1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There's also knowing/suspecting they're dicking you around because you didn't opt-out, and proving it to a tribunal's satisfaction.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Regardless of how well it does or doesn't work, I'd be surprised if that protection is even remotely afforded post brexit. And being able to opt out will mean nothing because it doesn't fall under 'scary eu' headings.

I'd expect more contracts to have minimums that put people into a work,sleep,work,sleep cycle because a home life is for them, not you.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

I can see that in 2016 the idea of our government just hitting Ctrl+Z on human rights law seemed cartoonish. But this just happened today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51184051
    Boris and Co think EU Nationals should have their right to live and work in the UK automatically revoked unless they apply to stay by June 2021. Even if they do apply by the deadline they won't guarantee the success of applications. The House of Lords disagrees.
    Boris and Co do not think EU nationals who have applied for the right to stay are entitled to any form of physical documented proof of this. The House of Lords disagrees.
    Boris and Co want Ministers to be able to disregard European Court of Human Rights rulings without any oversight by the UK courts or even the House of Commons. The House of Lords disagrees.

One of Boris and Co's manifesto pledges is to 'review' the House of Lords continued existence, as well as the Supreme Court. They are trying to do it right now. The depressing part is that they will almost certainly succeed.

On a related note some of the things the ECHR stopped or overruled our government over have included suspending the right to a fair trial, allowing secret evidence for arbitrary reasons and allowing the prosecution to submit fabricated or misleading evidence to juries. Which are all things that were done in the 70s, 80s and 90s, often when trying (suspected) Irish militants, but also in immigration cases.

4. RedFlames

And this is where it needs pointing out, again, for the 3657921st time...

The HRA, ECHR and the ECtHR are separate to the EU.

...but like everything else it stems from upper-class born-to-rule chinless wonder types taking issue with being told 'no' and the resulting tantrum.

5. fix-the-spade

When they're trying to sneak this through in the withdrawal bill does it really matter that they are seperate entities to the EU?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think it's simply a matter of EU = Germany = bad, we won the war, rule Britannia, we'll figth them on the beaches, etc, etc.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. liratheal

I feel like Boris&co are the types to lead the charge to reclassify workers as slaves.

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Mmm...people say things like that about his intentions, and his lack of integrity, but rather like Trump, his bark seems worse than his bite. I can see him doing not much of anything.

Which actually scares me more, because for Brexit to be mitigated and smoothed over as much as possible, a lot of courageous and proactive decisions and hard work will have to happen. And above all else, Boris strikes me as just...lazy. A poser. I don't think he's as malignant as everyone on left-wing social media assume, but I do think he's feckless and idle and complacent, and that's the last thing we need right now.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Shocking news, Brexit Party MEP has a realisation:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

And: Brexiteer urges EU not to 'punish British fish for their Brexit stance.

I'm sure that fish feel pretty indifferent about Brexit, really... even the British ones. But it's nice to know that us EU immigrants are now not alone anymore in being bargaining chips. :p

11. liratheal

A realisation that she's too stupid to follow up on, mind you.

12. fix-the-spade

I'm more bothered that the part of the withdrawal bill that will allow Ministers (not courts, not parliament, Ministers) to strike through and disregard ECHR rulings at will got through the lords today.

That's going to be fun.

13. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

The idea of selective enforcement of ECHR rulings is legally on very shaky grounds and it shouldn't take a Lady Hale to see that...

it could very easily be argued that we have to either accept them all or go full Greece 67 and withdraw from the Council of Europe.

14. RedFlames

This will be one of the things where the GFA says 'hello again, remember me?'...

15. Nexxo

16. fix-the-spade

But it does take a Lady Hale to make the government **** off and do it again properly. With the way they carried on with Windrush they could be enforcing something illegal for years before anyone manages to actually put a stop to it.

17. Nexxo

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Anyone looking forward to Friday night? It should be fun watching all the public displays of ignorance. It will be like that feeling you get when kids get all excited about Santa Claus paying them a visit.

19. Nexxo

My wife and I are planning to have dinner at a really quite spectacular little Romanian restaurant that we know. We may be getting drunk with the owner as he tells us again how his granddad distils his own Palinka in a converted old oil drum. :D

Only two more years to go until retirement. South of France beckons.

20. RedFlames

Because people think the ban on hormone beef only applies to/affects the US...