1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If anything I'd say in the current climate they probably draw more attention to it by mentioning, or linking it to brexit, is it known if it was McVitie's who said it was because of that or was it someone making a spurious link.

A quick Google seems to suggest Nick Bunker, managing director for pladis UK & Ireland said...
    So while he doesn't blame brexit he does say it's because of the change in the exchange rate.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2018
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm no economist or accountant, I'm just a nerd who likes numbers :grin: :thumb:.

Hmm... The data is freely available, this wouldn't be a big task... ;)

But it's a job for tomorrow :grin:

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's hard to tell intentional from incompetence when the end result and preceding actions are basically the same.

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

1. The UK hasn't left yet.
    You know, that part of the country most dependent on EU exports.

2, And of course the UK could have grown even more inside the EU, and cleared its post 2008 deficit (finally).

[​IMG]

But the case for Brexit now appears to be:

[​IMG]

Well done.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2018
  6. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I really do think some remainers are hoping that their predictions of a total Brexit catastrophe come to fruition, just to prove them right and the uneducated masses (the 52%) wrong.

Nexxo, point 1 that you raised. We haven't left yet, the same could be said of the forecasts and predictions you use to base your own assumptions. We will NOT know how bad it will be until we have left. We can guess, estimate, calculate but we are ALL piddling in the wind until such time.

7. Nexxo

We know that it is not going to be better than being in he EU. We know that all the systemic problems in the UK that people voted Leave over are not going to change, since they had nothing to do with EU membership.

We know that there is no post-Brexit economic vision or strategy (even UKIP hasn't got one, and it pursued Brexit for 20 years so should have had some time to think about it --instead it is disintegrating as you read this), and that the current government is twisting itself into knots trying to fulfil the public mandate without losing the economic benefits of EU membership. We know that while the tabloids are foaming over the EU and Remainers and the government's poor handling of the negotiations, they are very much not discussing Britain's future. Nobody is going there.

Remainers are fearful of a Brexit catastrophe, not hoping for it. Leavers could respond to that with reassurance rather than accusation. But where is the constructive, positive vision of the Leavers? How are Remainers supposed to unite and get behind the country if even Leavers can't unite and agree amongst themselves what kind of Brexit they want?

All that should tell you something.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Brexit won't be the end of the world, I mean if you cut off your nose to spite your face you still have a face...

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

That article makes no sense "UK growth upgrade could 'dwarf' Brexit" then he goes on to say we will probably only be about -3% worse off.

To make a sweeping generalisation its ironic that the positive brexit effects will probably be good for remainers and bad for leavers making lots of assumptions of course.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is that a BBC article, if my google-fu's not let me down i think what he's basically saying is because the world is starting to rebound from the 08 recession the recession we brought upon ourselves isn't going to be as bad as many had predicted.

Although as we've not left yet that self imposed recession is only being measured against the fall in the value of sterling, we don't know yet how much of an impact actually leaving is going to have and we probably won't find out for a few years until after having left.

It's certainly not going to be good, it will just be less bad than it would've been if the global economy hadn't started to rebound, you can't cut off funding to the most deprived parts of a country, impose tariffs, tear up human rights protections, and restrict the supply of resources without it having a negative effect, unfortunately, as Nexxo points out, those who will feel that negative effect the most will likely be the same communities who society has been disregarding for years.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just take offence at being called an accountant....

EDIT - This is the article

Byron C likes this.
  12. Nexxo

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The second Farage went, they were always doomed. He was a one man Party, people we're just voting for him, not the useless sweaty creature standing on a podium in their constituency.

14. Valo

Valo Minimodder

This article basically says 'Brexit won't hurt us as much as it should, because we're all recovering from the credit crunch'.

It gives no positive outlook on the consequences of brexit, it just says the negatives will be mitigated. Brexit remains a cluster****

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry. :oops:

I was trying to guess what your and ByronC's professions were, i didn't guess very well by the sounds of it. :)

Guest-23315 likes this.
  16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Was it something to do with him dumping his allegedly racist girlfriend, only in UKIP can that been seen as a bad thing for your leader to do. ;)

17. Nexxo

Apparently it's about him not really dumping her. A bit like the UK wants to leave the EU but keep all the benefits.

I guess UKIP is not quite ready to come out of the racist closet yet...

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As much as I'm not a lover of UKIP i have to admit the media or whoever are going a bit to far when they chastise someone for the company they keep, i mean fair enough having a girlfriend that espouses those sorts of views doesn't look good but what company someone chooses to keep shouldn't be dictated by others IMO.

It just doesn't sit well with me that we're condemning people based on who they associate with.

19. Nexxo

When you are a political leader, your personal life will always be under scrutiny because you're expected to live by the values that you advocate politically. If your half-your-age-model-girlfriend turns out to be a flaming racist (also made a joke about raping babies, apparently), people might think you share the same values and hold you to account.

But more likely, he was urged to dump her because a girlfriend like that is just a political liability waiting to happen, and any sensible politician with ambition would have cut her loose.

C'est la guerre...

EDIT: at 7.00pm Nigel Farage will interview Henry Bolton on his radio show. I think we've hit peak political freakshow.

20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It astounds me UKIP and their various leaders have so much coverage considering how few votes they get.

They talk as though people who voted for Brexit voted for them and that they have 17 million members. T'is not the case.