1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dyack: "Cloud gaming is a win for everyone"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, the computer age has grown old enough to start repeating itself.

we've had "cloud" computing before.
    We've hat "thin client" network computing before.

Remember terminals? Thats what were talking about. A (set of) servers and output to terminals.
    Terminals were replaced by PC's...not by mistake either.

2. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

monitor out put? can some one tell me what will be the data rate if game is processed by a server and input signal and output will be sent via internet?????????????

3. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

"Cloud Computing" The new name for "Mainframes"

So we'll all have dumb terminal's to work on. I thought technology was about advancing? Why are we going backwards?

4. Wag

Wag What's a Dremel?

To be fair, it's not exactly the same thing, but I agree that the similarities are quite striking. Terminals will need to be powerful to operate advanced menus and access programs for various "clouds" instead of a single dumb terminal that is directly connected to a single mainframe.

Either way, cloud computing has a place in the future, but I wouldn't predict the end of PC's for a long, long time. Locally stored and loaded content will always be faster, safer, and more secure than anything accessed via cloud. The only real drawback is price and size and both of those issues should sort themselves out over the course of time.

Tags: Add Tags