1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'No deal is better than a bad deal...'

...If that was the case why the mad rush to ensure none of the options are referred to 'no deal', and are instead 'it's a deal, honest'.

2. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Every deal that has been proposed is a bad deal and no deal is a deal, one could think those politicians where forced at gunpoint to read the Windows 10 Eula five times in a row before opening their mouth.

3. RedFlames

Unless ofc they mean 'No deal is better than a bad deal' in the sense of None of the deals will be better than the 'bad' deal they come away with. Basically that 'a bad deal' is the best of the options.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

After the UK government loudly threatening that it is prepared for a no-deal, the new UK "charm offensive" apparently consists of calling the EU irresponsible for mentioning preparations for a no-deal, and saying that the UK public will blame the EU for an "accidental" no-deal (translation: the UK's failures are, as always, the EU's fault).

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well it's the British way when going abroad.

If you're not understood first time round just keep raising your voice and repeat yiurself.

100% guaranteed not to work.

6. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

I thought it signalled a key moment in this whole affair - we've gone from Teresa May banging on about how we're going to push forward with Brexit, and secure the best possible deal to "we're all going to hell in a hand cart, but it's the EU's fault".

Brace yourself for a hate the EU campaign, to make us feel slightly less upset about the huge **** sandwich we're all going to be chewing on for the next 30 years.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

It is also an interesting change from "The EU needs us more than we need them"...

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I find it incredible that polling still shows a fairly even split between leave and remain, you'd think the almighty mess that politicians are making, the weekly resignations, the dirty Russian money, the breaking of laws, and that not a single thing promised before the referendum is going to come to pass would have convinced more people what folly this endeavour is.

Yet no, it seems we're still happy to go along with it all like some sort of religious cult preparing for the day of reckoning on March 29th 2019.

EDIT: It seems Corbyn is going to make a speech extolling the virtues of leaving the EU.

The only problem with his line that a fall in the pound will boost manufacturing is that it's wrong, is he really that stupid that he can't look back to when the last fall in the pound happened, it doesn't help manufacturing because we import most of the things that go into manufacturing something, that's what happens when you manufacture complex things.

I guess it's true what they say about going so far right or left that eventually you meet in the middle. :mad:

Last edited: 24 Jul 2018
  9. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Psychological reactance. The vote to Leave was an emotional one to begin with, and people have simply switched off from it all --it is too complex, too scary to look at the details. The politicians promised cake, they voted yes to cake, now it is up to the politicians to give them their cake. And the more you tell people they can't have their cake, the more they want it.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The summer recess is always a good time to bury bad news and with Brexit just around the corner MPs have attempted some serious burying.

They've gone back on their promise to end EU jurisdiction on Brexit day by introducing legislation to extend it to cover the transition, and they've demoted the department for exiting the EU, the negotiations are now going to be handled by downing street and cabinet office (poor Mr Raab).

11. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Last edited: 27 Jul 2018
  12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So with the government taking steps to stockpile food, medicine, and other vital supplies is anyone here going to do the same?

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Kind of want to see how fast Leavers u-turn on their campaign if there's no deal and the UK just sort of.. Grinds to a halt.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't think they'll ever do a u-turn, they're already blaming our lousy politicians and the intransigent EU.

Although why they find that in the least bit surprising is beyond me, it's not like our politicians haven't always been lousy or that they weren't told politicians were to incompetent to carry something like this off, and if they'd been paying any attention to what they were voting on then they already knew that the EU is a rules based system and won't break or change the rules for the benefit of a single country, especially one that's leaving.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Not much point --there's a limit to how much I can stuff under the stairs. However we are pretty good at cooking and baking from scratch and growing our own vegetables; I know where to forage in the many abandoned Victorian orchards spread around the city, I have my own honey supply. We lead a pretty frugal and economic lifestyle so we'll cope.

If things really go Mad Max, I'll whip out my Dutch passport and return home with my wife in tow. I'm eligible for retirement from the NHS in three years anyway.

I think that the UK always thought that rules are kind of arbitrary: in British law everything is permitted unless there is a rule against it, hence there are huge areas of human affairs that are unregulated. There isn't even a written constitution. In European law nothing is permitted unless there is a rule for it, so there have to be a huge number of rules covering all human affairs. This means that nothing is ambiguous and unregulated. There are pros and cons to both approaches, but you certainly couldn't get the **** fest that flowed from the EU Referendum.

So the UK thought that EU rules are kind of political levers, fundamentally arbitrary political game rules that can be renegotiated and changed at will. The EU regards them as apolitical legal frameworks and structures absolutely necessary to a smooth and orderly functioning of the EU. The UK thinks it is negotiating new rules for a new relationship; the EU thinks it is settling a divorce according to the existing rules.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2018
  16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I guess you don't depend on any medication then, Mrs May is screwed if things go pete tong, although downing street is probably stockpiling insulin as we speak, can't have the PM collapsing from hypoglycemia.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I rely on a monthly medical supply from my pharmacist. I'll have to ask them to find out from the middle man how they expect Brexit will affect the supply. Knowing my luck and the way businesses usually operate, my supply probably flows through a depot in the UK.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Most of the donor bone marrow for our leukaemia patients comes from Germany. That stuff doesn't last long in transit. It's gonna be tricky.

19. RedFlames

Isn't it the same for radiopharma?

As for any smart alec who says 'oh why would it get held up?'... Really? You really think Customs are just going to wave radioactive **** through unchecked? It's a minor miracle they let that some of that stuff cross borders as it is.

...also where do they intend to store all this stuff?

20. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member