1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That sounds awful, but also not something I can opine upon unless you share the things that not many people know - and why wouldn't you, if it'd convince people not to vote for him?
    I'm assuming you mean the IRA (or Hamas, and you're further afield than I thought...) - in which case all I can go by is this Channel 4 fact-check piece suggesting that calling him "friends" with the IRA (or Hamas) is overstating things to a remarkable degree.

Also, while we're on the subject of "little spineless scumbags," is it worth pointing out that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson spent half an hour in a fridge this morning to avoid a reporter from Good Morning Britain? Hardly a mark of bravery, that.

Without more details, though, I can't say whether I consider the opinions you've formed on Corbyn to be based in fact or not - you say you've information that changed your mind on him, but I'd need that information to change mine. (Not that I like him, I hasten to add, but I dislike him less than Johnson.)

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I respect your opinion but I cannot say anything other than my own opinion from what I have been told from people who served in Ireland.

I have nothing against Irish people, I loved working there when I was there 2 years ago so please don't take this as a Anti-Irish thing because it's not.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And can you share what you've been told? Because right now all I've got is "he's friends with the IRA and my mates told me he's guilty of an offence which deserves imprisonment," the first part of which goes against the research I've been able to do and the second part of which I can't do any research on at all 'cos I have no idea what information you or your friends have but aren't sharing.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Is that really a challenge, though? I feel like the bar for liking something more than Johnson is not that high.

MLyons and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I've always wanted to visit one of those pubs in England where insecure ex-squaddies try to impress by telling tall tales of my hometown. I bet it would be hilarious. Vote Corbyn.

Nexxo likes this.
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Indeed. Now consider my situation: I am near (or if I add my wife's income to the pot) firmly in the top 5% earners in this country. I have only a few more years to go in the NHS before I can retire on a final salary pension (the really good one from 1995, not the new, still-quite-good-but-not-as-great one they introduced in 2015), and anyway, private healthcare employers nowadays really look after their high-skilled clinicians (my psychiatric nurse wife works in private healthcare and is getting good perks) --without us there is no business, and our professions are on the Immigration Authority shortage occupation list.

We are also home owners in a gentrifying neighbourhood, on track to be mortgage free in 2 years.

Funny thing is: Tories are pretty good for professional high earners like me. At a time when George Osborne was cutting benefits to the bone, I was getting tax cuts. As they kill off social house building and encourage home ownership with another help-to-buy scheme, the value of my property is driven up. Boris Johnson wants to raise the 40% tax threshold? Ta very muchly!

If anybody should be voting Tory, it should be us. After all we don't even have to live with the long-term consequences --with my EU passport, we can be outta here and retire in the South of France before things properly turn to ****. Except we never would vote Tory, because we've got a social conscience (of sorts). We'd rather pay the extra tax and see a fairer society and not see scumbags in charge who treat the electorate with psychopathic contempt. But lots of people who are being demonstrably screwed over by the Tories time and again will keep voting for them to get screwed over even more, often because they think it will disadvantage, or get rid of, people like me.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2019
    SuperHans123 likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I got something like 33%lib dems, 20 for green and conservatives, 13 for labour and brexit. I was planning on voting lib dems, but got their candidates leaflet through the door Monday and, well, he's 12. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with an mp who's not finished growing up yet.

Also, this is the first election where I'm genuinely concerned about the outcome. Usually I vote and win, lose or rootle, I'm not overly bothered. This feels so very different though, scary even.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2019
  8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Welp, good luck everyone.

ElThomsono likes this.
  9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think I'd prefer that to an MP who is old enough and jaded enough not to give a **** about anything but their own interests.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

good luck were all counting on you.png

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

overheard while voting
    'yeah well im going to vote for borris because i dont really like corbyn's beard'

Excuse me WHAT ?

adidan and MLyons like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

There's so much wrong with that I don't know where to start.

Somebody basing voting for a party based on the current leader's facial hair, that's a new one on me.

Wonder if they'd vote against Christmas because Santa is too beardy?

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

With where that was heard, they'd vote for a baby eating dog so long as it was in the conservative party.

14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Well that would be in line with many of their policies.

In other news it sounds like some polling stations are particularly busy. Hopefully there's a large turnout and that hopefully means less chance of giving the resident sociopath (and the worse ones behind the scenes) the keys back to the door again.

liratheal likes this.
  15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

put the x in the thing and the thing in the other thing and **** it i'm going back to bed

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Animals! You'd think they'd vote for the dog eating baby at least....That's Labour's fault that is, letting all those baby eating dogs into the country a decade ago.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

18. Risky

Risky Modder

I thought I'd drop in to see how this little echo chamber is doing. Alas too busy with our shops to focussed on the campaign, which could turn out to be mistake, of course.

But really I have what is surely not a partizan question: "Is too much of political reporting focussed on finding a gaff or misstatement or other 'gotcha' situation?"

I just have this nagging feeling that it would b better if there was a more open discussion on the differences in policy rather than which politician has said something that can be taken the wrong way.

Anyone else see this as a problem?

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You reckon?

Boy, where have you been in the last few decades?

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The level of political discourse in this country has, in general, plummeted down the toilet so far that it's now being flushed out to sea.

It absolutely is a problem, and there's no one simple answer to it.