1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Win win then, then trendies do without their avocado toast and quinoa and as a nation we become fitter with cleaner air.

If it's healthy, nutritious and can be made tasty then I'm all for it, I'd also very much like to see a move towards more / popularising insect protein as a more traditional meat substitute.

Potentially, but if we pay farmers what they are worth such they are less reliant on exporting their produce, then potentially not, but either way that's more little picture when compared to the bigger global environment.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And bananas. And tea. And coffee. And spices. A miserable nation of boiled, flavourless everything. Deep joy.
    I'd like to see that, too. Had a few insect-based dishes in my time, and they've all been lovely.
    I'm not sure you're seeing the problem here: it's not that we grow enough to feed ourselves but export a bunch, it's that we don't grow enough to feed ourselves. There's a big hoo-ha at the moment about kids going hungry in half-term: now picture how bad it'll be when there's only actually 61 percent as much food to go around.

(Historically, we've never produced more than 83 percent of our needs; at its lowest, during wartime, it's been as low as 33 percent.)

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Camp Coffee for the win.
    And onions and wild garlic and fennel and mint etc etc etc etc

If we kept eating as we do and the hammer dropped today then yes, it'll be a cluster-F.
    But if we change our habits, and accept that all imports won't just stop, then it'll work itself out, eventually, it'll be different for a while for sure.

But hey, I'm a 'the world is overpopulated and could do with a 50% cull' kind of guy who won't drive to work without a weeks worth of supplies in the car, so take it with a pinch of whatever condiment you can still get

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The more likely outcome is this country's independant farmers get steamrollered by the super markets as they're rendered non-competitive on the export markets. Without demand from abroad there will be no choice for most but to take the low, no or sometimes negative margin contracts from supermarkets until they either go bust or get bought out for a pittance. The various European subsidies slowed or stopped that happening as much over the last 25 years, not any longer.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

People can't produce, test and roll out functional software for an unknown range of scenarios where we still don't know which will apply in a completely impossible timeline?

Should I feign mild surprise? Or resort to the good old "told you so" instead?

perplekks45 and MLyons like this.
  10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

You volunteering to be part of the 50% culled?

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I always answer yes to that question and people always get offended, like "you're just saying that to win the argument/annoy me". *shrugs*

damien c likes this.
  12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yeah why not, might get a bit of peace then.

damien c likes this.
  13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Brexit, the comedy gift that just keeps on giving:

https://www.ft.com/content/50fa05a3-80cc-4a7c-aa01-d114ac609867

14. fix-the-spade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54730425

I know it's not 'EU stuff' but it seems a good fit here. Mr Corbyn's refusal to accept anything is wrong or make any decisions ever sees him suspended from the party he led just a few months ago. The report settles any doubt as to why Mr Starmer settled those claims earlier in the year, if nothing else the guy makes decisions and carries them out.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I can only hope this is the end of his political career.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

"strongly contest"

Ha. Spineless pile of snot doesn't know the meaning of either word.

damien c likes this.
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Why would he bother contesting it anyway?

He is a wealthy old man with an allotment, just take the hint and enjoy retirement dude.

18. fix-the-spade

It's about the cult of personality he built about himself. I have a work colleague who is a true Corbynista and even now the problem isn't that Jeremy got anything wrong, it's that the public perception of him was wrong and if people would only see the truth they would be much happier. There was no anti-semitism, his position on Brexit was perfect, any doubts within the party are signs of disloyalty to be purged. This colleague also got a formal warning for screaming and shouting at me when I professed the opinion that Jeremy was an idiot and the very first Labour leader I hadn't voted for. Corbyn will go down fighting, digging his heels in and being obstinate is his specialty.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Read up about his brother, Piers Corbyn. That will tell you everything you need to know about Jeremy.

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

You can't judge a man by his brother. Take Albert Einstein for example, he was a genius, but his brother Frank was a monster.