1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Jo Cox gets murdered during the EU Referendum: "The country has voted Leave without a single bullet being fired".

Farage gets milkshaked: "Remainers have been radicalised!"

2. Nexxo

Didn't like the flavour: EU straight banana.

Was going to be strawberry, but they couldn't find the EU immigrants to pick them anymore.

Still, they're working on a new flavour: "sovereignty". Initial sweet hit is quickly followed by a lingering bitter aftertaste of chemical additives and empty promises.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of his own groupies that did it tbh.

I mean come on... who in Newcastle is going to spend £5.25 on a milkshake... :p

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Have you tried one of those Five Guys milkshakes? For 5 quid it'd be a hard choice to dump it on some ambulatory oxidiser rather than enjoying it myself.

5. RedFlames

6. Nexxo

If they were to suspend all the Tory councillors who have loudly proclaimed voting for the Brexit Party, of course, there would be no Tory party left.

7. RedFlames

...and how Kate Hooey has remained a member of the Labour party is an enduring question.

8. RedFlames

Key word missing from that headline imo - '...again'

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Oh, it's even better. The last bailout was a loan, ostensibly intended to be paid back with carbon credit refunds once Brexit had occurred and British Steel were no longer required to offset their carbon emissions under EU law. This time around, it's a raw handout to keep the lights on, no dancing about pretending the government might get the money back and would be doing anything other than propping up a vital domestic industry, because Nationalisation Is Icky and letting them fail would be a public embarrassment and object lesson in their economic policy not working.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Wasn't there something about China dumping steel and us blocking it? I seem to remember Jason from 3Blokes saying there were a lot of different grades/classifications of steel so I wonder if it would have helped British Steel or not.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sort of but it depends on your interpretation.

12. RedFlames

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What i don't get is the part about her offers only lasting for this parliament, does that mean this session or until a new government is elected? Because either option makes it seem like it would be easy for her offers to end up in the bin thus making them all but pointless.

EDIT: Brexiters are finally starting to eat themselves.

Last edited: 22 May 2019
  14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It does sound like they would last until the next GE (at lest from her words, we'll know more once it actually gets published), of course that requires that the vote in parliament actually happens, succeeds and the bill doesn't get amended to hell and back, not even to mention that her stint in no 10 is ever more likely to be cut short (and her successor will likely want an early GE)...

So yeah, her promises aren't worth the effort of programming her to spout them, much less the paper they get printed on.

Corky42 likes this.
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I wonder whether the imminent collapse of British Steel is going to change any minds..

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think %66 voted to leave the EU in North Lincolnshire too, turkeys voting for Christmas has never been more apt.

And yes i know it's not very nice to say that but somethings are more important than feelings.

17. RedFlames

Nope it's the evil EU's fault because it's an outstanding bill to the EU [over co2 emissions iirc] that's tipped them over the edge.

liratheal likes this.
  18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I somehow always forget that everything is the big bad EU's fault.

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Kate Hoey is voting closer to her party leader than most, so why would she be kicked out? The question is, how did the Corbyn Cabal survive this long, given they are a) unable to kill off the weakest Tory government in history, and b) are going against the majority of the Labour rank & file.

Both in the UK and the US, we have woeful major parties surviving through the unwillingness of their members to put country before party.

I wonder if the history books will record the nuance and detail of what is happening here. I fear historians will gradually sanitise the stories because they won't be able to comprehend on the bat-**** stuff that as happened.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Which might work... If she'd actually offered anything. Currently the bill is identical, with "and maybe you can have a non-binding vote on some stuff you like afterwards IDK" tacked on the end.
    No, they already got a pile of cash from the government over that bill, their current problems are over nobody from the EU wanting to source from a country who currently couldn't legislate piss from a boot with a bill written on the heel.
    Because the actual Labour electorate (the 'rank and file') voted for a more left position overwhelmingly the first chance they got at an alternate to the 'New Labour' incumbents. Said MPs either need to actually move to a more left position, or need to at least pay lip-service, if they want to be re-elected. Rock the boat too much, and their constituents have proven happy to cast them off for someone who better represents them.