1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Cool, I'll use the extra time to stockpile some more booze.

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Calling it now, @Nexxo will be mostly drunk between March 29th and April 12th.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2 week extension in which nothing will be accomplished.

We're all ****ed, so I'm gonna get ahead of the curve with Nexxo and get proper ****ed.

TheBlackSwordsMan likes this.
  4. Nexxo

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

2 weeks, provided the UK manages to agree to accept that offer:hehe:

But yeah, put on the red dress and get sh*tfaced is about all we can do.

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Is it not 2 week extension from 29th March regardless, or a further extention to the middle of may if they get the deal agreed* (*lols)

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

From what I understand:

The extensions offered by the EU regardless if the shorter 2 week for a no deal Brexshit or the May 22nd one for a May WA Brexshit will only come into force if the UK follows its own rules and procedures to approve those specific extensions.

And May has told the petition to go f*** itself by waffling on about public trust... while ignoring that she herself along with her "strategy" is far beyond the reach of public trust.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...fter-thousands-back-call-to-revoke-article-50

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yup. Thought as much. She wouldn't listen if every able bodied person in the UK smacked her in the face and said "no brexit". I think Leadsom also said anything less than 17.4 isn't really something worth considering anyway before Maytard had her chance to ignore it.

Edit: Although the two (possibly more) week extension was somewhat unexpected.

I wonder if that's enough time for her to scare the MP's into accepting her WA in MV3. Or if it's enough time for MV4 as well.

Given her shockingly crap leadership skills, I have severe doubts.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2019
  9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even a no deal needs parliament to pass legislation, despite everyone saying it's the legal default after reading that blog a few days ago and having thought about how the EU and May have danced their merry dance I'm more convinced than ever that it's not.

On the UK side we need to pass legislation to repeal legislation (to enact a no deal), something that we've already seen they're not willing to do without having something in place, on the EU side they can't force a member state to do something against its will (ceasing to apply the treaties when we've not done that ourselves would be against our will).

Basically we have to leave of our of volition, the merry dance we're seeing play out IMO is the EU and May scratching each others backs, the EU don't want to be portrayed as not honoring the result of the referendum so they're forced to play along until parliament passes an act to repeal the act that took us into the EU, and May in her typical donkey fashion is refusing to budge, believing instead that if she keeps trying parliament will eventually do what she wants and she won't have to use the only other solution open to her (calling a GE or 2nd referendum).

10. liratheal

I feel like that would be true of someone more politically apt than May.

Unless she's really good at hiding her talents, and has done for her entire career, I genuinely believe everything thus far has been accidental and unintended - Including our ability to not leave without repealing certain acts to do so.

11. Nexxo

I must admit I'm confused about this. Doesn't the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (amongst others) automatically repeal the European Communities Act 1972 on Brexit day (which this act currently has fixed as on 11.00 p.m. on 29 March 2019)?

Although section 13 of the Act says that before a withdrawal agreement can be ratified as a treaty between the United Kingdom and the European Union, an act of Parliament must have been passed which provides for its implementation, it seems vague on what happens if there is no withdrawal agreement (except that government has to tell Parliament how it plans to proceed from there). So isn't the repeal a done thing?

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK that just lays the ground work for May's deal, it's dependent on approving the final terms of withdrawal.

Although I'll admit I've not read it all.

EDIT: Re the edit: Section 9 says A Minister of the Crown may (a load of guff), subject to the prior enactment of a statute by Parliament approving the final terms of withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EU.

13. Nexxo

The Act doesn't seem very specific on what happens when there isn't a final deal to approve... Or how Parliament's recent vote against a no-deal relates to it. It seems that the default state is that the European Communities Act 1972 is repealed on Brexit day (and that in fact now a statutory instrument is required to change that date).

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FTFY. ;)

Given the current state of affairs I'm surprised it wasn't written in crayon. :D

15. liratheal

For all we know it might have been!

16. Nexxo

Naah, they would have eaten the crayons.

liratheal likes this.
  17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Petition at 3 million.

EU currently in heated talks with Italy as Italy is agreeing deals with China while the EU is looking at restricting Chinese activity in some areas.

There's more going on than Brexit, I think many in the UK need to remember that.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apparent we voted for pain, sorry lads i thought the box said Remain not Pain. ;)

19. Nexxo

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." --H.L. Mencken