1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

What can you, me or anyone else for that matter really do though to achieve that?

Write a heartfelt letter to your MP begging them to defy the whip and put country before party? Oh right, holiday, suspended, holiday, no time.
    Bring down the Government in a vote of no confidence? The government is free to set the election date in November.
    3rd extension? Theoretically possible to ask for it, but granting it is out of the UKs hands (and if the UK would accept the small print that comes with it is questionable).

Basically the government is free to do whatever the f*** it wants with Brexit, the only restraint is whatever they believe will lose them the next election, so in other words the remain side should shift focus on arguments to rejoin now as the train for remain has left.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So, what then? We just roll over and accept it?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Pretty much, yes.
    We left it too late and the ship has sailed... actions may have consequences, but so does inaction.
    While I would certainly not be opposed to stopping the stupidity I can't see a realistic path...

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What you do is look after you and yours, and move out of this country. Have skills? Emigrate. It's not hard --I've done it.

But don't do it in anger. Do it when you're calm. So that it's planned and prepared. So that you know that you'll never have to come back.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2019
  5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

But do it soon before whatever savings you have lose value abroad.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Foreign currency account. HSBC does them. Just move your GBP savings into Euro or Swiss Franc.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That Irish passport [iirc i am eligble for one...] is looking mighty tempting....

...unattainable, but tempting.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2019
  8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We asked for this. An apathetic and/or ill-informed electorate is a godsend to elitist politicians.

We (collectively) deserve all the sh!t we're about to receive.

Am I happy about it? No.

Can I do anything about it? Apparently not. Populist ignorance is very much on the rise right now.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Constitutional they can only do that if parliament can't restore the confidence of the house within 14 days.

My guess is Boris is expecting parliament to stop him leaving without a deal, the worst thing for him personally would be if we got to the 31st and he either had to ask for an extension or leave without a deal on his own volition.

I suspect he, or rather Cummings, have war-gamed possible scenarios and fully expect that parliament will find someway of blocking him and thus setting the scene for a GE shortly after we should've left, it will be parliament vs the will of the people and he'll attempt to sweep up all the Brexit party votes along with the people who believe the referendum was democratic and should be honored no matter what.

The one thing Boris doesn't want is to shoulder the blame for leaving without a deal - Parliament could've stopped a no deal but they dropped the ball - The people elected me on a manifesto to leave without a deal, I'm only following orders - Labour should've or shouldn't have done something, something.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unless Labour backs someone other than Corbyn there won't be a chance of someone else commanding the confidence of the HoC, so a Vote of no confidence succeeding in bringing down the Government would inevitably result in a GE.

However: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has an ace up his sleeve...
    He can offer Parliament a chance to pass the WA in MV4 as a way to stop No Deal, making that offer would probably be enough to survive a Vote of no confidence.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From what I've read you can restore the confidence of the house via other means, the Constitutional Affairs Committee looked into The Status of and Effect of Confidence Motions and the Fixed-term Parliaments Act (PDF) and concluded (P23, sec 6, 7) that...

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Walk away.

You can't argue with the kind of stupidity that believes Brexit isn't a horrific idea on paper, let alone in reality.

Which means there's no arguing with a good percentage of the UK population who will keep voting for whichever charlatan sells them the idea that the stupid idea isn't stupid, it's just a lack of positive attitude that's causing the problems.

At this point, whether article 50 is revoked or not, the UK is going to suffer for a good few decades to come.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's the way, good to see that positive attitude has rubbed off on you. ;)

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I make no claim to be anything other than a pessimist - But when so much has already left the UK, and so much damage has already been done to its reputation on the world stage, it's difficult to see the 'light' as it were.

If there were a referendum held tomorrow, I'd wager the remain side would win with an equally slim margin as the leave side did, and the debate would rage on with populist arses like Johnson and Farage gaining traction in the wrong direction (Well, the wrong direction in my opinion).

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

When everything from infrastructure to education and pensions is crumbling while the government is dreaming up ever new oppressive and intrusive surveillance to keep us filthy plebs in place... and thats before we even get anywhere near Brexshite.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was joking BTW, i think the suffering will be way longer than a few decades.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Decades of chronic under investment, the scam of privatisation, the breakdown of social cohesion, the damage inflicted by doxxing media, being completely unprepared for climate catastrophe (the recent heatwave was a nice reminder that no one in UK construction has ever considered keeping heat out as a priority), disaster capitalists harvesting whats left...

I could suggest some fixes, but I'd just get shouted at for being a filthy lefty liberal commie marxist snowflake:grin:

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, even Brexit's biggest haunted pencil^W^Wcheerleader reckons that it'll be 50 years before anything improves.

Bonus points to The Grauniad for this round-up of claims which includes the following paragraph:
    (My emphasis)

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Speaking of JRM, this is what he said about proroguing parliament just over a month ago...

(only the fist 1:30 is relevant to prorogation but i couldn't find a shorter clip)

When things aren't aging well in the space of a month and they were published by leading proponents for leaving without a deal you know....well words fail me.

MLyons likes this.