1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

#BritainHasExploded on Twitter is pretty hilarious.

2. Nexxo

A bit off-topic, but yes, trains in the UK are unspeakably crap. It takes just a few train rides in the Netherlands or France to really bring that point home. Item: Dutch train from Den Haag (seat of government, second-largest city in the Netherlands) to Amsterdam (capital city), at rush hour (8:30am) on a Thursday:

[​IMG]
    Yes. that was the top level of the double-decker carriage just before leaving. When it pulled out of the station (so smoothly you had to look out the window to tell) it was only three-quarters full.

[​IMG]
    This shows the leg room. Look at the distance between the knees and the seat in front. And the size of the fold-down tray, which can accommodate a magazine fully open.

Price for the 30-minute trip? 9 Euros per person. A similar distance in the UK (Paddington to Central London) would cost £38,-- per person.

In France it was a similar story. We took a TGV from Nantes and it was smooth and quiet. I mean maglev quality smooth and quiet. It was surreal.

Yeah, sorry. British trains are crap now.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

People don;t believe me that from here the ferry to Ijmuden/Amsterdam is usually cheaper than a train to London.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I believe a large part of the issue is that our infastructure didn't get flattened in the war, and as such is essentially Victorian. Couple that with the motor car taking off round about the time it would have otherwise become necessary and it's just never really been a thing.

#advancedhistorylessons

5. RedFlames

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

In the same vein as the utter nonsense of "the uncertainly over Brexit is worse then No Deal":

You ain't seen NOTHING yet.

The current situation with things up in the air is everyone continuing BAU. Anything other than maintaining full customs & legislative parity (i.e. EU membership without the current voting rights, or any of the opt-outs and favourable clauses we currently have) is going to unleash a complete and utter cascade of **** upon businesses that either have not prepared for it, or have prepared for it in the most efficient way possible: exiting the UK. For example, effectively the entire London-based financial industry currently has sites sitting empty across Europe with sufficient seat count to replicate their entire operations (plus associated datacentres and infrastructure), e.g. a certain Large American Investment Bank could literally bus their entire UK staff across the channel and fan out to remote sites if they wished, and have the operational plans and budget in place to do so. The pace and scale of rollout has been utterly insane over the past 3 years, the cabling industry alone has been on a madcap expansion spree just to keep up with demand and the global component shortages (hitting squarely at the laptop, datacentre and business desktop lines) are no coincidence. And this is considered the cheaper and less troublesome option than navigating whatever new UK/EU regulatory regime is dreamed up and may be attempted to be implemented.
    We already have a decent chunk of the car manufacturing industry either already pulling out or ready to do so, the financial industry has its hat on and its briefcase in hand, the service industry ether has its fingers in its ears when it comes to their supply chain impact or is just having a wibble and preparing to wind up operations, the agricultural industry has been yelling that they don't have the workers available to operate for a while now with nobody listening, the IP industry is half nongeographic anyway (e.g. Google) and the other half is being picked over by foreign holding vehicles at bargain basement prices (e.g. ARM), and this is all while any changes have yet to even come into force.

Anyone telling you that the worst impacts of brexit have already occurred and things will get better after leaving are either hopelessly incompetent or actively malicious.

Valo, cjmUK, Nexxo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

When I was in Norway I went on a scenic journey from... somewhere to Bergen, I think, I forget. Pretty long, pretty far, pretty scenery, and it was about £15 or something derisory for the equivalent of first class with free unlimited tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. The chairs practically reclined into beds. It was nuts.

Nexxo likes this.
  8. RedFlames

So farage has gone from 'Here's my bestie Trump to endorse Boris' to 'Brois is a traitor and a **** and we intend to run against him' in the space of a few hours...

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

10. RedFlames

Cue "on hold due to 'political sensitivities'" in 3... 2... 1...

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Unless they actually charge him with something really serious this is like the Trump impeachment. His followers will ignore that he's a crook and everyone else already knows he's a crook. I think if they put it on hold or bin it that will work out better, it will give a huge talking point to everyone else about Bent Boris orchestrating a cover up. If it's just that he cheated the referrendum the leavers will still sit around screaming about their democracies being sore.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think most supporters of leaving already know they won because they cheated, it's just that they don't seem to care as their response is "well both sides cheated" like that makes it better or they cheated to the same extent.

I get the impression it's no longer about what's best for the country or even who's right or wrong, it's simply that they want what they won even if it ends up being a turd sandwich.

Nexxo likes this.
  13. Nexxo

It's a bit like:

[​IMG]

14. RedFlames

15. Nexxo

LOL :lol:

16. RedFlames

So Farage isn't going to fail to be elected an MP for an 8th time...

Coward.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If he runs for election he has to follow the rules, which means no battle bus antics like his last 'unofficial' campaign.

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Oh dear Lib Dem's are putting out fake material.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...on-attempts-defend-entirely-misleading-graph/

I find it quite funny how parties claim to be honest with people and then pull stuff like this, especially the lib dem's who say we cannot be trusted and should not be listened to and then they put out completely false information to make themselves look better.

As for the other 2 main parties, I wonder what crap they will be pulling and thinking people are to stupid to look at it properly.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Mote, beam, you know the drill.

It's funny, though, how organisations which say "hey, maybe because Brexit has turned out to be an unending torrent of shite that has done nothing and likely will do nothing but harm the country and that fact is now more generally known than in 2016, we should think about asking the populace if they're still sure that's what they want to do" is being framed as saying we should not listen to the voting public - while saying "we don't care if every single poll has shown a massive shift in public sentiment, we definitely don't want to ask the public if they're really sure about this" is being framed as saying we should listen to the voting public.

Apparently it's Opposite Day Three Years and Counting.

But yeah, whichever idiot OKed that survey question needs their Twitter access taking away.

damien c likes this.
  20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I mean it's not fake in that nothing there is a lie but at the same time it is a hugely misleading graph which has arisen from a hugely biased question.

damien c likes this.