1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

Calm down and think how you manage this. There's plenty of stuff in the Guardian or on the BBC that conservatives will challenge as biased or misrepresenting the facts. Will it be down to the government of the day to decide what's fit to print? Or do we have a department in charge of tell papers if their headline is fair?

A free press does mean there will be stuff that is misleading or biased at times, and other stuff that takes another line. Corbyn wrote for the Morning Star and broadcast on Press TV, neither organ would have be strangers to publishing dangerous fictions.

To be honest the degree to which the tabloids control the unwashed masses is exaggerated. They can only lead them so far, before they have to change their on line to keep selling papers. Note the Sun supported Blair in 1997, they had to change their lien to follow the readers. And those readers do have their own minds, you can form a stereotype on a red top reader, but their actual opinions when you talk to them are rather more varied and nuanced than you would assume.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

While you're not wrong, I feel like one should read things from different sources as to get a more complete picture - And only reading one shitty paper means you aren't reading enough IMO.

I don't think the EU members when article 50 was drafted got together around a table and, while killing puppies and kittens, twirling their moustaches decided that anyone trying to leave should be shot in the knees and raped by the nearest wild animal.

I think the complexities of extracting a country from such a large and complex entity such as the EU, with all the clauses to appease its vastly different members, have been poorly represented either by design in some "news" papers, and because they're too complex for short soundbites that sell papers/get viewers in others.

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Not blaming the EU, just pointing out that their are groups within the EU that see this as an opportunity to stop other countries leaving in future. Hell their line was that the deal had to be worse than membership for the leaving country, not the deal has to be the best for the citizens of the remaining 27 countries.

4. liratheal

I.. Don't recall that line.

Not being in the EU but trading heavily with the EU is defacto the worse of two options if you do, indeed, have the option to be in the EU.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

+1

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm both calm, and thinking - in fact, I think about this stuff a lot because it's literally my job: I'm a journo. We literally already have an organisation for this stuff, IPSO, which took over from the Press Complaints Commission in 2014. It's independent, a form of self-regulation, but could easily be given actual teeth by an Act of Parliament.
    Straw man. I didn't say anything about "fair," I said "absolute bollocks" (in my first post) and "errors deliberate or otherwise" (in my second). I'm not talking about spin, here, I'm talking about falsehoods - like the old one about the EU banning bendy (or straight, again I can't remember which it was) bananas. It's literally untrue, and easily proven so.

Going back to IPSO, the Daily Mail is a member and typically tops its worst-offenders list. But so long as it says "sorry" and publishes the aforementioned Page 37 8pt correction, it's all good. That's what should change.
    You're making a hefty assumption that I'm relying on stereotypes, there. Amazingly, I'm not a member of the so-called "metropolitan elite": my father, until his death when I was 13 years old, was ex-Navy who bounced through a variety of blue-collar jobs before gravitating to middle management and ending up a business studies lecturer at a technical college; my mum was primarily a stay-at-home parent, but in the years following his death has done everything from cleaning the local hospital to driving a delivery van for a car parts company. (She's now a teacher in a maximum-security women's prison, interestingly enough.)

I can't really remember what newspapers my father read - I was too busy with comics, myself - but I do know that until very recently my mother was a subscriber to the Daily Mail. I also know plenty of other people who read various tabloids - even, shudder, the Sun - and the majority are, indeed, nuanced and varied individuals.

But, again, you're going for the straw man. At no point did I say "the newspapers brainwashed all their readers into doing their shady bidding." That's not how propaganda works. All it has to do is "brainwash" enough of its readers, and the job's a good 'un - and given that you can hit any social network and see a host of leavers parroting the absolute lies that the Daily Mail and others have published in the last three years as their reasons for voting the way they did, it clearly worked. Yeah, there are plenty of people who read the Daily Mail for its... Christ, I don't know, considered opinion on underage celebrities' legs in short skirts; but there are also plenty of people who read it 'cos there's no black in the Union Jack so send the buggers back.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Well of course they didn't ban bendy bananas, but we do have a regulation saying that abnormally curved bananas must be classed differently. So they didn't ban them, but there was a story there.

