1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

So now we have another general election in a few weeks. People are saying that the election shouldn't be about Brexit, but we all know that in reality it is.

Way I see it;

Tory, some kind of Brexit, could be deal or no deal.
    Brexit Party, no deal brexit
    Labour, not got a clue, change tack more than they change their knickers.
    Lib Dems, no brexit.
    Independents, irrelevant.

So out of the above, who has a cat in hell fires chance of gaining a working majority in the commons and forming the new UK government? Are we going to see dodgy working alliances? Who are you going to vote for?

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The conservatives could do it, or it'll be a hung parliament. That's pretty much the size of it.

I'll probably vote Green or Lib Dem. It would be a difficult choice but I live in a safe Conservative constituency so my vote doesn't actually matter.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

We're going to see dodgy alliances, I reckon. Tory+ whoever they can cajole into being their lapdogs.

I don't believe any one party has the wherewithall to actually win enough votes to become a clear majority. Since all my attempts to register to vote have gone ignored, I shan't be voting. But if I were able to, I'd have voted for Lib Dem knowing full well that they'd roll over at the slightest breeze and go full-bore into no-deal-****-in-the-cornflakes brexit if they got into a position of power.

I don't want Brexit to happen, but no one who might have earned a little faith in my book has flat out said they won't do it. So I'd vote for the ones who claimed to be against it.

5. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I live in a Labour stronghold, it has been that way ever since the constituencies were re-formed a good many years ago. The Tories are still despised by many where I live, because of the miners strikes and Thatcher. So while I don't think the Tories will do well here I do think the Brexit Party will, whether that will be well enough to oust our Labour MP I don't know but I doubt it. 69% of our area voted for leave, but also voted in our Labour MP in the elections following the referendum. She actually improved on her majority. So it'll be interesting to see how things pan out here.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's probably going to be a slim Tory majority government, the Brexit WA will be ratified and the UK will embark on another 5-10 years of bitter, acrimonious and above all incompetent negotiation with the EU on a trade deal.

Ah, well, not my circus, not my monkeys. Currency markets predict a GBP/EUR exchange rate of 1.20. I can live with that. Meanwhile the value of our house has just gone up again and BoJo may even make good on his promise to raise the 40% tax band; that would do nicely. I can retire within 3 years, and then I'll be out of here, and the UK can chase its unicorns without me.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I will be amazed if any party gets an outright majority, but if any party achieves that I can't see it being anyone other than the Tories. More likely it'll be a hung parliament and IMO we'll probably end up with another Tory+OtherParty coalition or confidence & supply arrangement. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Tory+LibDem coalition; LibDems would probably drop the 'B0llocks to Brexit' stance quicker than a bag of hot sh!t if they had the chance of getting into power again. That or Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson would happily turn his back on every public statement he's ever made since 2016 and agree to a second Brexit referendum.

I'm in a safe Labour seat, but even if there was a credible threat of Stephen Doughty losing the seat I would probably still vote for him. Barring a few areas in defence/surveillance, he's generally voted in line with my principles/views. MPs aren't delegates though, they have a duty to represent the interests of their constituents but also the interests of the country as a whole. Something that the political discourse in this country has been lacking in the last decade or so is the ability to recognise that it is OK to disagree with people, it is OK to debate ideas that you disagree on without it having to be about scoring points, "winning", getting the best soundbite, or hurling insults at each other. In fact one of the MPs I respect most is a Tory, Dominic Grieve. He is a Conservative down to his core and I fundamentally disagree with almost every aspect of that ideology, but he has been an incredible servant to the House and this country. The way he was treated by the Tories is an absolute disgrace and it'll be a great loss to this country if he loses his seat.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Oh Jeremy. All you had to do was apologise. I mean, the damage is already done, but try and grab a extinguisher or hose and look like you're doing something, not chucking petrol on the fire. It's amazing how many labour supporters are just ignoring it, denying it even, calling it fake news and propaganda. It's the most appalling labour shadow cabinet I can remember. Nick clegg ruined the lib dems so badly it'll take a couple of generations to recover, can't even get a look in when both labour and conservatives are a shambles.

