1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I sprayed tea all over my monitor reading that...

"An EU spokesperson told us, “Sigh…

“This again? Really? Look, it’s very simple. There are only so many ways to explain it. The integrity of the single market is paramount to us and the remaining EU members. You can’t have anything – literally nothing – that threatens that. So why keep asking for it?

“Honestly, it’s like repeatedly telling a toddler it can’t have ice-cream for breakfast, except the UK hasn’t **** itself in protest.

“Yet.”

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

To be fair, I want/wanted to remain and the idea of all this just to throw away our right to vote doesn't jingle my jangles.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

On top of that there is also the semi connected issue regarding Gibraltar, i.e. if there was any preliminary agreement that actually manages to avoid a hard border between NI / ROI you can then count the seconds until the question of how does it impact the Gibraltar / Spain border on one hand.
    Not even to mention that Ireland and Spain may influence each others stance through the EU.
    And further on top of that there is also yet another issue... if May was to throw the DUP under the bus and gives NI special status she will immediately have Scotland and Wales breathing down her neck regarding devolution etc.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, the EU will block anything that results in a hard border. The UK is free to put forward alternative workable solutions.

Basically, Brexit is impossible. The UK government has got itself in a twist trying to deliver the promised unicorns that people voted for. Because that, apparently, is democracy.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

EEA: no borders (avoiding the NI issue), maintains the close relationship with the EU business wants while leaving the EU like the referendum result demands.
    (that or the Switzerland option, which is just a bunch of individual agreements that amount to the same thing).

Of course it would also be worse than just calling the whole thing off since it would still mean following EU rules but giving up the seat at the table.

(any other option than EEA / EEA in drag) requires that May can make and have the UK government survive the hard choice of who to throw under the bus)

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-45745696

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Brexit they want is impossible.
    The Brexit that is possible is basically pointless.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I notice a lot of people saying 'call it off', but at this late stage, can it even be called off without massive penalties and problems that make it nigh on impossible?

9. Nexxo

Lord Kerr (who wrote Article 50) seems to suggest it can; it is a leaving protocol, not a being booted out protocol. However I cannot imagine the EU would want the UK back now. There will be a significant proportion of the electorate who still want to leave, and politicians who will continue agitating for doing so. The UK will continue to be a pain in the ass. It also has already demonstrated that it will welch on an agreement and does not believe in the European project and at some point in the future it may want to leave again. So I don't think the EU would feel thrilled about the idea.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There's three basic choices, one is pointless (aka:BINO), one is unacceptable (puts a border in the Irish sea), and the other is a potential disaster (aka:No Deal).

As Nexxo said they probably wouldn't want it cancelled without some form of contrition, basically the damage has already been done and Mrs May is just trying to minimise further damage while holding her party together and keeping them in power.

11. Risky

Risky Modder

Contrition is hardly a viable option. What UK PM is going to stand up and say sorry and offer to pay for their troubles?

To be honest the EU needs to move on and work out how on earth the Euro is supposed to work without massive internal transfers.

12. Nexxo

Most of the EU doesn't want the UK back, so this is not a problem.

The EU moved on in October 2016; when it said that, respecting May's red lines, the UK could have a Canada-style deal. Since then it has been trying to just achieve an orderly separation.

It is the UK that refused to accept the reality of its Brexit decision and has been arguing with itself and the EU ever since.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Oh for sure, no PM would voluntarily say sorry and offer to pay for their troubles however it may come to a point where there's no other choice, IIRC politicians have talked about how utterly powerless they felt when we crashed out of the ERM, that despite all the powers of government they couldn't stop the run on the pound in the face of market pressures.

If, and I'm not saying it will defiantly happen, but if come 9am on Monday the 1st of April 2019 when the markets open the pound starts an unstoppable fall at what point would the government announce the opening of negotiations to re-join or cancel Brexit, would it be parity with the dollar, 75p to the $, 50p, or would they just ride it out and see how low it goes.

If the BoE raises interest rates to 10%, 15, or even 30% would the government try to reverse Brexit, if inflation was running at 20% or higher would they?

What I'm trying to say is whoever the PM and government is at the time they may have little control over events, the only option open to them maybe an attempt to call off Brexit.

They moved on ages ago, they've got far bigger problems than Brexit or the single currency, currently it's how to deal with terrorism, unemployment, tax fraud, and migration in that order, they even have a handy infographic showing what peoples concerns are in each nation, Brexit isn't even on the radar of most Europeans.

14. Nexxo

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Welcome* foreigners!

*your presence is not welcomed, merely tolerated.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I can't even tell if that sign is aimed at people trying to enter the UK illegally or at the vocal minority of Brits who falsely believe it is possible for immigrants to enter the UK through an airport without having their documents checked.

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It makes me doubt whether i'm legally here. I was only born here, as were my parents.

If I look far enough back i can't say all my genes originate from the one singluar inbred family that have been here since the big bang. :eek:

18. Nexxo

If you haven't got six toes on each foot and webbed fingers, your blood is probably impure.

Meanwhile: this is awkward:
    Also:
    :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: Oh, boy. The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2018
  19. Risky

Risky Modder

What I was saying there is that Brexit is becoming a handy distraction from facing up to the contradictions in "the project".

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I feel like people who think it's easy to fly into England unchecked have never been out of the country.

My surname and year of birth appears twelve times on the list of people border control want to speak to - I can't use the automated system because I forever get flagged to go see a human.

It's not that easy to get into the UK as a citizen :/