1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Saw this on OCUKs brexit thread, thought it was a good video.

Corky42 likes this.
  2. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

Isn't Carl Benjamin a racist alt-right conspiracy nut-job? Do you think he was aware of how uninformed he is, I'm not sure he even understood the answers people gave to his typical leaver sound bites, when he said the biggest challenges facing the world is political correctness and Islam i literally face palmed.

It's worth watching though as he doesn't say much and most of the people do a great job of describing why some of the rhetoric surrounding Brexit is nothing more than lies.

3. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Not really sure tbh, I know I've heard him mentioned when seeing discussions about anti-islam etc. The reason for linking the video was the responses he got. Probably not the 'trouble' he was after at the start of the video.

4. Corky42

Yea, sorry if what i said implied it's not worth watching, that wasn't the intention as i think it's one of the few videos that, in Mr Cumberbatch's words, is not a pro-remain “stitch-up”, that it's not too one-sided.

That the people he interviewed explained very succinctly why the rhetoric he's picked up about trade and sovereignty are false, and that we can only tackle the threats facing humanity on a global scale.

In other news i wonder how the new years honors combined with all the preparation for a no deal scenario in recent weeks will effect how MPs vote on May's deal, i wouldn't be surprised if she manages to squeak it over the line.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

It depends on how many MPs believe that there would be chaos if they voted it down, combined with how many would be happy to be responsible for --or deal with-- that chaos. Labour hopes that such chaos would be their opportunity for a GE and leadership (they're wrong); hard-core Brexiteer MPs hope such chaos will be an opportunity to drive through their deregulated free market ideology: good ol' shock doctrine. Jeremy Hunt certainly thinks that is likely to happen.

Then there is the Pro-Remain MPs; some hope chaos may lead to a second referendum; some Pro-Brexit MPs fear the same. However just like they voted through ratification of the EU Referendum result despite heavy misgivings, most MPs may vote the deal through because the alternative of chaos is just too scary to contemplate. Most MPs are creatures of comfort; they will take the easiest political path.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Fixed.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

8. wolfticket

Seaborne Freight's new flagship:

Media_image library.jpg

Nexxo likes this.
  9. adidan

adidan End of season avatar. 50% reduction.

10. Corky42

It's pretty much a £14m tax payer subsidised payout to a mate, or a mate of a mate, or...

EDIT: This made me smile, it's got Lego unicorns and everything. ;)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
    adidan likes this.
  11. wolfticket

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

14. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy...

One day the politicians are screaming: "Apocalypse hack that will end the human species" (because a bunch of politicians where among the victims of this particular hack)
    And then on the next day those same politicians demand that the government get unrestricted access without a warrant or even probable cause to more of our data.

15. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Getting knighted didn't give John Redwood a brain...

We know that based on what? The absolute shambles the luddites in Westminster have produced so far?

dire predictions by remain supporters? Like the prediction by 17th century thingamajig JRM that it would take 50 years to see any benefit?

Does he have any idea just how little 39 billion is? That won't even cover the cost of half a year of pensions.

Yeah, get rid of all those pesky import tariffs and watch it boost domestic production...
    Except of course without those import tariffs stuff produced abroad would be even more competitive and domestic production would rely on taxpayer funded subsidies even more.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/05/john-redwood-uk-brexit-benefits-ken-clarke

16. Corky42

I was going to post a long rebuttal of all the things Mr Redwood claimed, like how Brexit has already cost us 10x more than the £39bn, how just wishing the uncomfortable feeling caused by your cognitive dissonance away doesn't work, etc, etc.

But then i deleted it all as i realised it's like trying to explain to a person who believes in supernatural beings why they're not real, if that's your thing then good for you, however when you force your faith on people who don't believe in it the same way as you it's not.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H. L. Mencken

“Seems to me, the only sensible thing is for people to know that if they kill a whale, they’ve got a dead whale.” -- Adam, in Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

Seems to me people will just have to learn that when they vote for Brexit, they get Brexit, good and hard.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Only if I get to have an air horn to fire in the face of every person who teels me they 'didn't vote for this,' once excrement has been bouncing off the rotational ventilation device for a month or two.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Seems fair.

But make sure to wear a T-shirt that says: "YES, YOU TOTALLY VOTED FOR THIS".

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

But... I didn't think the leopards would eat my face when I voted for the 'Leopards eating faces party'.