd & rip'ed dvd wont have this tag or will it... :eyebrow:

16. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

how is this going to work without your DVD player being hooked up to the net? I mean it's all fine having a serial number attached to the media, but how is your player supposed to recognise the difference between a DVD with a serial number flagged as pirated and a normal one...

and if the system is hooked up the the internet then surely it's aimed at PC's only as your not gonna be able to convince average joe that he now needs to plug his dvd player into the phone line to be able to watch films. So if it is aimed solely at PC's then all you have to do is unplug the net so it can't connect to their massive marketing i mean anti-copyright enfringement database.

17. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

So they know what i purchased.....where from...what I watch... and when i watch it. I am pretty sure that violates some laws. I mean hell they might as well cook some popcorn and come watch it with me. It is just a half assed idea that will cost more money, raise prices of dvds so that we rip even more of them.

18. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Another thing i just thought of.. won't putting an rfid chip in there cause the dvd to lose it balance on the spindle inside the player?

I remember when they couldn't get cd's to spin faster than 52x with a label on them because they vibrated too much.*

*Could be bull****, read it in PC Format.

19. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

This is just another reason for me to download a film instead of buying it.

If I buy a DVD and they make it so I can't simply rip it to my PC (which I am in my legal rights to go) so I can watch my whole movie collection on any PC across my network, I am better of downloading a copy.

20. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Legally, you should do both.

Tags: Add Tags