1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed. From the Graun:

Meanwhile it appears China has cancelled a trade talk visit by the UK because it is miffed at the UK sending a carrier to the Pacific near the China sea. Looks like the UK is about to experience the relationship between sovereignty and agency.

But, you know, the Netherlands is taking all the UK's finance business and doing well by it. Like I said: we Dutch mean business...

Last edited: 16 Feb 2019
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I predicted China would put pressure on us after we leave, not before... but just chalk that mistake up to project fear:p

3. Nexxo

Shark bump. The Chinese are masters at that.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think you're giving them far too much credit, remember some of them were unaware of the amount of trade that comes through Dover. In all honesty they probably don't know, or don't understand, the laws that are there already.

What I find amusing is that he threatened to send an aircraft carrier, as if we have more than one. And as of 11th Jan, we only had nine F-35Bs. I'm sure the Chinese are p****** themselves (in laughter and not fear)

5. Nexxo

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The F-35 is doing a good job of self-owning tbh.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Brexiteer and Britain's richest man is ditching the UK for Monaco to save billions in tax.

Not sure I even need to comment on that, it speaks for itself.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I do find it remarkable that leave supports can still keep up the pretense that Brexit is good, i guess most people knew it was going to make us poorer so they push the sovereignty thing and taking back control, but what good is sovereignty and control if you're pi** poor.

Go and ask someone who's got no money how much control they have over their life, if they can choose what to eat or where to live, if they can choose the cloths they wear or how warm they want to be.

10. Nexxo

People don't understand "sovereignty" and "freedom". Just ask them. I had a brief discussion with someone explaining that sovereignty and freedom involve agency: not just the ability to make your own decisions, but also to enact them. What good the ability to pass a law when the US or China then threatens a trade embargo? Or the ability to demand taxes when Amazon then simply threatens to pull its business from the UK? I explained that by sharing a bit of sovereignty and "freedom" with the EU, the UK got a whole lot more agency in return. It took quite a while before the coin dropped with him; he had never really thought about what those terms mean.

11. Nexxo

Last edited: 18 Feb 2019
  12. adidan

Paywall

13. Nexxo

14. adidan

Thanks.

Hunt is just one of many Ministers who appear to be followed by a trail of ineptitude.

15. adidan

In other news I see the Spanish are being helpful by having a warship ordering ships out of British Gibraltar waters. Yeah, nah.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Speaking of food is anyone considering or has already started to stockpile food and other stuff?

Food wise things have worked out pretty well for me, i do a big shop once every 3-4 months to stock up the freezer and it just so happens that going to be next week. :)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a bit of tinned food, some freeze-dried stuff I've had for ages (great for camping, 'cos it weighs absolutely nothing), a water filter (camping again), that sort of thing. Nothing crazy, but if there are shortages it should cover 'em.

19. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I’ve been adding extra stuff like pasta and rice every week plus frozen stuff oh and the understairs cupboard is full of toilet roll.

Even if Brexit doesn’t cause issues you can bet people will panic buy and cause problems.

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

That's the thing, the result for our constituency on the referendum was leave, with a 69.6% majority.

Then in the general election in 2017, Dame Rosie Winterton (Labour) won her seat with an 8.8% increase in votes, giving a 57.9% majority win. People in our constituency aren't voting Tory. They'd rather tear off an arm than do that. My area has been a strong Labour area for as long as I've lived here. We didn't even have a UKIP candidate for our constituency. In the local elections, Labour won 78.18% of the contested seats.

So for a staunch Labour area, it begs the question of what were Labour doing exactly to try and change peoples minds about the referendum? This is the point I made earlier. The remain camp failed miserably to address issues areas like mine face, they refused to accept them for what they were, they played them down and shifted the blame on to communities like mine. It could have made a difference if they'd just listened to peoples concerns and taken them seriously enough to try and work on solutions!!

I once got told by an MP that the problems we face are of our own making, as we were not being welcoming enough, we were failing to respect other cultures and we should basically shut up. That's the level of contempt we were dealing with here. I politely told them they were talking out of their arse and they could proceed to put their head back up there before they caught a draught. Not productive but it made me feel loads better!!