1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I gave up joking a looooong time ago

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A political party not lying in their advents? Well that's a turn up for the books:

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea but nobody can tell anymore as we're living through a time when reality is stranger than fiction. :D

adidan likes this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We've reached Peak Poe's Law.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nexxo likes this.
  6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Speaking of trust, do you mean the sort of trust between friends? Because less than a day after you mentioned trust it seems a Conservative MP didn't think much of the idiom of what's said between friends, stays between friends.

And to think, based on polling, we'll have people that think nothing of stabbing friends and colleagues (the DUP) in the back if it suites them, i don't hold out much hope for them not doing the same, or worse, to people who ain't matey with them.

7. RedFlames

Government by trolling... nothing matters or is of any consequence... as long as you 'trigger' your opponents/people you don;t like [or 'owns the libs', if you're across the pond...]...

8. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Shows I need to read up more on my mp.

This is why my 2 of my daughters aren't voting they think their is no one worth voting for. The oldest is working for NHS and the other unemployed (16-19) and looking for suitable apprenticeship.

Sounds good to me.

9. RedFlames

Again... lets see how wrong these turn out to be -

Last edited: 11 Dec 2019
  10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Polling data from the Electoral Reform Society shows 85% of people feel that politics isn’t working, while 80% feel they have little or no influence on decision-making today.

But, you know, let's vote for a known sociopath. Because he seems like a laugh, and he'll "get Brexit done". Whatever that means.

Shows that you based your vote on some hazy gut feeling about "trust", rather than facts: his demonstrable political actions. And then you wonder why your vote keeps returning politicians who are superficial, insincere and say one thing but do another.

Here is your answer: https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ Then check https://www.theyworkforyou.com/ whether your MP chosen on his party's policies actually votes accordingly in Parliament.

Democracy, y'all. If you don't make an informed choice and hold your MP to account, you'll get uninformed MPs who won't act accountably. If you vote on superficial impression rather than demonstrable action, you'll get MPs who focus on superficial impression rather than on demonstrable action.

edzieba and GeorgeStorm like this.
  11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's a bit sad that the Dutch man has to educate the British on their own politics.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Please do: that website I linked is fantastic for seeing how a given representative actually votes, rather than what they're willing to say in order to keep themselves in a job. (Doesn't do much for candidates who have never been an MP before, mind you, but it's better'n nowt.)
    This makes the idea you'd vote for that candidate even harder to understand. Let's run down the family one-by-one:

You, on or near national minimum wage: The candidate has voted to make you poorer, by voting to increase the tax you pay (VAT, "bedroom tax") while decreasing the tax he and his rich friends have to pay (no increase in income tax for earners over £150k, no bankers' bonus tax, no "mansion tax".)

Your wife, a carer: The candidate has voted to make her poorer, by voting to increase the tax she pays (VAT, "bedroom tax") while decreasing benefits payable to carers.

Daughter #1, works for the NHS: The candidate has voted for increased privatisation of the NHS while also reducing its budget in real terms, putting her job at risk, and against her right to unionise, while also making her poorer by voting to increase the tax she pays (VAT) while decreasing the tax he and his rich friends have to pay (no increase in income tax for earners over £150k, no bankers' bonus tax, no "mansion tax".)

Daughter #2, unemployed and looking for vocational training: The candidate has voted against increasing the number of jobs that would be available to her *and* against financial support while she's in training, while also making her poorer by voting to increase the tax she pays (VAT) and the cost of public transport (voting against limiting the Europe-leading rise in rail fares) while decreasing the tax he and his rich friends have to pay (no increase in income tax for earners over £150k, no bankers' bonus tax, no "mansion tax".)

The family as a whole: The candidate has voted to make the family poorer, decrease the availability of services from the local council (everything from Sure Start centres to libraries and road resurfacing) by strangling its budget, put their health at risk by failing to act against climate change, put their safety at risk by cutting police numbers and emergency service budgets, decrease the support available to your family in times of need (disability benefits, family tax credits, JSA, income support, even legal aid), made it more expensive for your children to seek higher education...

I can't see a single vote he's made which would actually improve your family's life, nor those of the families around you. On the contrary, he's stitched you and yours up at every turn - while smiling for the camera and telling you he's working in your best interests. It's a lie. Vote for him, you're literally voting against your best interests - and that's nowt to do with trust, that's just the cold hard facts of the matter.

I'm not going to tell you who to vote for; I'm simply going to tell you that voting for the candidate you've chosen there would be a very bad idea indeed. Unless you're planning to own a mansion, earn more than £150k, work in private healthcare, or run a business and would like to pay less corporation tax while simultaneously removing the rights of your workers to boost your bottom line - in which case, sure, he's a great candidate for you.

EDIT:
    Ooh, not played with that before. Just had a quick run-through: apparently I mostly agree with the Green Party, which came as a surprise, followed by Labour, which didn't. The Tories and the Lib Dems were neck-and-neck, which was another surprise: I chose the Tory environmental policy (though it was a close-run thing) and the Lib Dem Brexit policy (summed up as "let's not.")

That information ain't much use to me, mind you, as 1) I've already voted and B) the Green candidate 'ere got 1.06% of the vote in the last election, so... Yeah. (Also, I have a biiig problem with the Green Party's "no nuclear" stance, which I consider the exact opposite of the approach we need to take, so even though I seem to agree with most of their policies, the one I don't agree with is a show-stopper.)

Nexxo and edzieba like this.
  13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But Mr H, feelings....;)

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just looked at that myself.

Came out to:

Conservatives 53%
    Brexit Party 23.1%
    Labour 15.4%
    Green Party 7.7%

I thought the Labour percentage would be higher, but it doesn't matter if it was 99% Labour I will never vote for Corbyn to become the PM, in my opinion the man needs locking up in prison for the rest of his life.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Interesting - may I ask why? Like, top three reasons, I don't want to take up too much of your (or my) time here.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

66% libs, 33% green.

Although I think I knew the majority of the policies associated with each party so may have subconsciously picked policies based on bias.

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

77% green, 13% libs and labour.
    Very surprised, but also quite a few I was really eh between a couple of options so think those three could have been in any order.
    When done in the past tends to be labour + libs with greens a bit behind and conservatives nowhere to be seen haha.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I came out with a mix of Lib dem and Greens, which isn't entirely surprising. I don't think.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

that site is kind of depressing when the two biggest parties provide basically no matches in a FPTP system:

lol.jpg

And the only reason the Tories managed to sneak one in is because they where vague about it:p

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Simply put I know things that not many people know, but people who served in the army in Ireland and had to defend the little spineless scumbag know what he is like, what he has done and why he should be in prison.

I almost lost my dad because of him, and quite frankly I wouldn't waste urine on him if he was on fire in front of me.

2 innocent kids lost there lives and many more injured in the town I live in because of his friends.

I will never vote for him to be PM.