1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI-out card to old VGA monitor... confused!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rich Hall, 18 Apr 2006.

1. Rich Hall

Rich Hall What's a Dremel?

Hey, uhm... Just a little context here, I used to know (or thought I knew) practically everything there was about computers - buying, building, fixing etc. - only I havent bought a computer in around 4 years... until now.

And what a humbling experience that was! :| I had to brush up on basically every aspect of hardware and general computer information, left behind by the march of technology as I have been.

Basically, my 'spangly' new system has a 7900GT with dual DVI-outs, but I havent bought a new monitor, not willing to upgrade my trusty 21" CRT to some 19" TFT. And I'm confused. I'm aware that you can buy DVI to VGA adapters, but I'm not sure which configuration I need (DVI male to VGA female, or DVI female to DVI male), or even if such an endeavour would work at all!

Cripes.

Anybody want to take pity on a poor out of date idiot and throw me a lifeline? Which configuration, and if possible any suggestions as to which brand/model I should get?

Thanks in advice guys! :|

Edit: I ordered the pc from mesh (I know, I know... but I needed the warranty due to my habit of having stuff fry on me), so I have no idea if they'll provide me with any of the stuff that would come in the cards's retail package (such as a DVI-VGA adapter).

Last edited: 18 Apr 2006
  2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I would be highly surprised if they didnt. However, the adapters are always Male/Female, male into the graphics card, and female at the other end - just like a plane jane VGA output. As such, even if they dont :)eyebrow: ), any DVI adapter will do - seeing as there arent many out there of the other variety :p

If your monitor has a VGA in, you can use a typical VGA cable on the DVI adapter. If its the variety that does both, your monitor has to have a VGA input to work. I'm sorry, I'm not doing a very good job explaining this :sigh:

3. Rich Hall

Okay, so if the worst case scenario of them not including an adapter... It's a DVI Male to VGA female adapter I need?

Cheers btw:)

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Yeah, more than likely. NP :)

5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I should think they would supply the DVI - VGA adapter at least - if not everything esle... coz they shouldn't assume the customer will have either a TFT, or the necessary adapter :nono:

But I'd suggest asking Mesh themselves if they're supplying a DVI - VGA adapter... and the sooner the better, if your system is on its way :idea:

6. customh

customh conflagration.

You shouldn't have any issues as any right-minded pc manufacturer should include these. If they don't i would be wary of buying from them because anyone that doesn't cater to all users needs...well i just tend to shy away from them. Otherwise I'm sure if they don't include one if you talk to them they will cater to your needs.

7. Rich Hall

Update:

Ordered an adapter off amazon just in case.
    Adapter never turned up.
    Emailed mesh sales to query whether they'd include adapter in box.
    Reply was that all the cards they sold had at least on VGA port.

PC turns up.
    No VGA ports. No Adapters.

PC sitting on the floor with nothing to do till the adapter I bought on ebay arrives.

God damn it IS pretty though!

I occasionally turn the power on so I can see the blue shiny lights...

8. Blackfish23

Blackfish23 Minimodder

Have you still not got an adapter?

I've got about 4 or so lying around if you want one?