9. Nexxo

Meanwhile the government is planning to sell the NHS off to US business, Boris Johnson is a proven racist and liar and 54% of Tory voters think Islam is a threat to the British way of life. But let's talk some more about anti-Semitism in the Labour party.

Anyhow: Conservatives predicted to win 68 seat majority.

In a democracy, people get the government that they deserve.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2019
  10. RedFlames

It's somewhat depressing that the 'best' outcome is Lab, NP and/or LD a coalition that will almost certainly collapse at the first stiff breeze.

...or we end up in exactly the same spot/parliamentary config as before the election.

As for the polls, they will be wrong... just remains to be seen how wrong and in which direction...

Last edited: 27 Nov 2019
  11. The_Crapman

Oh the tories are like a bad memory that just won't go away. The bankers lost all the money their parents made when thatcher sold half the country in the 80's, now they're coming back for the rest with an obese hamster at the wheel. I'd rather waste my vote on Lord buckethead than vote tory.

It should be a golden opportunity for labour to give them a swift kick in the arse, but they're driven by an idiotic mad communist who's stole the bus from the special school and taken the window lickers along for the ride. Lib dems could offer a sensible alternative and would be (I'm my opinion) the best bet to save us from brexit and the lunatics at either end, but they still smell of the excrement shat out by clegg and people aren't taking them seriously or considering them at all.

Never have I seen this country so extremely divided on such opposing ends of the scale, either suckling on the retched puss filled teat of Boris the bog-eyed bull frog, or waiting for the sermon on the mall from their new messiah comrade corbyn. Neither are fit to run the country, either one will be a monumental cluster f of biblical proportions.

Nexxo likes this.
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

13. RedFlames

14. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Chin up, don't be defeatist with 2 and a bit weeks to go otherwise we will lose for sure if we mope around our beers right now.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

To my recollection he's done so on multiple occasions, once in March last year, again in August, and April. Now I'm not saying he couldn't have done more or passing judgment on whether he, or Labour, are antisemitic, but for the media to pretend he's never apologised or to expect him to apologies on demand seems a bit like double standards when we compare it to how much they've held Boris to account for his behavior.
    Don't hold back, tell us what you really think. ;)

16. The_Crapman

Ok
    [​IMG]
    :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Seriously though, it's so bad because he's apologised previously. He's trying to get elected and doesn't realise how bad that looks? It's moronic. Boris is an abhorrent human of the highest order, a repeatedly proven liar, an abusive husband ("allegedly" :worried: ), a complete buffoon. He's spent so long damaging his own reputation and making a clown of himself that it's become the norm, "oh look boris has his arm up the queens bum, silly fool", but you'd be stupid to forget how bad that behaviour and mindset is.

Nexxo likes this.
  17. Nexxo

Liked for the meme. :) I should print that on a t-shirt.

Basically it is depressing but not surprising how ordinary people cannot recognise a sociopath when they see one. But, you know, gammon's gonna gammon; perhaps they are recognising something of themselves in him. Psychological research shows that most people's moral reasoning is a bit shaky, to say the least.

Anyway, not my problem anymore.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Personally, in the arguement between the two main parties over who gets to **** the bed, I think I'm still hoping for a hung parliament. That way they can both argue like cats outside of the bed, with less faecal matter landing in the bed as a whole as neither are allowed in. I plan on using the duvet as a shield.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

à la Trainspotting. :eek:

20. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Perhaps we should add the third leader/party to argue that they haven't been great - the lib dems. If Jo Swinson hadn't blew the swollen budget on narcissist things such as printing her face on the bus and dodgy leaflets with dodgy charts and her messianic claims of being the PM and spent the budget wisely on other things instead they might have improved, but like Icarus they fell back to earth with a merry thump and Swinson might end up even losing her seat. She and lib dems are just as cack.