1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DX10 Shaders in CoH

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gambler, 22 Jul 2007.

1. Gambler

Gambler What's a Dremel?

Hey all!

I just downloaded the 1.7 patch for my old copy of Company of Heroes and was excited to finally get to take advantage of DX10.

However: I have all of the settings at High (nothing ultra) or On, including shaders set to high also. When I do a performance test I get about 60fps average. When I turn shaders to Direct3D 10, I get about 10 fps average and see no muzzle flashes or lights.

I really want to see what the difference is going to be in the quality, but so far I am disappointed.

Athlon X2 5200+
    2GB Ballistix RAM
    XFX 8600 GTS (running nForce 158.24 drivers)

Thanks!

2. HenvY

HenvY Yeah, what IS a dremel?

Are you sure the 8600gts can handle CoH in DX10? I was under the impression it was useless as a gaming card and more suitable for HD encoding...haven't kept up well with the hardware for a while though.

3. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

The 8600GTS is fine for gaming, the CoH patch for DX10 is where you are seeing the problem. It has been stressed that this patch is in no way a reflection of actual DX10 performance and a poor implementation of trying to cram DX10 features into a game that was written for DX9.

4. Gambler

Gambler What's a Dremel?

Makes since I guess. And yes, the 8600GTS is a great gaming card. It is easily overclocked, and paired with an additional 256mb of dedicated graphics RAM, is simply a $400 cheaper version of the stock 8800 cards.

Oh well...game still looks beautiful without the last touch.

5. csplayer089

csplayer089 What's a Dremel?

lol, i have to ask. are you running windows vista

6. Gambler

Gambler What's a Dremel?

Yes and no...

I have a dual boot, ubuntu and vista.

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

im running an 8800gts and i can see quite a large difference with DX10, most noticeably with flames and explosions...

get that crocodile built and check it out!

+ you need the betas to get the full advantage out of coh atm. Im pretty sure on the coh mp welcome page it says use 158.45 or above
    Check guru3d out for the latest betas