1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Whilst i agree with the sentiment, I think the focus on evilificaiton on "fast food" restaurants is over the top; and I have a real gripe with the prevalence and proliferation of coffee shops...

We've had a new out of town retail park built near us and one of the criteria was "no fast-food", so no golden arches, burger royalty, or geographical hot-oil-cooked poultry; but a costa restaurant/drive-through, a costa inside another store, a starbucks, a gregs, a pret and two local chain coffee shops (not to mention the own-brand cafes) isnt too many coffee outlets?

and i really dont get why golden arches, burger royalty, or geographical hot-oil-cooked poultry get the blame, when its blatantly peoples fault for not understanding that eating too much too often makes you fat; its not effing rocket science.

/rant from a (you guessed it) non-coffee drinker...

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Hey it's just my takeaway from the past year of having zero franchised fast food, I'm pretty much on the same wavelength when it comes to most mega-corps.
    And don't even get me started on the food / coffee delivery services :wallbash:

We need to take a step back, enhance our calm, not measure our happiness or prosperity on the amount of things we have, we need to eat local, shop local, mend rather than replace.

Ah crap, I've gotten old :waah:

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The "Raw Diabetes with mild coffee flavour" they serve in places like Starbucks is pretty much the same cardiac arrest in cardboard as Fast Food any way, so people might as well use the terms Coffee Shop and Fast Food interchangeably.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Conversely, I just have to wait a month and go get my residency permit card.

6. Nexxo

Meanwhile...

Guess which nation is missing?

Also, in the Times of all papers:

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

And you say no good came of Brexit.
    Bloody good I say, with those around the table it'll cost billions and achieve next to nothing except further demonstrate Russia's ability to cast veto votes

8. Nexxo

It would certainly be a good learning experience for the UK about its place in the world. A bit of humility makes for maturity.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I particularly like the part where it says... "As a nation we are cursed with self-importance...", never have there been more accurate words written.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

As opposed to measures taken in beautiful regularity by the British government, right? Known for being cheap, fast, sustainable, and always fixing the issue they set out to fix without opening new ones.

Sorry, just couldn't resist. Most if not all governments do that, btw.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Exactly, we don't need to be piling more crap on top of the old crap at great expense, this ain't a compost heap.

I hold no allegiance to any political party, but thankfully this cockamamie idea of another global 'group' is just an American 'think' tank idea that'll garner no traction I reckon.

12. Nexxo

Just like the UN and the WTO? :p

perplekks45 likes this.
  13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Did either of those come from independent commercial 'think' tanks? I'm not seeing it.
    But yes, like the UN, totally ineffectual in todays landscape, they may have been the bees knee's when founded, but today, more of a toothless tiger costing over $3 billion a year to run

14. Nexxo

The alternative, of no UN, is worse.

But that's not the point. The point is that a US Think Tank doesn't even regard the UK as a player on the world stage anymore. This reminds me of Verhofstadt's speech:

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Rotary Cat.

This is why the the self-serving, corrupt arses that call themselves our government, are likely to get another term in 2024: https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/boris-johnson.119666/#post-1239267

I have had to bite my tongue very hard, if I said what I thought of those people, in that thread, I would get myself banned and, it's otherwise a reasonably good forum...

16. Nexxo

In a democracy people get the government that they deserve.

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Somewhat unfair given that they usually disagree straight down the middle and are under-informed and routinely deceived to boot.

18. Nexxo

The electorate should be able to agree that it wants: fair wages, fair justice, a good welfare safety net, accessible healthcare, education, housing, utilities and food; minimum standards of living and civil rights.

The electorate should then be able to have an adult, realistic and informed debate on how to achieve that. If it can't do that, it's because it's not being mature, nor fair, nor informed.

perplekks45 likes this.
  19. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You can't put all the blame on the electorate. For the multitude of issues you listed, they're only given a binary choice between parties who may or may not stick to their manifesto. Is it any wonder people aren't engaged?

damien c likes this.
  20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's an excuse, nothing else. If the electorate was unhappy enough, they'd start a revolution or at least start getting more active towards starting a real people's party. The Western world is too rich, fat, lazy, and scared of radical measures/change to do anything about the things we all know are wrong. I do include myself in that, at least partially.