1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Obvs.

This delay they're talking about, isn't about another 2 weeks or something? 2 weeks of trying to get a voted down deal through and just blaming everyone else whilst May says she's listening with her fingers wedged in hear ears?

All the while trying to franctically get their homework done after realising the work to time ratio is not condusive to life.

All the while a chorus of people shout "let's just leave".... I wonder if what i'm feeling is what it feels like trying to talk someone off a ledge?

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is going to be more like months. With a lot of laws getting rushed through and blowing up in people's faces later.

It's asshole bravado, and it is in the end always self-destructive. As someone who professionally deals with people on ledges (so to speak), I find that either people want to be talked off the ledge, or they want to jump just to spite you, because they're angry with the world. Sometimes there's a bit of both going on. The best thing to do is to offer alternative choices, but make clear that the choice and its consequences are theirs.

All you can do is take care of you and yours, and let other people deal with the consequences of their choices.

4. adidan

Unfortunately that is true.

My good lady has managed to ignore it as best as possible but this week when they kept going on about registering is the first time i've seen her well up - feels like a real kick in the teeth after all these years.

My country makes me sick sometimes, absolutely no sense of honour nor loyalty.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Honestly, my concerns for my girlfriend were one of the motivating reasons for me leaving the UK.

No one should have to feel unwelcome in the UK, or at least. That's how I felt about it. The fact that barely-a-win 52% of the voters for that vote said otherwise made me lose far too much faith in the UK populace to want to stay. Not to mention the windrush situation shortly after. There's good eggs, there always are, but the concern that the overriding consensus is that foreigners should get out? No thanks. I don't feel welcome in that country anymore.

Maybe if the UK ever gets its **** together I'll change my mind, but for now. Sorry to the people who didn't want to leave and/or aren't xenophobic, but the UK has too strong a xenophobic taint to ignore now.

6. Nexxo

For me, Fox calling us "bargaining cards" and Theresa May's Lancaster House speech made it clear that we immigrants are seen as commodities, nothing more. The UK government doesn't care about us integrating into, and feeling part of British society; it wants us only for as long as we can contribute to the economy; as long as we're there to do the jobs that the Brits can't or won't do. It's just business to them.

Well, never tell a Dutchman it's just business. We are ruthless at business. We put the British Empire to shame. So now I'm treating my living here as a business proposition: I'm just here for the job and the gold-plated NHS pension (I'm still under the old 1995 scheme). I will do my job professionally and conscientiously because those are my values, and that is what I'm getting paid for. But I declined my NHS employer's offer to pay my £65,-- registration fee; I was going to pay it myself so I knew that I will not owe this country anything, ever. It's just business.

I stopped giving to charities; it is said charity begins at home, but this is not my home anymore. I stopped supporting local business; I look at the bottom line only. My game plan is to work to retirement, sell the house, and **** back off to the EU ASAP. Sorry guys, it's just business.

Leave and don't look back. It's not worth it.

liratheal likes this.
  7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I struggle with languages, but Germany feels more like home than England does right now. Although, I must admit, I've never been particularly tied to my home country so perhaps it's easier for me to walk off with middle fingers raised to the sky.

If everyone involved in the departure is onboard - My partner sure was - Then do it (somethingsomething, regret the choices you don't take, somethingsomething). Country loyalism doesn't make sense in this century. Especially not with how detached politicians are from the electorate, considering they're meant to represent our values and thoughts in the government.

8. adidan

She knows i'm more than willing, the option is always there. She loves her job though and living here.

Personally I fancy Norway, but then that's not in the EU either :/

We've lived elsewhere, her in several countries and Britain still tops them all for her. Time will tell if that will change.

9. Nexxo

Norway is EEA though, and has FoM. Nice place. Worth trying.

My British wife can't wait to leave the UK. She is a Mediterranean at heart (why she married a Dutchman and not an Italian or Spaniard I'll never know). She is driving our exit strategy even harder than I am.

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Well worth a click:

liratheal, Nexxo and adidan like this.
  11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Interesting the pound has been steadily gaining strength since Mays deal got voted down.

12. Nexxo

That's because the markets expect no-deal Brexit to be less likely (I think they're wrong about that), and to be delayed as there is no way to get the legislation through in time (that is indeed pretty likely).

I think they're expecting that a second referendum is now inevitable and Remain will win this time, or that a softer Brexit is now on the charts. I think that instead the UK will rush through the necessary Brexit legislation, which will cause all sorts of problems later, and crash out without a deal. Expect the Pound to drop to 1.08 Euros, and to hit parity by 2021.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2019
  13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Many businesses (including the one I work for) are betting on remain, or Brexit but actually nothing changed. Of course nobody will say anything for fear of being labelled project fear or anti democracy. Equally none of the major employers will cop to their plan to survive a no deal boiling down to cutting anything that's even vaguely marginal loose (or to use Ronspeak, take steps to ensure future profitability during extremely challenging market conditions). Again whilst nobody will admit to it, doing the maths for my employer around 18'000 people will have to go, it's a shame we're not allowed to draw up a list of brexiteers.

14. Nexxo

Government will rather let the country burn than admit that it ****ed up and broke democracy. What is it going to do? Say: "Sorry, we let you vote for something that we had no way of delivering"? That'll encourage voters' trust in the politicians.

Nope. Semblance of democratic rule, law and order must be maintained at all cost. Even if it messes up the economy and people's lives, because the blame for that can always be abdicated to the usual suspects.

15. adidan

Been several times, stirs my distant Nordic genes.

May be harder me trying to convince her than unicorns being shot out of the tory party's collective asses.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There's always this game on Steam, it unlocks in 10 days. :)
    More like we let you vote on something because we cared more about internal party politics than the country and you.

adidan likes this.
  17. Nexxo

Basically government is like that dog meme: "We don't know what the **** we're doing, LOL."
    [​IMG]

But at least they've decided to change their strategy:
    [​IMG]

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And at the 11th hour the leavers come up with something they call a plan...

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So in the space of two and a bit years we've gone from Brexit being the best thing to ever happen to this country and it being a vote that people desperately wanted, to the lack of food being something that will do people good and it being nothing more than Cameron's attempt at holding his party together by appeasing the eurosceptics within his own party.

I thought it would've taken longer for the sham to be exposed.
    So is it just me that's having problems reading that, it seems their entire plan involves nothing more than extending the implementation period, there's not even a mention of how to honor the GFA.

It seems we've gone from an 800 odd page WA to some scribbles on the back of a pack of woodbine.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2019
  20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

People like JRM and Baker are only the hardcore leavers who have dedicated their lives to the vision of the UK escaping the clutches of the EU, you can't realistically expect their kind to have a detailed plan. :p :p :p