Now if I was the editor I'd have published the story as "Why the **** are we paying people to regulate banana curvature when you can let grocers sell they as they come and let the customer choose to buy whatever dammed banana they want."

So we have a bit lot of tabloid hype and good piece of pointless over-regulation. I'd like to see less of both.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which would have also been wrong, though more on the 'misleading' than 'lying' front, because nothing in the EU legislation prevents grocers from selling bananas as they come and customers choosing to buy whatever bananas they want.

Here it is from the horse's mouth: you were right when you said that the legislation is about classification. There is nothing in it, not a damn thing, to stop a grocer buying Class 2 - the ones with major "defects of shape" - bananas and selling them to customers. The legislation only exists so that the grocer doesn't order what he *thinks* is Class 1 bananas with only "slight defects of shape", and pays Class 1 prices, only to have a crate of Class 2s turn up. Basically, it exists to stop people getting ripped off. That, to me, sounds like a good thing: I hate it when I'm promised X but Y turns up instead, whether it's PC monitors or bananas.

I look forward to robust defences of these stories, too. Especially the one about the benefits of blowjobs, 'cos that's hilarious.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm sure you have seen how picky people are in shops that allow you to fondle fruit and veg before purchase...
    So shops do need an easy way to avoid ordering less than perfect looking fruit and veg, which is achieved through classifying them differently.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Ooh, I've actually found a, sadly blurry, photo of my dad reading a paper - in socks and sandals, the trend-setter:

upload_2019-3-19_10-56-54.png

That looks a lot like the Daily Mail masthead t'me.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Actually it was written because the states who everyone wanted to join the EU in 2004 wanted a means to leave in case things went pear-shaped and they were supported by the UK, it was basically written to get nations who were skeptical of joining another union over the line, something Blair wanted for *reasons*.

It was basically written to appease Euroskeptics.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The EU should ban socks & sandals being worn together.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  13. liratheal

Common sense should have banned that long before anyone needs to regulate, though.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well, I mean... I find them pretty beneficial, I don't know about the rest of you.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

I still think none of this requires a single line of legislation and the average greengrocer was well capable of telling any supplier where he can stick his dodgy bananas since long before the Treaty of Rome!

16. Gareth Halfacree

And it's fine for you to think that, but I'm willing to bet if you actually spoke to anyone responsible for ordering a few tonnes of bananas they'd quickly disagree with you.

Likewise, I'm sure you don't complain about the legislation we have that means you can buy a monitor and send it back if it's not fit for purpose, right? Same thing.

17. liratheal

Except banana's don't come from the UK, so at some point in the process of getting them to the UK, one would like to know what kind of banana's one is buying. I assume. Having never bought banana's.

I'm conflicted, though. Defending the Daily Mail seems like a fools errand.

18. Risky

Risky Modder

Can be perfectly well arranged between buyers and sellers.

Does not need a single line of legislation.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Works well when you're buying one banana for your lunch; doesn't work so well when you're buying a billion bananas for the UK's lunch. How many companies do you think there are selling a billion bananas? Back in 2002, there were five companies (including one based in Ireland, that well-known tropical banana plantation country) controlling 70 percent of international trade; today, that has thankfully dropped to 44 percent - thanks, in no small part, to the EU's regulations allowing for supermarkets to purchase directly from growers or from smaller wholesalers while being guaranteed to receive bananas adhering to a mutually agreed and legally defined standard.

Let's try this another way. What do you think is more efficient: every greengrocer in Europe coming up with its own definition of good-quality and bad-quality bananas, then having the banana wholesalers (or individual growers) trying to sort out each shipment according to a million and one different definitions; or the EU coming up with a single, jointly acceptable definition? Which costs the least money? Which takes the least time? Which is the only approach that actually makes sense at scale?

Legislation. The answer's legislation.

liratheal likes this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Having lived in NZ for a couple of years, that doesn't have regulations like the EU's, you miss them.

With regulation it doesn't prevent things per se, it just categorises things so you know when you buy something you know what you are buying.

Small examples: cheese called feta when it is anything but, buying a ciabatta or french stick but they're just white buns shaped differently. It's endless, honestly, it just gets frickin annoying.

liratheal likes this.