1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Germany about 11.15%, France about 11%, the Netherlands about 10.5%, UK about 9.9%.

Keep in mind that for those other countries, that expenditure has been stable over the last decade; UK spent as little as 8.8% in 2013.

Link.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2019
  2. Risky

Risky Modder

So send more money or the U** (insert letters of whoever is still at it) shoot us? Or is the IRA meant to reorganize because the DUP lost out?

Do the population at large blame Westminster for everything or think their own politicians need to get their act together?

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Fwiw, my figures were from https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.CHEX.GD.ZS

I haven't looked in detail as yet. It may well be we need to spend more. Certainly a likely consequence of May's immigration-obsessed bad deal is that they will have to increase NHS salaries, which ups spending stats but while great for existing NHS staff, doesn't help the patients.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It's not about sending more money, it's about potential punishment for "insolence". The paramilitaries were never truly really disorganised. They're not gathered around a socioeconomic structure like, say, the actual military; They're a bunch of mates who armed themselves. Even inactive, they're still mates (with a cache of arms). The IRA could absolutely kick in to gear if they perceive an "illegitimate government" to be punishing them, bearing in mind that the legacy of the troubles has left this annexed Irish territory's economy highly dependent on the public sector. It's the highest relative percentage in the Union, so disproportionately affected by spending cuts in comparison to other regions.

And if you're wondering which "side" I'm on...I'm not.

5. Nexxo

Patients voted for it (or at least, the majority did). So this here EU immigrant NHS clinician is going to take the money and run.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Um, did you meant leave the money and go or take the money and stay as long as you want? Because I think you'll have to trawl rhe outer reaches of the internet to find anyone that has proposed deporting you and your family.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

So first the IRA was going to reform to blow up the Irish customs post that the EU requires them to erect if the UK is outside the single market and now they're going to blow up other stuff because Westminster isn't sending the extra funds that the DUP has been crowing about since the election?

And I wasn't wondering at all.

9. VipersGratitude

It's not the EURA, it's the IRA. They only see a border, cutting themselves off from their fellow countrymen at the behest of the British government. And yes, if their lives are negatively impacted in parallel to this, again, at the behest of an "illegitimate government's" internal power struggles it could very well spur them in to action as they would be paying the price. I was born and bred here. I know how these thucks think.

To put that 1bn , that May errr...may be planning to recoup once she's free of DUP dependency, in perspective - It represents just 5% of general government spending in the region.

10. Risky

Risky Modder

EURA, wtf?????

Anyway so you still think the IRA will reform to blow up the Irish border posts? Or blow up UK government stuff because the EU required Ireland to put them there?

And if there is no border in Ireland, but customs checks on crossings from Ulster to England, Scotland and Wales, then none of the other, um, "thucks" will be bothered about it?

(assumes "thucks" doesn't infer one lot as opposed to the other. I haven't googled it).

Bugger, that is a lot, cutting that would hurt.

11. Nexxo

I think that you are reading things in my post that I did not say. But if you want: take the money and stay --provided the Home Office doesn't **** things up and Windrushes me-- until this queue-jumping bargaining chip citizen of nowhere can retire and leave for good.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2019
  12. VipersGratitude

IRA not EURA, as in their goal is Irish reunification, EU priorities are secondary to that.
    If there's a border within Ireland the IRA will most certainly offence to it.
    If there's a border between NI and the rest of the Union then that will piss off the Unionists and their associated paramilitaries. They'll likely attack Ireland which will then give the IRA the excuse to retaliate against all parts of the Union, not just N. Ireland.
    The word "thucks" just amused me because immediately preceded another word beginning with "th". I really meant ****s, but that is censored anyway. I didn't think I'd have to spell it out, among other things.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The EU isn't requiring it, the UK has chosen to leave so it's the UK that's requiring it.

If your (in the general sense) partner decided to get a divorce it's not you who requires them to move out into a one bedroom flat, it's them. It's not you who put up barriers to sleeping in the same bed, it's your partner. It's not you who thinks playing hide the sausage is something you don't want to do anymore, it's your partner. :confused:

If someone leaves you you can't just carry on as if nothings happened, for one they'd think you're being really creepy and for another if everything carries on like before they've not left.

Thought experiment: If you decided to leave the room where your PC is situated has your PC put up barriers to prevent you from using it, has the room, or have you?

Last edited: 19 Jan 2019
  14. Nexxo

Classic abdication of responsibility. Just break up and when your partner points out the consequent problems like splitting the house, possessions and finances, finding a new place to live, deciding who gets the kids and the dog, and child maintenance issues you just say: "Hey, you're deciding to make this complicated"...

15. Risky

Risky Modder

You can use metaphors about divorce but but the posts are required by the EU, not by the UK. The UK has said they will not put up UK border posts this side of the border. However if you read my post a few days ago you will see that Ireland will be putting them up but doesn't want to admit it.
    https://www.independent.ie/videos/i...wing-the-microphone-is-still-on-37716984.html

Your arguments are about who to blame, sure, but the UK won't be the one with it's flag flying over a customs post.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    UK representatives can say whatever they want, to whomever they are talking to, and change his minds later on because thay have no idea on how to solve Brexit.
    Brexit means Brexit... :rollingeyes:

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Sure, the border posts are going up in Ireland and not NI. Doesn't mean it's the EUs fault, it's just setting up a border against a non customs union member. That's a consequence of leaving the EU. The UK should assume accountability for this happening, Brexit means Brexit and this is a consequence. That old cake metaphor and whatnot.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not really, they're required by both the UK and the EU.

Mrs May has said she will do nothing that threatens the integrity of the UK's internal market, or words to that effect, and without looking into the exact details IIRC that's also a requirement of being a member of the WTO, the argument about who's to blame isn't about whose flag is flying over a customs post it's about whose legally responsible.

Ask yourself who erected customs post in the past and why did they do so?

(Linky)

EDIT: Let's put all the legalities and political rhetoric aside for a moment and ask, out of the three countries and organisations involved, who would be most susceptible and want to prevent the circumvention of immigration and customs duties, aka: smuggling.

If we leave without a withdrawal agreement it would almost certainly be the UK IMO, a key part of leaving was to regain control of our borders after all, when prices of goods in the shops skyrocket due to WTO tariffs black-markets will become a thing and the UK government isn't going to like the idea of losing out on that extra revenue.

Whereas the EU and the ROI probably isn't going to care much about UK immigrants or UK goods coming across the border, at least not for a good few years as it's not like they're markets are going to be flooded with low quality widgets or booze.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2019
  19. Nexxo

Sure, it's like the divorcing partner saying: "Hey, we don't have to split the house and finances and sort out the kids. I'm easy". Except that it really does have to happen because that's the reality of divorce. Denial of reality is not exonoration of responsibility.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or since this is post financial crisis Britain we are talking about:
    "We can't stand each other any more, but we can't afford single life so we'll keep living together until the kids move out".