1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Or by having the number of politicians that represent a country that is underrepresented increased so that they are better represented when it comes to things like votes, perhaps?

As for your art analogy, I'd probably go with pixels representing an image, the more pixels the better represented the image is, the less pixels the less well represented it is to the point it's useless. It's all well and good if the top 1/10th of the mona lisa is super hige resolution, but if the rest of it looks like someones smeared fudge cake over it the overall picture is gonna be crap.

The question that should be asked, which I'll admit i didn't read the entire article you linked, is are those countries that will be underrepresented, currently underrepresented? If they are, are they underrepresented to the same degree pre and post UK MEPs leaving? If it's the same or worse now than it will be after the UK MEPs leave, why has nothing been done up to this point?

2. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

Sensible folks might suggest that the way to re-balance for population changes is to move around the allocations within the existing total. But obviously that means some countries would have to give up some MEPs and the parliament thought that would be too horrific to suggest. Oh and can you explain why Germany didn't get any more?

There is much to admire in the EU. The European Parliament is another matter.

3. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

It's not the numbers it's the distribution.
    Because people keep moaning about the countries with the highest populations being over represented and ignoring places like Malta and Luxembourg.
    It's better than ours where the SNP got 3% of the vote and 35 MPs while the LidDems got 7.4% and 12 MPs.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2019
  4. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

France and Spain gained 5, Italy and the Netherlands gained 3. Perhaps a formula was used, but if so is it published? And shouldn't there be an automatic process without needing to add ever more MEPs?

The point is that even when the EU is losing a large net contributor, the Parliament won't give up even the most obvious cost saving.

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Yes and no:
    There is an upper limit on total MEPs and MEPs per country plus a rule that distribution should be based on population size, but there is no specific rule saying one MEP per million people or something like that.

6. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

It uses degressive proportionality, i had to look that one up. :oops:

Don't ask me how they do it though as i CBA to read the wiki entry. :)
    Administration, that i assume includes MEPs salaries, only accounts for 7.1% of total expenditure so I'm guessing reallocating 28 seats instead of just removing them accounts for a tiny percentage. That's not to say 28 fewer MEP salaries wouldn't cut expenditure but in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the ocean.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Given that EU GDP, and hence EU budget, will have grown enough by 2021 to cancel out that year's payment of the Brexit bill, I don't think that they have to pinch pennies.

8. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

It's wonderful that in the EU there is never any shortage of free money.

Perhaps that should have been the remain slogan.* Instead of, um, I can't remember what.**

*Perhaps not a problem that it can't be tranaslated into Greek

** I think they had two, iirc, the main campaign's "Vote Remain or we will have to kill your cat at the next budget!" and Corbyn's "David Cameron is awful!"

9. adidan

adidan End of season avatar. 50% reduction.

Considering the global forecast is looking bleak and the ECB has put a stop to its stimulus package (god knows why at this point in time) I don't think anybody, anywhere should feel comfortable about finances.

10. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

The parliament 2018 budget is EUR1.95bn so 7% is only EUR137m, I agree.

Now yes 7% of anything is a lot less than 93% of it, and no cutting 7% of the MEPs wouldn't save 7% of the total budget, but the point is that this seriously doesn't look like the time to be awarding your institution and bigger slice of the cake just because the size of the cake is changing.

But this isn't about brexit, really, just the way the EP behaves. Iirc the remain campaign didn't try and focus on the loss of our MEPs as a reason to stay in the EU for some reason.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Must have shaken May's magic money tree --the one she shook for the DUP. Brexit is a real responsible use of money.

The Remain slogan was "Better off in". In Greek it loosely translates to: "Just because you got to use Germany's credit card doesn't mean you can go on a spending spree".

Glass houses, dude. And I'm sure the Remain campaign at some point said something about having a voice in the EU, which logically implies having MEPs in EP. To reasonably intelligent people, that is.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Next Credit Crunch is predicted for around 2020. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

13. adidan

Just the right time to decide strength in numbers is nonsense then eh? :wallbash:

I don't know how much more exasperated I could be by this clusterfu..

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Well-Known Member

Given economists past record on predictions, that probably means 2020 will be a year of strong growth instead.

15. adidan

Oh some did forecast pre 2008, one got the title Dr Doom.

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Well-Known Member

Lots forecast a crash would happen which given our economic system isn't rocket science, its very difficult to predict the exact year.

Just by making the prediction you could change when it happens.

17. adidan

Oh true enough, but then I guess the other option is just waiting with a fan for the sh*t delivery. :)

Archtronics likes this.
  18. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Six economists predicted the 2008 crash, back in 2005, within a year's accuracy. They were completely ignored. Two of these are now saying the next is due around 2020.

The UK is going to sail right into that storm, with its economy in disarray after a disorderly Brexit, a government without a plan or a clue, a weakened currency and a ballooning debt bubble. Good times ahead.

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

It is still possible to stop Brexit from happening, remind your MP of this frequently and loudly.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

I'm a queue-jumping, citizen-of-nowhere bargaining card, I'm afraid. I have no vote.