1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't that what the majority of people want though? I'm always hearing that we want controlled immigration, that we want to bring it down to the tens of thousands, that immigrants have to prove they're going to earn over X amount and not be a burden on the state.

Personally I'd choose option two and build more houses, hospitals, schools, and all the rest while employing or training more doctors, nurses, teachers and other jobs that come with increased economic activity but then I'm not running the country so what i want doesn't matter.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I refer you back to Corky42's post:
    I'm not sure how I can be any clearer: nobody in the EU gives a damn about Brexit anymore. They have their own problems to solve.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2018
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think the EU will be rightly more concerned with rhetoric from other EU countries than Brexit.

Czech and the 'rat poison is not enough for this vermim' political propaganda re Romany gypsies. I saw an interview with an old Czech lady who remembered the last time she saw something like that...
    Latvia just voting a pro-Russia party with the highest vote.
    Poland and Hungary are a constant headache to the EU. How far towards Dictatorships they can go, after getting massive funding from the EU, before they have ro be kicked out I don't know.

And the list goes on.

I've always known there are plenty of big problems with and in the EU, I would prefer to stay and help, but i'm under no illusion that in leaving Brexit would suddenly trump all those issues.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm going to take a guess and say there's a difference in how we're defining what the EU is, i suspect you and I consider the EU to be the people, nations, parliament, and council. But i suspect Risky considers the EU includes the commission (Junker and Barnier).

The commission is to the EU as the civil service is to our government, our government makes decisions and issues instructions to the civil service and they enact what they've been told to do, sometimes they report back to the government if they need further instructions, the commission is exactly the same, the EU spent a few weeks/months deciding what instructions to give the commission and then moved onto the next problem.

If the EU's civil service thinks they need further instructions or there's been a significant development they'll raise it with the decision makers, until they do Brexit is largely ignored as it's a problem that's already been dealt with.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

*cough*Orban*cough*

6. RedFlames

So... how's kissing Trump's arse working out for HMG?

...about as well as to be expected:

U.S. Weighs Blocking U.K. From Global Procurement Pact --Bloomberg

Of course they do...

7. Nexxo

That has been the UK's position throughout: that it is "special". To the extent that before the EU Referendum, only 22% of Leave voters believed the E.U. would not allow them to remain in the single market after Brexit.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

9. RedFlames

Hardly surprising given multiple polls of brexiters cite executing Brexit as more important than keeping the GFA or the union intact and that they're willing to sacrifice one or both of those as long as Brexit happens.

10. Nexxo

Corky42 likes this.
  11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So it looks like the investigation into three of the leave supporting campaigns hasn't even started yet despite being handed information from the electoral commission five months ago, apparently the Met said they've not started an investigation yet because of political sensitivities.

It's pretty staggering that we're willing to brush potential criminality under the carpet for the sake of not upsetting some politicians, i wonder what leave voters would be saying if they had lost and found out overspending by remain campaigns wasn't being investigated.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

13. Nexxo

Well, you didn't actually think that "take back control" referred to the democratic process, did you?

Speaking of which... I can haz soft Brexit, pleaz?

[​IMG]

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's alright then as i suspect an EEA type thing was the idea all along, lets face it a so called no deal was not really a possibility as if it the EU/UK couldn't agree on how the withdrawal was going to happen they probably would've signed off on what had already been agreed and fudged the rest in the hours, days, and weeks following, that's not to say everything would be rosy but it gets around the rather awkward situation the government got itself in when it was forced to admit that parliament was sovereign.

It's worth keeping in mind that the threat of a so called no deal is not really being used against the EU as their bright enough to know that if it came down to it something would be cobbled together, just look at how Greece turned out, the no deal stick is being used to threaten dissenting voices on both side, politicians in the EU and UK...It's being used to say if you don't signup to X look what may await you.

15. Nexxo

It certainly would suggest that as far as the electorate are concerned, Theresa May could get away with a soft Brexit. But the ERG and DUP won't countenance an EEA arrangement, and they are crazy enough not to care about how much public support they have; they finally got what they wanted, and they want to drive it through no matter what.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My point is they won't have a choice, like i said the so called no deal scenario is probably being used to threaten them more than the EU, it will come down to a last minute thing where Mrs May/the government will present her deal (probably an EEA type of thing) and frame it in such a way that dares the headbangers to vote it down or face a no deal.

It will boil down to be accept this or on your heads be it.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2018
  17. Risky

Risky Modder

The problem is that staying in the customs union without membership offers pretty much no benefits at all over just staying in. And all this fuss is for a single market for good only when services are a much more important part of the economy.

The hard border issue is daft. We have different VAT and duty rates at the moment and we don't need border ports to enforce that. The ones that want lorries inspected at the border are the EU to ensure goods meet their own standards. There is no need for passport control as there hasn't been between the UK and Eire for nearly a century.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I get the feeling it won't be pitched as staying in the customs union, at least not forever, it will be pitched as a two year thing, while we sort things out, that takes us up to the next GE when it will be someone else's problem (AKA: a fudge to keep the DUP and brexteers onside).

The different VAT and duty rates is a logical fallacy as the reason that works is because the two different regulatory jurisdictions use different currencies, put simply you can't pay VAT and/or duty rates in another country with your countries money.

If anything the DUP and governments insistence that there can be no border down the Irish sea is the daft issue as there's already a border down the Irish sea, the common travel area (CTA) allows any UK citizen to move freely between England, Wales, Scotland, and Norther Ireland but if an illegal migrant enters the Republic of Ireland there's nothing stopping them traveling to NI, there's no border checks, and then onto the rest of the UK so the legality of people traveling from NI to the mainland is checked while on the ferry/plane.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Try telling that to the average Daily Mail reader / Ukip voter who voted leave to stop the evil brown people coming to the UK from the EU:grin:

20. Nexxo

Too late. I'm already here. :worried: :p